Doctor in the House Page 4

No Region 0 option? :(

I got Doctor Down Under a week or two back (along with the Aussie versions of Father Dear Father and Love Thy neighbour) and stuck it into my R2 only machine without thinking and it played fine. So apparently yes they're region 0.

But didn't Australia get rid of Region coding recently anyway?

What's Love thy Neighbour in Australia like? I fancy giving it a go.

Quote: Hercules @ September 14, 2007, 2:53 PM

I got Doctor Down Under a week or two back (along with the Aussie versions of Father Dear Father and Love Thy neighbour) and stuck it into my R2 only machine without thinking and it played fine. So apparently yes they're region 0.

Ah, I'll definitely have to get my hands on those! Where do you buy from?

Quote: Aaron @ September 16, 2007, 1:03 AM

Ah, I'll definitely have to get my hands on those! Where do you buy from?

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/793831

Also have a look on ebay. The Love thy Neighbour one is certainly there, I've seen the other two on, but many have been taken off now.

Quote: Jack Massey @ September 14, 2007, 4:26 PM

What's Love thy Neighbour in Australia like? I fancy giving it a go.

It's probably the least effective of the three "translations" as the original format doesn't really survive the journey to Oz intact. Jack Smethurst's Eddie is always watchable though.

I'm hoping for a release of Are You Being Served in Australia next...

You don't mind giving me a quick episode guide on the seven episodes of it do you Hercules, I would be most grateful.

Quote: Jack Massey @ September 16, 2007, 10:10 PM

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/793831

Also have a look on ebay. The Love thy Neighbour one is certainly there, I've seen the other two on, but many have been taken off now.

Thanks Jack, noted that. :)

Quote: Aaron @ September 14, 2007, 2:31 PM

No Region 0 option? :(

Quote: Hercules @ September 14, 2007, 2:53 PM

I got
But didn't Australia get rid of Region coding recently anyway?

The thing is, My Dvd players haave all been swingers who'll play anything. Its just DVD drives that seem to be racist.

I think Region 9 is all. and I only seem able to choose from what i've put in so far. Australian DVDs are generally a con, which is why i think we have seperate regions to begin with.

Region 9 doesn't exist. Only 1 to 8. Region 0 doesn't exist either, but it's what discs with no regioning are commonly referred to as.

And yes, DVD drives are a bitch. There are ways to unlock them, but you have to be really careful as a mistake can lock the drive permanently, rendering it completely unusable. Unless you really know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend it.

That just sucks... I like to use screen caps from DVDs as a desktops, and as a source for avatars and for use in parodies. They're trying to keep us divided so we won't team up and rebel. Aways keeping the square eyed man down.

Quote: Jack Massey @ September 17, 2007, 3:41 PM

You don't mind giving me a quick episode guide on the seven episodes of it do you Hercules, I would be most grateful.

I’m typing this at work from memory, so apart from the first the episode order is all over the place. Also, one completely escapes me, so it can’t have been that good.

Eddie arrives in Australia (Joan and son supposedly following when he gets settled). In the airport bar he gets into an abusive argument with Jim an Australian. It transpires that Jim is not only Eddie’s foreman, but his next door neighbour.

When Joyce and Bernard, the couple Eddie is lodging with, go on holiday Eddie is left alone to look after the house. But apparently there are burglars in the area.

With Joan thousands of miles away Eddie feels in need of female company. He meets a woman in the club and arranges to go back to her place. But the woman is Jim’s ex wife and he wants her back.

Eddie decides that the workforce at the engineering firm at which he works is in need of union representation.

Boasting of his cricket prowess Eddie is recruited to the local church team. However, when he thinks that the opposition are fielding a former professional, he feigns illness to get out of playing.

Jim has bred a new type of flower and he and Eddie decide to go into the horticultural business together.

All in all fairly lightweight stuff and probably only worth a punt if you're a LTN completist (a difficult task considering the UK DVD releases)

Thanks alot Hercules. The only thing I didn't like about LTN was its outdated use of racial language. Does this series still use it?

Quote: Jack Massey @ September 19, 2007, 3:46 PM

Thanks alot Hercules. The only thing I didn't like about LTN was its outdated use of racial language. Does this series still use it?

Hardly at all really; in which case this series may be ideal for you.

Since this thread has veered off topic from the Doctor series somewhat, can I recommend Doctor Down Under as a worthwhile purchase? From what I’ve seen (haven’t had time to watch ‘em all yet) it’s certainly not up there with the best ITV episodes, but it has more life in it than Doctor on Top.

For Sir Geoffrey: there's a software program called DVD Region Free (google it) which allows your computer DVD drive to play any region DVD without hassle (you have to run the program before launching the DVD though. It's a commercial app but it's not expensive and it works really well.