Current radio comedy Page 144

News Quiz is back with a Zoom audience. Aside from the occasional technical glitch and the usual delays in speaking it works quite well. Andy Zaltzman is the new host and managing to bring his own style to the show and not just in cricket metaphors. Its not exactly evolved but there are a few new bits such as questions from the audience which normally I'd skip but not too bad so far. I suspect they choose the few funny bits bit like The Now Show when they read out contributions at the end.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/news/5916/james-veitch-on-bbc-sounds/

They said it would stay up, but James Veitch's Contractual Obligation has been taken off BBC Sounds now.

It's not that current, but I really enjoyed Tom Wrigglesworth's Hang Ups. Still got loads to catch up on too.

Repeats of "Chain Reaction" on R4+ - most so very, very funny. The Harry Hill interviewing Tim Vine was hysterical.

Very much enjoying The Skewer and the new series of The Hauntening which started this week. Also been re-listening to Linda Smith's A Brief History of Timewasting. The references are pretty dated now but still really love that show. All via BBC sounds.

Love that show!

Chris the builder!

Betty next door

'Set the controls, for the heart of the suuuuuuuun!!"

I should listen to it again really, I hope they repeat series 2 as well but it doesn't seem to be scheduled.

Also plan on getting round to Two Episodes Of Mash now that it's on Audible.

Can anyone name me a better radio sketch show than John finnemores souvenir programme?

I think it must be the funniest one - ever...

Quote: lofthouse @ 16th October 2020, 10:04 PM

Love that show!

Chris the builder!

Betty next door

'Set the controls, for the heart of the suuuuuuuun!!"

So good!

"Oh that's right, leave me hanging on out here with my bones crumbling like my sister Marjorie's fruit cake"

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th October 2020, 12:01 PM

Can anyone name me a better radio sketch show than John finnemores souvenir programme?

I can't. He sets an amazingly high standard.

The only thing I can think of that runs it close in my mind is The Trap. They did a pilot for Radio 2 which I thought was absolutely brilliant but then it didn't get picked up for a series. Well worth a listen if it gets repeated
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kjl9h But obviously that was just one episode- Finnemore is consistently brilliant series after series.

The only one that comes even close for me is That Mitchell and Webb Sound

Listened to series 1 of Linda Smith's A Brief History Of Timewasting - love it, biting and surreal. When you get into it it's incredibly rewarding, dinnerladies was similar for me, so funny.

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th October 2020, 12:01 PM

I've been enjoying Small Scenes, There's a bit more variety than John Finnemore's Sketch Show which much as I enjoy it seems a bit too clever and knowing at times.

Now Cabin Pressure probably in my top three list of Radio Comedy....

Yep it's great

My faves would be , in no particular order

Hancock
Round the Horne
Cabin pressure
Old Harry's game
Bleak expectations
Party
John f souvenir programme
Mitchel and Webb sound
...and anything that Patrick Barlow did! Desmond Olivier Dingle/National Theatre of Brent etc etc

The top 20 radio comedy shows as judged by a panel of "experts":

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/nov/17/im-sorry-i-havent-a-clue-greatest-radio-comedy-says-panel-radio-4?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR1M-ogM42bo7TfMtzlPwd6cJHLEGcbm_M0M4ZLnHN-Q2YfJix9j

Never heard of Blue Jam but otherwise it feels a reasonable if slightly predictable list.

I'd probably want to find space for Hamish and Dougal; Old Harry's Game; Tom Wrigglesworth and my outlier The Casebook of Max and Ivan.