Current radio comedy Page 147

Glad that Sean Lock's radio stuff is finally getting an official release.

Series 1 of the radio version of 15 Storeys High has been repeated a couple of times by Radio 4 Extra more recently - once every other year since 2017 - and it was being repeated just now, but they don't seem to be showing the fifth episode this time, for some reason. Series 2 and 15 Minutes Of Misery haven't been repeated since the early 00s as far as I'm aware.

Series 9 of Meet David Sedaris is now on BBC Sounds

Caught Room 101 yesterday and thought Julian Clary was very funny. Pity we don't see/hear more from him nowadays.

Quote: chipolata @ 29th June 2023, 11:45 AM

Caught Room 101 yesterday and thought Julian Clary was very funny. Pity we don't see/hear more from him nowadays.

The London Palladium pantomime is what you need.

He did a very good doc. on Noel Coward awhile back, going to see his house too etc.

'Call Jonathan Pie' on BBC sounds is very good

Nb! Incredibly strong language (for a radio show)

OK, OK, before anyone jumps up and down about it not being exactly "current", but the latest repeat of Chain Reaction had just finished and the last episode was Mark Steel interviewing Barry Davies, which may not sound a thrill a minute, but it was very funny...............and here's summat else that was :-

I then listened to Tim Vine's 2018 Christmas Chat Show

I'm loving The Egg, with Harry hill

Eps are only 15 minutes long but good stuff

By current do you mean New or what is currently on the radio?

I normally work on Fridays but I heard the Marriage Lines this morning on Radio 4 Extra.

Starring Richard Briers and Prunella Scales as newlyweds I used to watch it on TV when I was young. At the time I probably didn't really understand it but it was well written although clearly of its time. But I enjoyed it.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th August 2023, 5:44 PM

By current do you mean New or what is currently on the radio?

I take current as being now, not necessarily new

One of my all time favourite radio comedies is back on BBC Sounds

Desmond Olivier Dingles Compleat Life & Works of William Shakespeare

Very funny

Patrick Barlow was fantastic!

Quote: lofthouse @ 7th September 2023, 1:40 PM

One of my all time favourite radio comedies is back on BBC Sounds

Desmond Olivier Dingles Compleat Life & Works of William Shakespeare

Very funny

Patrick Barlow was fantastic!

It was on Radio 4 Extra this morning.

I thought it was rubbish and gave up after about 10 minutes.

Missed this sitcom first time around

Anyway it's pretty decent and back on BBC sounds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000n5d9

Whenever I have R4Extra on I keep hearing lots of comedy serials from the last couple of decades which are mere sub Wodehousian twaddle obsessed with class and posh women being bitchy about each other's social climbing. It's very samey and unoriginal, and doesn't show much imagination from the coterie of used writers or commissioners. Not impressed, especially when it's so hard for unknowns to get a commission.

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st July 2023, 3:29 PM

'Call Jonathan Pie' on BBC sounds is very good

Nb! Incredibly strong language (for a radio show)

Just started listening to this and really enjoying it. It feels a very un BBC like comedy with a straight, middle aged white man as the main character. I think they've got the main character spot on though with that mixture of arrogance and brittleness that I often saw in news reporters and producers.

If I'm being picky a bit more plot would be nice rather than a 'theme of the week' for Jonathan to get upset about.

Best bit so far is the 'Head of Talk' telling Jonathan he's put on thousands of listeners but they're the wrong kind of listener and the show will be cancelled if he continues that way.