Peep Show - Series 5 Page 16

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 24 2008, 11:53 AM BST

Full of picky, never happy, grumpy little turds. Into which i include myself at times. But seriously, they actually put something great on TV and it gets kicked about like a retarded puppy! Enjoy a quality comedy people!

Impossible. They've over-analysed comedy so much that they don't find anything funny any more. (Well, very little anyway.)

Ah well, we can sit, enjoy, and smirk in pity. :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 24 2008, 12:02 PM BST

That would be cannibalism, or at the very least incest.

Only if he bites the teat off.

Quote: Aaron @ May 24 2008, 12:20 PM BST

Impossible. They've over-analysed comedy so much that they don't find anything funny any more. (Well, very little anyway.)

Ah well, we can sit, enjoy, and smirk in pity. :)

It was only a phase for me, when I started writing comedy. I still analyse things too much, but I've found a happy medium.

Quote: catskillz @ May 24 2008, 8:09 AM BST

Does anyone else agree that Series 4 was pretty poor, compared to the others, including this latest one?

I agree that Series 4 was the worst series (with the caveat that this one hasn't finished yet!) - but all you people who analyse the analysers, please note that that doesn't mean it was bad. It was good.

I really liked this latest episode. Someone (Dan?) said it was more like the older episodes, and I agree totally. It's as though an outside writer has taken the idea of the show back to its roots. We had a lot more "voices in their heads" stuff tonight, which worked very well indeed.

I think it was Mark's fawning over Jez' mum's boyfriend, kinda like he did with Johnson - which was hilarious.

Quote: catskillz @ May 24 2008, 8:09 AM BST

Does anyone else agree that Series 4 was pretty poor, compared to the others, including this latest one?

Not at all! Season 4 I thought was great. The last episode of that season was probably one of the best episodes ever, and the one before it with the dog was hilarious. From what i've heard, people tend to regard the third season as the worst... whatever though, I like them all.

Quote: Badge @ May 25 2008, 1:03 AM BST

I agree that Series 4 was the worst series (with the caveat that this one hasn't finished yet!) - but all you people who analyse the analysers, please note that that doesn't mean it was bad. It was good.

Nothing wrong with 'analysing the analysers', as there has been, to my eyes, a lot of negativity. Analysing to some just seems to mean pointing out what bits they didnt like; which makes you think they didnt like it, because they only point out bits they hated.

It's useful to read what works and what doesn't. Peep Show doesn't have a live audience, so you don't know how well something was received, except from your own POV.

Yeah, people can be too negative, but it's only because they are passionate about it and need a place to vent their disappointment whatever, a where better then a geeky internet forum?

Quote: Leevil @ May 25 2008, 12:19 PM BST

It's useful to read what works and what doesn't. Peep Show doesn't have a live audience, so you don't know how well something was received, except from your own POV.

Yeah, people can be too negative, but it's only because they are passionate about it and need a place to vent their disappointment whatever, a where better then a geeky internet forum?

Ah, but this is the very thing that peeves me, and is why the actual writers of shows should never venture into places like this-its full of geeks who slate, slate, slate every tiny little thing! Even if they say they like the show, youd hardly guess it from the posts!

I agree, it's a bad idea for writers to venture into these (or any other) forums, in case they actually do listen to us.

But I disagree with the idea it will appear that they don't like the show, why would they bother to watch it every week and then head on over here straight away to talk about it?

Quote: Leevil @ May 25 2008, 12:30 PM BST

But I disagree with the idea it will appear that they don't like the show, why would they bother to watch it every week and then head on over here straight away to talk about it?

Because they do! For evidence just look at the Gavin and Stacey thread! The same people week after week, for both series, saying how much they hate the latest episode and the show in general! Ive no idea why they do it, but some clearly do. Its bizarre to me, but such people do exist.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 25 2008, 12:25 PM BST

Ah, but this is the very thing that peeves me, and is why the actual writers of shows should never venture into places like this-its full of geeks who slate, slate, slate every tiny little thing! Even if they say they like the show, youd hardly guess it from the posts!

I think the writers are wise enough to see which criticisms are valuable, and which to ignore. I'm sure that they can see the weaknesses in their shows, once broadcast, and make sense of which hold ground and which don't.

Quote: Aaron @ May 25 2008, 12:32 PM BST

I think the writers are wise enough to see which criticisms are valuable, and which to ignore. I'm sure that they can see the weaknesses in their shows, once broadcast, and make sense of which hold ground and which don't.

I know that, sure, thats not really my point, its more about over negativity in gen . . .ah, never mind . . . Teary

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 25 2008, 12:32 PM BST

Because they do! For evidence just look at the Gavin and Stacey thread! The same people week after week, for both series, saying how much they hate the latest episode and the show in general! Ive no idea why they do it, but some clearly do. Its bizarre to me, but such people do exist.

Well it's a form of car-crash syndrome, isn't it? You keep looking out of interest, and somewhat of disbelief. "Did I really just see that? No ... Maybe it was just an odd episode?"

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 25 2008, 12:32 PM BST

They are :S and their opinions don't count ;).

Quote: Leevil @ May 25 2008, 12:30 PM BST

I agree, it's a bad idea for writers to venture into these (or any other) forums, in case they actually do listen to us.

I endorse this post.

Some contributors seem to have an odd perception that there are people on these forums who don't like comedy. That doesn't really make any sense. I come on here because I love comedy, otherwise I'd be on www.perioddramageek.com.