Angelo's Page 5

Quote: jacparov @ November 19, 2007, 8:17 PM

Perhaps this is why i don't like it? (I've never been to London.)

I don't think the location is that big a deal. I've never been to LA but have seen 24, Heros etc.

More to the point though - seriously, you've really never been to London? Where do you live?

I'm not that big a fan of London (Aaron will have a fit now) - crime ridden, dirty, badly organised, full of yuppies etc* but its worth going at least once - a definite experience.

* I lived in Birmingham for a few years - much nicer city, but it doesn't have quite the same exciting 'going places' buzz about it that London does. Also the yuppies - they do exist - embarrasingly I was one of those suited idiots myself for a year.

Yes, what on earth's wrong with you?
Go to London immediately.

geez, sorry! I live just north of liverpool. I don't know anyone down there and have not seen anything on tv to convince me to go.

I've been to New york, Paris and such places and they are great. Las Vegas is fantastic.

London has never really appealed. Mainly I've just not got a good enough reason to go.

if you do go to london they have this wonderful tourist attraction called the underground railway. its like a great big funride. its a bit like a model railway but better.

We've got an actually model railway in Southport, so no need.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ November 18, 2007, 8:51 PM

That's not a fair comparison because Larry David can pull the 'awkward humour' off very well, plus doesn't always rely on it and can also write jokes and doesn't just rely on an overly long silence to get laughs. Watch the last episode of the current season of Curb and then watch Angelo's you'll see the difference.

Well we've only seen 1 out of 1 episodes of Angelo's so I think its unfair to compare 1 out of x episodes of Curb. I watch Curb anyway so I know what I am referring too. Of course Curb isn't all awkward humour, either was Angelo's. But saying that Curb does it better doesn't mean that its dated. It just means they do it better, which is a different but fair point.

Mark's right on two counts. London is a shithole and it doesn't matter if you've been or not. The show isn't funny because it's badly written, not because it references London.

Yeah that beautiful architecture and all those amazing museums really are shit. :)

A debate about London could go on for ever. Please start a separate topic. :)

I didn't really notice the references but then I know a bit about London.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 20, 2007, 3:03 PM

A debate about London could go on for ever. Please start a separate topic. :)

I'd rather not.

I watched only a little bit of Angelo's.
The main thing that interested me was the previously mentioned similarity between him and the manager from Conchords. :)

Quote: zooo @ November 20, 2007, 2:28 PM

Yeah that beautiful architecture and all those amazing museums really are shit. :)

That makes about 1% of the place. The rest looks like an apocalypse hit.

Quote: zooo @ November 20, 2007, 12:39 AM

Yes, what on earth's wrong with you?
Go to London immediately.

Agreed!

Quote: jacparov @ November 20, 2007, 10:10 AM

Paris ... great.

I always found Paris to be a skanky shit-hole, full of rude people, bad drivers, and generally really dirty. Ew.

Quote: jacparov @ November 20, 2007, 10:10 AM

Las Vegas is fantastic.

Definitely agreed.

Quote: johnny roulette @ November 20, 2007, 10:14 AM

if you do go to london they have this wonderful tourist attraction called the underground railway. its like a great big funride. its a bit like a model railway but better.

Laughing out loud

Only Londoners would put up with being shot through tunnels in metal cages, sometimes hundreds of feet underground, in the sweltering heat. Our resilience is heroic. :)

Quote: Rick Skelton @ November 20, 2007, 3:22 PM

That makes about 1% of the place. The rest looks like an apocalypse hit.

Ever been to Glasgow? Christ.

I've been to the north. London's far nicer.

Apart from certain areas, which are overrun with f**king dodgy types.

Quote: Aaron @ November 20, 2007, 4:01 PM

Apart from certain areas, which are overrun with f**king dodgy types.

I believe I was living there for a few months last year.
NEVER go to Finsbury Park.

Anyway, as he said, back to Angelo's!

The bits of 'Angelo's' left over from when it started as an 'Office'-style mockumentary stick out a mile (eg in the minicab). On the whole it was like an episode of the Catherine Tate Show strung together with a thin plot or two. Funniest was the daughter auditioning for the gangstas. Far too many main characters, Angelo himself is miscast by a mile - he's Manuel meets Stavros when he should be Super Mario, and what's going to happen is that all the characters will only have one gag which they will repeat every episode. It's going nowhere.

Quote: zooo @ November 20, 2007, 2:28 PM

we've got all that stuff up north too zooo.

I probably will go eventually. Maybe on a meet up with you guys!.....maybe not. Cool