Vince Powell RIP

I've just learnt - although uncomfirmed as yet - that Vince Powell, serial sitcom writer and creator died this morning in the Royal Surrey Hospital.

Vince's many, many credits include:
Bless This House
Love Thy Neighbour
George And The Dragon
For The Love Of Ada
Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width
Nearest And Dearest
Two In Clover

RIP. Thanks for everything. :(

Sad news.

I worked for years at the RSCH in Guildford. First Molly S dies there, now Vince P.

RIP.

RIP Vince. Alot of his sitcoms may have dated now, but he is a true legend purely for the output he gave to the television sitcom. His sitcom Two in Clover which he co-wrote with Harry Driver is for me a forgotten gem in the world of sitcom and it ranks as my eighth favourite of all time. About four months ago I read his autobiography and found it a great read.
BTW, I do believe you were going to make contact with him about a month ago Aaron, did it ever happen?

RIP Vince.

We spoke briefly yes, but alas not in any great detail. I am gutted. I'll be watching some For The Love Of Ada shortly, in memory of the great man.

Quote: Robert D @ July 13 2009, 7:37 PM BST

Shame. Never heard of him but shame. Did he write Bless This House - I don't remember seeing his name on the credits.

He and writing partner Harry Driver created the series and wrote numerous episodes. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/bless_this_house/

I've written a bio/obituary to Vince, which can be found here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000107/veteran_comedy_writer_vince_powell_dies/

Quote: Aaron @ July 13 2009, 9:45 PM BST

We spoke briefly yes, but alas not in any great detail. I am gutted. I'll be watching some For The Love Of Ada shortly, in memory of the great man.

I've got a mate who has the complete series. There's an episode on YouTube, but haven't given it a go after being dissapointed with the film version.
He also has the Powell and Driver sitcom Never Mind the Quality Feel the Width, but I have heard a rumour that Network are considering it for release next year, so I'm going to hold on in case they do.
Might put an episode of Two in Clover on tonight in memory of him.

I've not seen the film, but the series is very good IMO. If Network release Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width then that would be excellent. I have most of the surviving episodes and would love to see the rest.

Sad news. Did Vince Powell and Harry Driver also write Love Thy Neighbour in Australia (in which Eddie moves to Australia)? The DVD is in specials bins at a couple of shops, along with Father Dear Father in Australia but alas Are You Being Served [in Australia - with John Inman] has not been released.

Well Vince did, but as Harry had been dead for 6 years, I'm guessing he wasn't involved in that one! (Looking at IMDb, I suspect that a guy called Ken Sterling worked on editing the scripts for the local cultural references - he seems to have done the same on F,DF.)

And I wouldn't be at all interested in copies of both of those series, if the postage was reasonable. Whistling nnocently

According to his autobiography, Vince co-wrote it with Ken Stirling. I've seen LTNIA and it is much more watchable than the English version.

Hard to believe he also wrote Bottle Boys which tends to figure highly in worst sitcom lists

Francoise Pascal, who co-starred as saucy French student Danielle in Vince's 1977 sitcom Mind Your Language told me: "I am devastated. He was a great man and a great husband and father to his wife and children. He will be missed terribly not only by me but by millions that loved his writing and his genius in looking at the world straight on without prejudice."

Quote: Aaron @ July 15 2009, 1:22 PM BST

genius in looking at the world straight on without prejudice."

With all due respect...

If this is the old rubbish about Love Thy Neighbour being anti-black... Unimpressed

Nope, not at all.

Quote: Aaron @ July 15 2009, 5:28 PM BST

If this is the old rubbish about Love Thy Neighbour being anti-black... Unimpressed

I watched Series 3 of Love Thy Neighbour last night and the first episode directly addresses the question of the show being racist. Lots of in-jokes about BBC versus ITV too.