Stephen Fry hits the nail on the head! Page 12

Quote: Yellows 586 @ May 19 2009, 12:53 PM BST

John Major's contribution to British politics will not to be remembered as was one of the great PMs. His contribution was to come up with phrases such as 'Extremely agreeable' and 'Oh yes', shagging Edwina Currie and the Citizens Charter (Cones hotline anyone?) His greatest triumph and disaster for the Tories was to win the 1992 general election. It's only until recently the Tories have recovered from that and getting rid of Thatcher in 1990.

That nice Mr Major got more votes in 1992 than Blair did in 1997. In 1997 the silent majority of Margot Ledbetters decided to stay at home: couldn't bring themselves to vote for Bambi Blair but couldn't vote Tory again either. Sadly for the Tories (and for Parliamentray democracy) it took a very long time for Margot & Co to grace them with their support. They have it now so things should be interesting at election time...

So: who is the new Speaker? Vince Cable would be good as he has earned respect, is liked and known by the public, is sensible, talks common sense and has kept his nose clean. But does he still harbour other ambitions? He talks sense on the economy, so could he cope with having to keep quiet in future?

Quote: Aaron @ May 19 2009, 1:16 PM BST

True. But he also part-privatised the Tube and was generally a big fat shiny bell end.

Hoorah! Aaron agrees with Sootyj that privatising the Tube was stupid.

You going to go all the way and join me in praising Red Ken for fighting it tooth and nail and massively improving bus services in the capital.

Sir George Young, I hope. http://www.sirgeorgeyoung.org.uk/

Quote: Maurice Minor @ May 19 2009, 1:17 PM BST

That nice Mr Major got more votes in 1992 than Blair did in 1997.

Yes, and whoever wins the next election will win with less votes than Tony Blair did in 1997. We're into a game of diminishing returns now, as voter turnout falls year by year and election by election.

They have it now so things should be interesting at election time...

No it won't. David Cameron - aka Tony Blair 2 - will win with a landslide. It's hardly a mystery what the outcome will be.

Quote: sootyj @ May 19 2009, 1:20 PM BST

It's London. Who gives a f**k? Really?

Quote: chipolata @ May 19 2009, 1:11 PM BST

He was great because he genuinely went against the grain of what a modern politician is, in much the same way Borish Johnson does. His mangling of the English language and punching of mullet-headed twats were deliciously at odds with the identikit New Labour clones.

He makes my skin crawl. He's just a thuggish goon who was given a succession of high profile non-jobs to appease the Lefties. Totally out of his depth and not a very nice man. He's the worst sort of Labour politician: proud of his roots and background, but can't wait to sit in a subsidised restaurant all day and get the tax payer to fit mock-tudor beams to the house his wife lives in, whilst he pokes his secretary and spends his weekends playing croquet in grace-and-favour houses. Living it up in exactly the same way as the Tories he despises. A friend of mine (a teacher) was at a school where he was launching some initiative or other and reported that most of his comments to the women present were of the "two sugars in mine, love" variety. Utterly loathed.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ May 19 2009, 1:23 PM BST

He makes my skin crawl. He's just a thuggish goon who was given a succession of high profile non-jobs to appease the Lefties. Totally out of his depth and not a very nice man. He's the worst sort of Labour politician: proud of his roots and background, but can't wait to sit in a subsidised restaurant all day and get the tax payer to fit mock-tudor beams to the house his wife lives in, whilst he pokes his secretary and spends his weekends playing croquet in grace-and-favour houses. Living it up in exactly the same way as the Tories he despises. A friend of mine (a teacher) was at a school where he was launching some initiative or other and reported that most of his comments to the women present were of the "two sugars in mine, love" variety. Utterly loathed.

Like I say, a great character. You're proving my point here. :)

Quote: chipolata @ May 19 2009, 1:22 PM BST

Yes, and whoever wins the next election will win with less votes than Tony Blair did in 1997. We're into a game of diminishing returns now, as voter turnout falls year by year and election by election.

No it won't. David Cameron - aka Tony Blair 2 - will win with a landslide. It's hardly a mystery what the outcome will be.

Ah, I think the Daily Telegraph has helped to ensure a bumper turnout. And it'll still be interesting to watch the likes of Hoon, Smith and Brown be booted out or humiliated.. like 1997's 'Portillo Moment'.

All together now; "Thirteen years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming..." :D

Quote: Maurice Minor @ May 19 2009, 1:26 PM BST

Ah, I think the Daily Telegraph has helped to ensure a bumper turnout. And it'll still be interesting to watch the likes of Hoon, Smith and Brown be booted out or humiliated.. like 1997's 'Portillo Moment'.

They'll never be another moment as sweet as the Portillo moment.

All together now; "Thirteen years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming..." :D

Whatever happened to D:Ream?

Quote: sootyj @ May 19 2009, 1:20 PM BST

You going to go all the way and join me in praising Red Ken for fighting it tooth and nail and massively improving bus services in the capital.

I'm not going to comment on the buses as I've no real knowledge of what they were like, but certainly. The privatisation of the Tube was barmy beyond comprehension, and I happily and humbly salute Ken's fight against it. He did - and attempted - quite a bit of good as Mayor. His commitment to the good of London was commendable.

That nice Mr Major got more votes in 1992 than Blair did in 1997. In 1997 the silent majority of Margot Ledbetters decided to stay at home: couldn't bring themselves to vote for Bambi Blair but couldn't vote Tory again either. Sadly for the Tories (and for Parliamentray democracy) it took a very long time for Margot & Co to grace them with their support. They have it now so things should be interesting at election time...

So: who is the new Speaker? Vince Cable would be good as he has earned respect, is liked and known by the public, is sensible, talks common sense and has kept his nose clean. But does he still harbour other ambitions? He talks sense on the economy, so could he cope with having to keep quiet in future?

Major got more votes (1992) than Blair (1997) that's true. Attlee got more votes than Churchill in 1951 and he lost the election. Thatcher had massive majorities in the 80s with about 43% of the vote. Similar with Blair in 1997 and 2001. Macaroon could have a massive majority at the next election with barely 40%. Something ain't right there.

No Vince Cable for Speaker. He wouldn't be allowed to speak on any issues and, let's face it, he's one of the few MPs people listen to. So no for me.

it'll still be interesting to watch Smith be booted out or humiliated.

*prays* Please please please please please please.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ May 19 2009, 1:34 PM BST

Major got more votes (1992) than Blair (1997) that's true. Attlee got more votes than Churchill in 1951 and he lost the election. Thatcher had massive majorities in the 80s with about 43% of the vote. Similar with Blair in 1997 and 2001. Macaroon could have a massive majority at the next election with barely 40%. Something ain't right there.

The Conservatives also got more votes than Labour in England in the 2001 GE, and I think (although am not certain) 1997 too.

Quote: Aaron @ May 19 2009, 1:39 PM BST

The Conservatives also got more votes than Labour in England in the 2001 GE, and I think (although am not certain) 1997 too.

I think that was only the case at the 2005 election.

Quote: Yellows 586 @ May 19 2009, 1:47 PM BST

I think that was only the case at the 2005 election.

2005 still sounds like the future even though it's the past.

Which is another issue- devolution. Can't understand why Labour brought all that in with their guff about how it will 'strengthen' the Union. Balls will it. The Scots will get their referendum and, if the SNP play it right, their independence. Then Labour can kiss goodbye to power forever. Madness on their part. Or arrogance I suppose: "We will control the Scottish Parliament..."

Quote: chipolata @ May 19 2009, 1:48 PM BST

2005 still sounds like the future even though it's the past.

It does to me. I think it's the 1990s still.