BBC Comedy Commissioner Lucy Lumsden quits

I just want to highlight this news story a bit, as I think it is quite significant for comedy fans:

Lucy Lumsden, the long serving Comedy Commissioner at the BBC, has handed in her notice. She is moving to Sky. Why is this big news? Well, Lumsden pretty much single-handedly had the power to dictate which series were greenlit and which scripts ended up in the bin, so her departure is likely to shake things up a bit. Personally, I'm hoping it'll also result in some better comedies being commissioned for BBC Three, as I think she's showed poor judgement in that area.

It's also a significant story because she is moving to Sky. She wouldn't be taking up a job there unless Sky really were serious about their plans to start producing new comedy shows.

So there you go.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/5002690.article

So will lots of things in the pipeline suddenly be cancelled?

Quote: thefridaylink @ June 19 2009, 11:49 AM BST

So will lots of things in the pipeline suddenly be cancelled?

Probably. Or put on hold until the new guy comes in.

I think you'll find it will be business as usual.

Well, commissioners come and go...
As Micheal says (and he should know) I doubt it will cause any earthquakes in the foreseeable future.
Whatever her role at SKY is to become, I somewhat doubt it will drastically alter their approach to original comedy. Especially not in these economic times.

Though I hope this doesn't now mean a switch away from fun, studio-based sitcoms, as I am just completing one.

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 19 2009, 12:55 PM BST

Though I hope this doesn't now mean a switch away from fun, studio-based sitcoms, as I am just completing one.

Yeah, the new bloke said he only wants dark, single-camera, location set comedies. Written by women. Tough luck. ;)

Well, there's a position open now...anyone thinking of dusting off the old cv? I might have a go myself.

BBC BOSS:
So Mr Henman, what is your main drive in wanting to work here at Commissioning?

ME:
Well, I see this part of the BBC has posh, highly-polished floors and I'd love sliding along them.

BBC BOSS:
I see. Anything else?

ME:
Umm...nope, just the floors really.

BBC BOSS:
Right...and do you have any ideas for new comedy stars of...the future...Mr Henman will you kindly stop sliding when I'm trying to talk to you?!

ME:
(SLIDING PAST IN SOCKS) Les Dennis is very good!

:D

Make sure you go along to the interview wearing a spinning bow-tie. That's how they sort the comedy wheat from the comedy chaff at these commissioner interviews.

Quote: Lee Henman @ June 19 2009, 1:16 PM BST

Well, there's a position open now...anyone thinking of dusting off the old cv? I might have a go myself.

BBC BOSS:
So Mr Henman, what is your main drive in wanting to work here at Commissioning?

ME:
Well, I see this part of the BBC has posh, highly-polished floors and I'd love sliding along them.

BBC BOSS:
I see. Anything else?

ME:
Umm...nope, just the floors really.

BBC BOSS:
Right...and do you have any ideas for new comedy stars of...the future...Mr Henman will you kindly stop sliding when I'm trying to talk to you?!

ME:
(SLIDING PAST IN SOCKS) Les Dennis is very good!

Laughing out loud

Sky's comedy record is ... patchy. On one hand they gave us the excellent Time Gentlemen Please, but then they also had The Strangerers. Maybe she'll get them to dust off Heil Honey I'm Home! at last. (Someone drop a note to ITV about Hardwicke House too please.)

And as shown, it's the changes in channel controller that ends up with perfectly good pipeline-comedies being cancelled...

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 19 2009, 1:15 PM BST

Yeah, the new bloke said he only wants dark, single-camera, location set comedies. Written by women. Tough luck. ;)

I look pretty convincing in women's clothes and a wig...?

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 19 2009, 1:46 PM BST

I look pretty convincing in women's clothes and a wig...?

Then go for it Tina Walker. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 19 2009, 1:52 PM BST

Then go for it Tina Walker. :)

Now I like that! That actually kinda suits me. *girly giggle*

Now here's an interesting thought... Pulling moving to Sky 1. Would be interesting to see.

Dear God,

Please let Caroline or Kenton get the job. I'll be a good boy forever.

Amen.

Who's going to take over at the BBC or has that not been revealed yet. Bring back non-rude good-hearted comedy. That's what I say.