Not Going Out - Series 2 Page 34

Quote: pinkISH @ October 26, 2007, 12:31 PM

bummer. i was so looking forward to understanding that percentage of jokes i couldn't hear/get, not being English and all.

oh, well, i guess that's that, then.

PinkISH fret not, I have my pen poised over my Basildon Bond as week speak. I will investigate further. We can't let these things go otherwise... well I'm not sure what'll happen otherwise but it just ain't right!

Just a quick question for Andrew or Krenz, if they're still about. I was wondering if the order for the episodes in series two changed at all after the read throughs or were the read throughs not done in order. The reason I ask is I went to the second read through night and the first episode they read was Baby and the second was Librarian but they weren't broadcast in this order.

After having watched the DVD extras for the first series, it is mentioned that the order of the episodes in the first series was changed, although I gather the production schedule was different and all of the episodes were filmed before the first one broadcast.

Hope that makes sense-it does in my head!

Thanks!

Q

Quote: Ray Dawson @ October 26, 2007, 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if Andrew and co would consider scripts from other writers?
I'm writing one at the moment where Lee gets a smack on the nose, and the cleaner gets shot.

We wouldn't take unsolicited scripts, I'm afraid. Each episode is worked up by Lee and two of the other writers, then one of them goes off to write a first draft, Lee and two other writers work on a second draft, and then gags are changed/added continually after the read-throughs and during rehearsals. It's never a case of one writer coming up with their own episode.

Also, we haven't been green-lit for a third series yet. And Peter Fincham, who commissioned it, has gone. Eek!

Quote: Quentin @ October 28, 2007, 1:03 PM

Just a quick question for Andrew or Krenz, if they're still about. I was wondering if the order for the episodes in series two changed at all after the read throughs or were the read throughs not done in order. The reason I ask is I went to the second read through night and the first episode they read was Baby and the second was Librarian but they weren't broadcast in this order.

After having watched the DVD extras for the first series, it is mentioned that the order of the episodes in the first series was changed, although I gather the production schedule was different and all of the episodes were filmed before the first one broadcast.

Hope that makes sense-it does in my head!

Thanks!

Q

The order was never fixed for series two, other than Mortgage was obviously the opener, and Gangster was the closer - mainly because we had a fairly fixed idea of order for the first series, and then Death, which was originally the final episode, was moved to episode two as it was considered the strongest. Because of Lucy and Guy, we had to run Gay first, as that's when they met, but the other four could be in any order really.

Quote: johnny roulette @ October 26, 2007, 9:08 PM

i thought it was the last episode tonight. but it doesn't seem to be on.
was it last week? the one about the jewels?

That was the last episode.

The poor old beeb seem to be in melt down at the mo, fingers crossed on the third series.

Everything crossed.

Quote: pinkISH @ October 26, 2007, 12:31 PM

bummer. i was so looking forward to understanding that percentage of jokes i couldn't hear/get, not being English and all.

oh, well, i guess that's that, then.

Yo pinkISH, I have a useful site for subtitle information

http://dvd-subtitles.com/

I am sad to say that Not Going Out (series 1) is indeed in the Hall of Shame, it does not have a subtitle option. Although there is a campaign to have subtitles on all British releases it would seem NGO have 'cocked a deafun' as we say 'round here!
Does anyone know the production company behind NGO? I may give them a nudge.

Avalon are the production company.

They need to get on with the Time Gentlemen Please relases. (But that's another story.)

As for the series 3 dilemma, they would be absolutely f**king barmy not to commission one. Unless Andrew can say otherwise, I believe that to date it's been a big hit, so a pretty much guaranteed success for future. In other words, exactly the kind of show that Auntie will be happy to recommission.

And if anyone from the Beeb is reading, please for the love of God DO commission more!

Quote: Aaron @ October 30, 2007, 12:42 PM

As for the series 3 dilemma, they would be absolutely f**king barmy not to commission one. Unless Andrew can say otherwise, I believe that to date it's been a big hit, so a pretty much guaranteed success for future. In other words, exactly the kind of show that Auntie will be happy to recommission.

The BBC do make the odd barmy decision, and it has been known for new controllers to shake things up to show how great they are - but I certainly hope NGO is safe too!

Lucy Lumsden (BBC controller of comedy commissioning) recently told Broadcast Magazine she was "proud" of Not Going Out... which is a good sign, suggests that she'll be promoting the idea of another series to whoever becomes the new BBC1 boss.

I am looking forward to a third series myself.

Mannikin Bird, thanx a lot for that website, I didn't know of it. It's a Shame that NGO doesn't have English subs.

Maybe Andrew can post transcripts of the show? That will be the same as subtitles, as I could sync them myself :) I could also pay for them Cool

I've got an offer for tickets for tonight. Is that the Christmas show?

Christmas recording is tomorrow. I'll be there. :)

Ooh, you two should sit together and hold hands.
You bunch of lucky bastards.

(Not strictly re the hand holding, rather the seeing of the comedy gold.)

I used to go to school with Lee and he put in many hard years training to perfect that "not getting the girl" routine. Of course, we laughed when he said he wanted to be a standup comedian, but we're not laughing anymore ...

It's not relevant, but I do like the groovy little Welsh flag supplied (for what reason I know not), so - Wales

Welcome Not-singing-anymore,

That's cool you used to school with the fool (as in jester and for the sake of the rhyme)

Was he the cheeky chappie we all know and love today?

Thanks for the welcome.

He certainly was cheeky and had a detention record to match, although he had a different name then (in fact, this guy could be an impostor!).