Sample of my script Page 2

I agree with everyone else who has said that presentation is important. Maybe the fact we are all saying means it might be worth listening to (though I admit the majority used to think the world was flat). Anyway, I digress. If you can, please sort out the caps lock more than anything. It's almost impossible to read when it's all in caps.

But I did try.

So, here's the verdict.

Firstly, it's incredibly hard to judge an excerpt without knowing where it sits, or what the sitcom is about. Next time, maybe consider giving us a short (one paragraph) introduction to describe the sitcom overall and what this episode is about. (e.g. if Cleese and Booth popped on here and gave us an excerpt for peer review, they might say "Fawlty Towers is about a snobbish hotelier who is always looking for a better class of guest, though he's kidding himself and he's really found his level. His efforts are often frustrated by his nagging wife and his inept Spanish waiter. In this episode a bang on the head leads him to behave inappropriately in front of some German guests.")

They'd write it better - but it gives us something to hang the excerpt on, if you see what I mean.

This leads me on to the main problem I had - I didn't understand WHO the main characters were, WHAT they wanted from life/the episode, and WHY they were where they were. I felt I needed to know what this episode was all about. Us comedy viewers need a bit of spoon feeding every now and then - if you do it with subtlety it doesn't feel force fed. Try watching the first few minutes of a few of your favourite episodes and I bet they will plant the seeds of a story very early on to hook you in. Your excerpt (admittedly, only an excerpt) didn't hook me, because I couldn't work out if there was a hook.

Another tip I'd give is making sure you describe every important action on the page, as otherwise we aren't going to get it. I've a feeling you might have something really funny in your head with the mumbled mime that's repeated several times early on - but unless you describe the mime in detail first time, it'll just remain in your head and won't be transferred to a script reader and then performers (and ultimately viewers).

Finally - some positive stuff. Some of the dialogue shows promise. I think you have a bit of an ear for the language of this group, but give yourself a chance to show it by formatting it as well as you can, and doing a bit of a polish on it yourself before showing it to anyone else. It isn't particularly funny so far, but I always think that's the least of a script's problems.

Good luck.

Hi Hun and welcome.
Here is a little thing i have learned. This forum is a fantastic place to show your work and get great feedback, be it good or bad. Many of the members are sticklers for spelling and grammer. Although I most certainly am not, I can understand where they are coming from to a point. I also tend to write in slang/text for some of my sketches and i see no problem with it, but thats just my opinion. Modern day times and all that. However please take on all the great advice. It's free and meant in aid not atall in hindrance. These people are here to help.
Now on your sketch sample. There is something there. I agree it has some potential. For a first time go its not bad. Try a little trimming here and there and shorten it a bit. The first time i was told a sketch was to long i was horrified. It is a fair point though. People just want to have a quick read and then write their opinions.
Dont be disheartend. I promise you the intial (How dare all you bastards not like my work as much as I) does wear off. Keep posting. xxx

Aha! The perfect person!

Charley, can I say how much your layout has improved in the last few months. It's actually becoming a pleasure to read your stuff and the funniness is much clearer now my brain isn't confused with text speak and slang ;) Thanks

Dan

I echo Dan, Charley. Your scripts have been transforming all the time. Now I know where I am in the landscape of your sketches, it isn't so scary a place to be.
:P

Yeah charley, i know i'm not expert but i can say that you have much improved, whats the secret?.

Awwwwwwwwwww! I am in tears here lol. Advice is the secret. It's hard at first when you initialy put your work out and it is criticised. You go all defensive and blub. However if you learn to keep it on board it can only help you. Then when you use that advice and get some praise, wahey wahoo and whee.
So Mr Max Rex, stay, and use all this friendly advice to your advantage.

Ps. Thanks guys for your honesty when giving feedback.

Charley takes all the praise in Max's thread!

Fantastic!

I agree with the others, it's like you've took a few deep breaths before typing, insteadof gettting reallly EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!

Although never loose that completely.

"Charley, can I say how much your layout has improved in the last few months".

What exactly do you mean by this Swerytd?

Quote: David Chapman @ April 11, 2007, 9:03 PM

"Charley, can I say how much your layout has improved in the last few months".

What exactly do you mean by this Swerytd?

Hi David

Charley was a little... enthusiastic... when she started posting and her posts were (I think it's fair to say) a little difficult to read. She's much better now.

:)

Dan

I think Mr Chapman was refering to you laying Miss Rance, and how much her sexual technique has improved.

I really hope so now i've said it out loud.

Sorry to bring it back to topic, but I'm a little miffed that having bothered to give feedback to MAX REX they appear to have had a hissy fit and stormed off.
Knowing that others among you spend a lot of time on here giving good advice freely, how do you have the patience?????!???!??

We do because thats what makes the place great, not everyone can take the critism but thats part of the job right?

:D

If there was a god I'm sure he'd bless you.

I'd like him to bless my Beer but he's childish and just does big miricles like parting sea and flooding up the place etc,...

If anyone is childish it has to be Jesus. The Holy Spirit is just spooky.