Angelo's

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/programming/a43989/five-orders-a-full-english-for-new-sitcom.html

Nice to see more Alice Lowe :D I knew about this last year when checking out Sharon Horgan's CV and the custard website but there wasn't much info. It looks a nice cast and an interesting situation.

Oo, thanks for that. I like the sound of the premise, but I wasn't overly impressed by Pulling, so I'm a bit reserved there. Still, looking forward to it. :)

I've now seen the first couple of episodes of this show - unfortunately it's been put back until November or something now - and it's actually not too bad. Certainly by the standards that we all recognise as Channel Five, it's pretty good. Some amusing observations, particularly for the Londoners amongst us, so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ March 16, 2007, 2:33 PM

Nice to see more Alice Lowe :D

I love her!
She made an ace David Bowie on Snuffbox.

And Simon Farnaby! Yay.

Starts in 3 weeks. Friday 16th November, 23:00, Five. :)

COMEDY: Angelo's
On: five
Date: Friday 16th November 2007 (starting in 21 days)
Time: 23:00 to 23:30 (30 minutes long)

An anytime alert is set for 15 minutes before the programme starts
Sitcom set in a greasy spoon cafe in London's Trafalgar Square. Angelo recieves a tempting proposal when a representative from an American corporation offers to buy his establishment - but can he let his beloved cafe go? Elsewhere, Angelo's daughter and aspiring singer Maria thinks she has a shot at fame when she hears of a vacancy in a band. And married police officers Karen and Dave visit a fertility clinic.

I've seen the first two episodes already, and am really unsure what to think of it to be honest. Some of it is brilliant, some is a bit "eh?". I think, for most people (certainly around here), it's going to be Marmite. And a lot of very London references, which may fly over the head of some of our more northern friends.

I always thought the OFAH scenes in Sid's cafe were great. I thought it'd make a good situation for a sitcom. Early Doors works great, if you could get the same chemistry and characterisation in a cafe, you'd be on a winner.

It's a bloody pity that there isn't more of the café in Angelo's actually. They are by far the best scenes I think, but not nearly as frequent as they could or should be.

There's cafes in Hardware and that Jack Dee thing.

There's Mrs. Miggins' Pie Shop too. Closest you'd get to that kind of café from that particular era.

I'm a fan of Sharon Horgan and Pulling and I'm interested to see how Angelo's turns out. However, the scheduling could let it down as it's on 11pm, a time when most people are out or going to bed.

If Five are serious about having a comedy block consisting of acquired and/or homegrown comedy then they should a dedicated night similar to BBC One and Channel 4's Friday Night Comedy or BBC Two's Thursdaya are Funny. Wednesdays would be perfect as a comedy night for Five.

Quote: Aaron @ October 26, 2007, 11:30 PM

It's a bloody pity that there isn't more of the café in Angelo's actually. They are by far the best scenes I think, but not nearly as frequent as they could or should be.

how have you seen it already? it's not on yet is it?

Quote: Jonwo @ October 27, 2007, 12:00 AM

I'm a fan of Sharon Horgan and Pulling and I'm interested to see how Angelo's turns out. However, the scheduling could let it down as it's on 11pm, a time when most people are out or going to bed.

Never heard of her or it, where was that on?

Quote: Jonwo @ October 27, 2007, 12:00 AM

If Five are serious about having a comedy block consisting of acquired and/or homegrown comedy then they should a dedicated night similar to BBC One and Channel 4's Friday Night Comedy or BBC Two's Thursdaya are Funny. Wednesdays would be perfect as a comedy night for Five.

I don't really agree with having loads of comedy together. I think it should be spread out more.

Quote: jacparov @ October 27, 2007, 12:03 AM

how have you seen it already? it's not on yet is it?

Channel Five keep pushing the broadcast date back. And back. And back. So basically, they already sent the BSG the first two episodes for review before the last time they pushed it.

(I'm hoping that they send the rest.)

You lucky buggers, any good?

Like I said earlier, unsure what to think of it. There are some great bits, with wonderful lines and acting, but then there are those which just don't quite feel right. I think that for most people here it'll be pretty Marmite really.