Stephen Fry hits the nail on the head! Page 14

Quote: Aaron @ May 19 2009, 2:40 PM BST

How, on any level, is ensuring that the public cannot have a free choice, MORE democratic? What a bizarre suggestion.

It is very bizarre, but I can't think of any other workable solution that will limit corruption and arrogance that longevity brings when it comes to power.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ May 19 2009, 1:54 PM BST

If Salmond had got his way and created what was it; the north Atlantic "arc of prosperity" with countries like Iceland, Scotland would now be bankrupt.

Schadenfreude Cool

Devolution mystifies me: why Labour want it and why the Scots want it. They want independence from England for what? To link up with someone else or plunge headlong into the EU. It's just racism against the English. I feel oppressed.

Quote: Aaron @ May 19 2009, 2:42 PM BST

...? We're talking institutions, not ideologies. Why are you blurring them into one? Will you next be suggesting that there is no difference between Apple and Microsoft, because they both want to deliver the "best" operating systems?

I was referring to the point about New Labour made by Maurice Minor.

Anyway what does democracy *really* mean?

Quote: Maurice Minor @ May 19 2009, 2:42 PM BST

Schadenfreude Cool

Devolution mystifies me: why Labour want it and why the Scots want it. They want independence from England for what? To link up with someone else or plunge headlong into the EU. Its just racism against the English. I feel oppressed.

I can't say I blame the Scots in a way. After all, they did get things like the Poll Tax first. The trouble for the Tories it told everyone in the country how mad and crazy it was.

Quote: bigfella @ May 19 2009, 2:13 PM BST

Most governments get that way after so long in power. Are

Quote: Yellows 586 @ May 19 2009, 2:57 PM BST

I can't say I blame the Scots in a way. After all, they did get things like the Poll Tax first. The trouble for the Tories it told everyone in the country how mad and crazy it was.

That's why we should keep Scotland, it's like England's petri dish. :)

Quote: oldcowgrazing @ May 19 2009, 2:46 PM BST

Nice big expenses package.

Quote: chipolata @ May 19 2009, 2:58 PM BST

Exactly. Look at the way the poor bastards are subjected to three weeks of student comedy in August, to make sure it's reasonable enough for consumption by the English! :)

Quote: oldcowgrazing @ May 19 2009, 2:46 PM BST

Tom Stoppard once said something like 'It's not the votes which make a democracy, it's the counting.'

Quote: john lucas 101 @ May 19 2009, 3:05 PM BST

Exactly. Look at the way the poor bastards are subjected to three weeks of student comedy in August, to make sure it's reasonable enough for consumption by the English! :)

:D

Although I'm still not sure we've perfected that yet. Might need another Edinburgh festival in Swansea in September just to make sure it's suitable for English consumption.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ May 19 2009, 2:57 PM BST

I do sympathise; national pride is a fine thing. If there was a golden future ahead for a truly independent Scotland leading the world then I'd say go for it (and can England come too?). But as it is, they'd be swapping one set of 'alien rulers' for another. Seems fairly pointless and can only be motivated by hurt feelings and resentment. Cutting your nose off to spite your face in fact.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ May 19 2009, 3:08 PM BST

But as it is, they'd be swapping one set of 'alien rulers' for another.

What's Battlefield Earth got to do with it?

Quote: chipolata @ May 19 2009, 3:09 PM BST

What's Battlefield Earth got to do with it?

Well the last lot that came down here kicking up a fuss died from swine flu but that was after Tom cruise killed one and Jason Stathem wrestled one in oil.

Quote: chipolata @ May 19 2009, 2:58 PM BST

Lucky people. Errr Scotland