Back to Class - Thank You For The Music Page 2

Quote: James Cotter @ June 20 2009, 7:36 PM BST

Thanks I liked it for the character although I hated wearing it as it made me look like a prat. Did you spot the sitcom reference with the hat? Give you a clue sc-fi comedy.

I don't really watch SF.

But I certainly wish you all the best with your future projects. Keep working hard, and you might just get somewhere. :)

Quote: don rushmore @ June 20 2009, 7:46 PM BST

I don't really watch SF.

But I certainly wish you all the best with your future projects. Keep working hard, and you might just get somewhere. :)

The hat was nod to Rimmer's emerald green hat in series three of Red Dwarf as you can tell I'm a really big Red Dwarf fan.

Thanks for the best of luck, you to. Apart from the voice over what didn't you like about it?

Quote: James Cotter @ June 20 2009, 7:51 PM BST

The hat was nod to Rimmer's emerald green hat in series three of Red Dwarf as you can tell I'm a really big Red Dwarf fan.

Thanks for the best of luck, you to.

Apart from the voice over what else didn't you like about our show and why?

Quote: James Cotter @ June 20 2009, 7:52 PM BST

Apart from the voice over what didn't you like about it?

Unfortunately, James - there was just nothing original, inventive or unique about your film. All in all, it was actually quite stale.

Had I seen this fifteen years ago, I probably would have laughed. But as I mentioned in a previous post - the setting, the characters, the type of gag - I've seen it all before.

I don't really mind if something isn't funny, just as long as that person has tried something a bit different.

Glorious failure is one thing, but to fail because of laziness - well, that just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

I'm not a great fan of this.

If you need to spend 20% of the first episode giving a voice over intro then you may not be making things clear enough.

None of the main characters interact at all. It's 2 characters who are pretty one dimensional in a vacum.

Quote: don rushmore @ June 20 2009, 8:04 PM BST

Unfortunately, James - there was just nothing original, inventive or unique about your film. All in all, it was actually quite stale.

Had I seen this fifteen years ago, I probably would have laughed. But as I mentioned in a previous post - the setting, the characters, the type of gag - I've seen it all before.

I don't really mind if something isn't funny, just as long as that person has tried something a bit different.

Glorious failure is one thing, but to fail because of lazyness - well, that just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

Well your the first person out of many people to actively dislike the show. I am very happy to admit there are things that can be improved but I wouldn't go as far as you have.

First of all I don't know your age but I am guessing you are at about double my age which straight away puts you in the wrong demographic for the show. Who I see the show appealing to is a Channel Four esc audience. I.e. 18 to around 34.

I disagree with the laziness suggestion as well. For me it's something very different especially acting wise, so I came out of my comfort zone here and done quite well for person who would say acting was there third or at a pinch second job. Also myself and my co-writer Dan Pearce have never written together before so again it was something new and far from lazy.

I don't mind criticism but I feel you are in the minority rather then majority when it comes to your negative views on the show. Not everyone's going to like it and your obviously in the don't like it camp.

P.s. I'll send you the green hat signed if you want?

I did give part 1 a try.
To be honest I couldn't tell whether it had any potential or not.
The Voiceover wasn't very good & the sound was hard to pick up in general.
You & your writing partner are young with plenty of confidence so I'd say keep up the work and hopefully this will be something that will make you cringe when you look back at it and compare it to your future work.

Quote: James Cotter @ June 20 2009, 8:22 PM BST

Well your the first person out of many people to actively dislike the show. I am very happy to admit there are things that can be improved but I wouldn't go as far as you have.

First of all I don't know your age but I am guessing you are at about double my age which straight away puts you in the wrong demographic for the show. Who I see the show appealing to is a Channel Four esc audience. I.e. 18 to around 34.

I disagree with the laziness suggestion as well.

How many people have actually seen it?

I'm 32.

Laziness as in, if you had done some research you'd know most production companies would not want to go anywhere near this type of thing. It has been done to death. Good research is almost as important as good writing.

Quote: sootyj @ June 20 2009, 8:16 PM BST

I'm not a great fan of this.

If you need to spend 20% of the first episode giving a voice over intro then you may not be making things clear enough.

None of the main characters interact at all. It's 2 characters who are pretty one dimensional in a vacum.

20% of the episode is not spent giving a voice over intro it's less then that and yes we do need to spend some time in dispensing who these characters are because this is a pilot episode for a purposed series of six.

The two characters are not meant to interact, that was a deliberate decision taken by us the writers. We decided to do this because I have never seen this done in a sitcom and because there is a tenuous storyline thought out the first series. If you do not like that then your be pleased to know in the second series they interact a lot more.

Both Keith and Mark are far from one dimensional. We don't just spend the whole episode dealing out pointless one-liners that are detached from the characters own personalities. There are emotional points in the show and elements of drama which we will explore in greater detail in the series which make there fully fledged individuals.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ June 20 2009, 8:23 PM BST

I did give part 1 a try.
To be honest I couldn't tell whether it had any potential or not.
The Voiceover wasn't very good & the sound was hard to pick up in general.
You & your writing partner are young with plenty of confidence so I'd say keep up the work and hopefully this will be something that will make you cringe when you look back at it and compare it to your future work.

Thanks for the good luck. I am aware that the voiceover needs some work but when we make this professionally we will hirer a professional voice over artist. Also I can never judge anything intill I've seen the full show. Go on give part two ago.

Quote: don rushmore @ June 20 2009, 8:30 PM BST

How many people have actually seen it?

I'm 32.

Laziness as in, if you had done some research you'd know most production companies would not want to go anywhere near this type of thing. It has been done to death.

Have got a exact figure I would say someone just under 500. More soon as we our having it screened at the Picture House in Exeter. Another 250 then not including the rising internet views.

32 are you. You look a lot older.

I have already discussed the format of the show. I can clearly see everyone on here hates mockumentary but as I explained earlier it's the easiest thing to shoot in a short amount of time and it's only a demo pilot which we will properly make it to a sitcom any way when we have the budget.

Quote: James Cotter @ June 20 2009, 8:40 PM BST

32 are you. You look a lot older.

Do you mean seem a lot older?

Quote: don rushmore @ June 20 2009, 8:44 PM BST

Do you mean seem a lot older?

No look. It's the wrinkled forehead that does it. You look like a young Sid James.

Quote: James Cotter @ June 20 2009, 8:48 PM BST

No look. It's the wrinkled forehead that does it. You like a young Sid James.

I tried to offer you some advice, if you don't want to take it - fine.

As I have said before on here, I look like a young David Duchovny. You on the other hand...

Quote: don rushmore @ June 20 2009, 8:52 PM BST

I tried to offer you some advice, if you don't want to take it - fine.

As I have said before on here, I look like a young David Duchovny. You on the other hand...

... look like the sort of fella men want to be and woman want to have. Thanks I second guessed what you were going to say, it was pretty obvious I get it all the time. Talented and attractive damn I'm so lucky.

Quote: James Cotter @ June 20 2009, 8:55 PM BST

... look like the sort of fella men want to be and woman want to have. Thanks I second guessed what you were going to say, it was pretty obvious I get it all the time. Talented and attractive damn I'm so lucky.

I'd quite happily shag you. <3

Quote: don rushmore @ June 20 2009, 8:56 PM BST

I'd quite happily shag you. <3

At last some positive feedback. You are capably of human emotions after all.

Quote: James Cotter @ June 20 2009, 8:59 PM BST

At last some positive feedback. You are capably of human emotions after all.

No problem, pal. Just make sure you wear your little hat.

:)