Angelo's Page 4

Maybe I shouldn't have said traditional - strike the word from my comment and I still think it holds true. The sitcoms - new or old - that work (for me) are those that tell a self contained story in their 22-28 minutes. Friends even made this a selling point by naming the episodes as "The one with/where xxxx". Angelo's ep 1 is "The one where.. erm, not sure; something about the Queen Mum? And a dance?"

Like a dozen bad sketches sewn together

more scope and hope for the rest of us!

xx

To be fair to it, the police thing did have its story beats. Though I'm not sure where the beats for the rest of it were.

I wonder if the cast laugh at rehearsals at these things. You can imagine the cast cracking up at Not Going Out but some of this other stuff.......It's got to be fun to begin with and make the actors itching to get out of their chair to perform.

Quote: Badge @ November 18, 2007, 1:04 AM

Maybe I shouldn't have said traditional - strike the word from my comment and I still think it holds true. The sitcoms - new or old - that work (for me) are those that tell a self contained story in their 22-28 minutes. Friends even made this a selling point by naming the episodes as "The one with/where xxxx". Angelo's ep 1 is "The one where.. erm, not sure; something about the Queen Mum? And a dance?"

Yeah, I do agree really. The best (and most successful) kind of sitcom is one which one can dip in and out of, without watching in order. We do need a bit more of that, methinks.

Quote: Aaron @ November 18, 2007, 11:12 AM

Yeah, I do agree really. The best (and most successful) kind of sitcom is one which one can dip in and out of, without watching in order. We do need a bit more of that, methinks.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having to watch a show in order but each individual episode must have a strong story too. Reginald Perrin is the best example I can think of this. To get the most out of it you probably have to watch it from the start of each series until the end but each episode had it's own distinctive story too.

Also very true. But are the most successful sitcoms not self-contained? There's nothing set in stone saying one is better than the other as far as writing goes. I'm just thinking in terms of the commercial success.

Maybe I need to re-think our review on this. Seems that me and Aaron are a bit in the minority here in liking this?

Quote: ContainsNuts @ November 17, 2007, 9:26 PM

I actually enjoyed this and don't quite know why people are saying this type of humour is dated - who decided that? Someone should tell Larry David then.

That's not a fair comparison because Larry David can pull the 'awkward humour' off very well, plus doesn't always rely on it and can also write jokes and doesn't just rely on an overly long silence to get laughs. Watch the last episode of the current season of Curb and then watch Angelo's you'll see the difference.

Quote: Mark @ November 18, 2007, 8:45 PM

Maybe I need to re-think our review on this. Seems that me and Aaron are a bit in the minority here in liking this?

I didnt think it was too bad for a first episode, quite funny and I would think, considering the amount of characters, its the type of thing that will grow on you more and more as you get to know the characters more. Obviously I could be wrong, but either way it wasnt half as bad as most on here seem to be making out.

I only compared it with Benidorm. It wasn't as bad as Benidorm.

It'd be a bit of an effort.

Sorry to come to this debate so late, but I quite enjoyed the first episode. Not all of it worked by any means, but I enjoyed Sharon Horgan's child obsessed copper, the living statue with a Jude Law obsession, and the mini cab driver played by the fat woman... Whether that's going to be enough to make me go back for the next five weeks is another matter.

Am I the only person who has no idea who Sharon Horgan is?

Benidorm was far better than Angelo's. Normally, I'd give this another try but it clashes with Dear Green Place (and I don't have Sky plus yet :() so Angelo's only had one chance to impress me. Perhaps if the reviews improve, I'll check out the DVD at a later date.

I found this annoying rather than funny. Each to their own I guess.

Quote: Aaron @ October 26, 2007, 9:32 PM

Starts in 3 weeks. Friday 16th November, 23:00, Five. :)

COMEDY: Angelo's
On: five
Date: Friday 16th November 2007 (starting in 21 days)
Time: 23:00 to 23:30 (30 minutes long)

An anytime alert is set for 15 minutes before the programme starts
Sitcom set in a greasy spoon cafe in London's Trafalgar Square. Angelo recieves a tempting proposal when a representative from an American corporation offers to buy his establishment - but can he let his beloved cafe go? Elsewhere, Angelo's daughter and aspiring singer Maria thinks she has a shot at fame when she hears of a vacancy in a band. And married police officers Karen and Dave visit a fertility clinic.

I've seen the first two episodes already, and am really unsure what to think of it to be honest. Some of it is brilliant, some is a bit "eh?". I think, for most people (certainly around here), it's going to be Marmite. And a lot of very London references, which may fly over the head of some of our more northern friends.

Perhaps this is why i don't like it? (I've never been to London.)