Star Trek Movie! Page 2

The BBC's story -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7989146.stm

"Just saw the new Star Trek movie and it MELTED MY PANTS!!!!!" Heh.

Quote: DaButt @ April 17 2009, 4:51 PM BST

They showed the full movie in Austin, Texas. A disguised Leonard Nimoy introduced it. I would have made the 75-mile drive had I known what they were planning.

That was it, I stand corrected.

I think it shows disrespect to the original actors to recast the parts. Shatner is Kirk, and Nimoy is Spock, not these youngsters they've cast.

I don't think it shows disrespect; it's a remake, or a re-start or however you want it. It's bringing the Trek universe to a new audience. The casting makes sense - Pegg and Quinto have some cache among UK sci-fi folk. I'm not sure about the others, I'm sure they're known in the US. I'm happy about this, and I generally hate remakes. At least it's not being done by the Enterprise guys.

The Daily Mail film reviewer gives it 5 stars in his advance review.

My Trekkie mate actually rang me up to tell me about the positive reviews in the Daily Mail and Evening Standard.

I might have to go and see this now.

Quote: Bad dog @ April 21 2009, 3:36 PM BST

The Daily Mail film reviewer gives it 5 stars in his advance review.

Is this the same guy who gave Indiana Jones and the Island of the Crystal Skull five stars? And thought Crash was one of the most evil and dangerous films ever made?

(Although Star Trek has got pretty positive reviews all round, so the signs are good).

Ben Cross plays Sarek, Spock's father. The only other thing I know him for is playing Harold Abraham in Chariots of Fire! Obviously not a actor who operates in the present tense.

Quote: chipolata @ April 21 2009, 3:45 PM BST

Is this the same guy who gave Indiana Jones and the Island of the Crystal Skull five stars? And thought Crash was one of the most evil and dangerous films ever made?

It's Chris Tookey, though he should change his name to Chris Turkey because he gives so many turkey reviews (including Watchmen, which I think was just done for effect). Some weeks out of 6 films reviewed he'll award 5 turkeys, and the other film will get one star. I cut out and kept his review of Hostel, which was a classic, as you can imagine.

Quote: Bad dog @ April 21 2009, 3:58 PM BST

It's Chris Tookey, though he should change his name to Chris Turkey because he gives so many turkey reviews (including Watchmen, which I think was just done for effect). Some weeks out of 6 films reviewed he'll award 5 turkeys, and the other film will get one star. I cut out and kept his review of Hostel, which was a classic, as you can imagine.

Yet bizarrely, he really loved Eden Lake, one of the most violent films of recent years! :S

(It is a great movie, but not the sort of thing you'd expect him to like, although I guess it does playt like all of your average Daily Mail readers fears writ-large)

I've heard Eden Lake is a good film, but haven't seen it yet. How many stars did he give that?

Sounds like he can't give a hoot about movies, as long as he gets paid.

To be fair, he doesn't just give some lazy remark like 'not great, but horror fans will love it' like some of the film reviewers do (i.e. the Sun, Mirror etc.). He does go into detail a bit more than they do.

Quote: Bad dog @ April 21 2009, 4:32 PM BST

I've heard Eden Lake is a good film, but haven't seen it yet. How many stars did he give that?

Five stars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1054787/Eden-Lake-A-great-movie-stomach-it.html

Wow! He used the words 'great movie', so I'm shocked.