What are you gaming? Page 140

I'm starting to get the hang of it now. Still getting wasted with alarming frequency, though, even by NPCs. Seems like the accuracy of the thugs has been cranked up a bit since single-player. Body armour doesn't seem to last nearly as long.

Just finished the game and seriously, seriously underwhelmed. Inferior to both recent Rockstar products L.A. Noire and Red Dead Redemption - which is surprising since this is the signature franchise.

It's also inferior to GTA 4 and The Ballard of Gay Tony which had characters and storylines that were emotional engaging. The 'heist' leitmotif was never going to be that and three playable characters makes for complications but Jesus, where was the story?

The game cost £175m to develop. How much of that did they spend on writing? Trevor is a great character but Michael and Franklin? What was Franklin for? A repo man who just becomes a stock gunman in an extended series of bank robberies. Compare him to Luis from gay Tony - a nightclub greeter with drug-running friends and a philanthropic boss who helped him to educate himself out of jail.

Compare Michael (who seems to be loosely based on the equally vacuous Tony Soprano) with Niko Bellic from GTA 4. Niko was an ex-soldier troubled by his conscience, Michael seems to just be pissed off that he can't beat his wife at Tennis.

****Spoilers****
After early scenes where we meet Johnny from Lost and Damned and Rico from Gay Tony I assumed Gay Tony and Luis were probably going to appear and hopefully Brucie and Niko. Well no, nothing. You just get to waste the two mentioned, one of whom was a 'good guy' in the earlier game.

I was also expecting a fourth character to appear to fill the gap in the character roundel, but perhaps that will happen in the next instalment.

You lazy c**ts, Rockstar.

Godot is gay for Gay Tony. You ask where the writing is? What about all the hundreds of hours of NPC dialogue that is scattered through the game? I agree that the characters aren't as strong as past ones but if you've been reading R* talking about it, it seems their intention for GTAV was a different direction where they have created a base game and plan to release things around it. Whether that's good or not is a different thing.

But it's hard to agree with you when you dismiss other games such as Red Dead for bad writing/plot/characters (whichever it was hah).

I said the cut scenes were boring in Red Dead and they were. I'm someone who likes cut scenes and never skips them but much of the cut scene writing was turgid. Why lie? The game overall was excellent.

I've already heard some of the same ads and NPC dialogue several times from GTA V. There is a much smaller pool of material and non of it really builds from VI.

Here's a YouTube video with all 89 radio commercials from GTA IV, including the brilliant 'Civil Service" game which allows you to 'modify traffic patterns to keep undesirables in the ghetto.' (59.44)
Genius.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 10 2013, 12:31 PM BST

Here's a YouTube video with all 89 radio commercials from GTA IV, including the brilliant 'Civil Service" game which allows you to 'modify traffic patterns to keep undesirable in the ghetto.' (59.44)
Genius.

Laughing out loud

The fourth slot in the character wheel is for your Online character, Godot.

I agree with you about Franklin. Total waste of a character.

I wouldn't say the rest of the story was terrible though. I much preferred it to IV, where I found myself constantly wondering the hell I was working for and why.

The genius of V is that the characters in the cutscenes are consistent with the characters you play. Listening to Nico constantly whine on about how he wanted to get out of his life of crime whilst taking on jobs that necessitated laying waste to whole precincts of coppers was just weird.

You should try Online. I've just bought my first apartment and discovered that I can spy on other players on my server via Weasel News on the telly. Most educational.

Yeah, I'm not online. Annoying really because I'm a bit of an achievement junkie and I only have three completed games on my tag because most have online achievements. I'm missing all the GTA achievements like 'Let sleeping Rockstars lie'.

I could also 'creep on your ass' - in the words of Franklin - if I was online. Maybe try and run over Leevil.

I connected an ethernet cable to the xbox once. It didn't work and that was it. I can't really spare any more effort on it.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ October 10 2013, 7:05 PM BST

Listening to Nico constantly whine on about how he wanted to get out of his life of crime whilst taking on jobs that necessitated laying waste to whole precincts of coppers was just weird.

Yeah, the endless killing kind of destroys any narrative. I've always thought they should mix it up a bit with just general mischief. Instead of wasting some Chinese drug fools, knock over a display in a department store or destroy a pißwasser factory.

The mission in IV where you had to drive the car without the boot popping up to show the body was good.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 11 2013, 12:37 AM BST

I could also 'creep on your ass' - in the words of Franklin - if I was online. Maybe try and run over Leevil.

:O

I am now playing lips I love the 80's and number one hits xbox360 I brought 3 years ago some really good songs on there if you like singing you will love this.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 11 2013, 12:37 AM BST

I connected an ethernet cable to the xbox once. It didn't work and that was it. I can't really spare any more effort on it.

Unbelievably, with the 360 at the end of its life, the wi-fi adapters are still selling for near enough fifty quid a pop.

Probably not worth it just for one game.

Pity. V Online has a tonne of extra stuff to do. Really is like a whole extra game, just as big or bigger than the single player experience.

You're really tempting me now.

If the ethernet cable didn't work wi-fi won't either. I'm not that up on networking, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to troubleshoot.

The 'never-works-first-time-ness' of Microsoft products just depresses me into inactivity.

I believe when you first sign up to Live (or whatever it's called) you can get a 30 day trail or whatever they offer. So you will lose nothing but your precious "calling people c**ts" time and if you're successful you can do that whilst playing GTA: Online as you run (other) people over.

Hahahaha

Quote: Lee @ October 11 2013, 12:26 PM BST

I believe when you first sign up to Live (or whatever it's called) you can get a 30 day trail or whatever they offer. So you will lose nothing but your precious "calling people c**ts" time and if you're successful you can do that whilst playing GTA: Online as you run (other) people over.

To be honest I got running people over out of my system when I first got a cab, but it's definitely something to think about.

Fare enough.