Angelo's Page 2

Tonight guys, don't forget!

COMEDY: Angelo's
On: five
Date: Friday 16th November 2007 (starting in 1 hour)
Time: 23:00 to 23:30 (30 minutes long)

An anytime alert is set for 15 minutes before the programme starts
Sitcom set in a greasy spoon cafe in London's Trafalgar Square. Angelo recieves a tempting proposal when a representative from an American corporation offers to buy his establishment - but can he let his beloved cafe go? Elsewhere, Angelo's daughter and aspiring singer Maria thinks she has a shot at fame when she hears of a vacancy in a band. And married police officers Karen and Dave visit a fertility clinic.

A few good lines but again Channel 5 really miss the mark with their sitcoms. Too much of that 'awkward' humour and not enough jokes. Good to see Steve Brody back on TV though.

i agree with martin, i wanted to switch off after 5 mins but forced myself to stay with it. Boring.

The first half showed promise, nice chemistry between the coppers and a good set up, but the second half was awful. The scene in the dance hall especially.

yeah the coppers were the only decent thing for me.

I started watching but realised after a while that it wasn't really funny.

The trouble is though it is very much a sitcom of its time - ie. not funny.

True, 11pm on five is never funny.

Interesting opinions. I agree with the general consensus that it's not hugely funny, but for me there's enough there to enjoy it, and some really good lines (the radio phone-in sequence was great).

It just seemed they were trying too hard for me. The dialogue was unrealistic, characters in the main unlikeable and there wasn't many jokes.

Why make this?

Very disappointing. Didn't laugh at all and I read somewhere that this was four years in the making!

The owner was quite likeable but I didn't like the daughter who was in Adam and Shelley. Too mouthy. Man escaping from wife, a bit pointless. Simon Farnaby was completely wasted in his role, coppers very unrealistic. Miranda Hart doing her usual role

Rolling eyes

Seems like Sharon Horgan only has one way of writing like Susan Nickson, and it's 'comedy' I can do without.

Quote: David H @ November 17, 2007, 10:16 AM

Very disappointing. Didn't laugh at all and I read somewhere that this was four years in the making!

Yes, worryingly true.

Quote: David H @ November 17, 2007, 10:16 AM

Seems like Sharon Horgan only has one way of writing like Susan Nickson...

Come on! That's unfair! Susan Nickson is far funnier!

I agree that it wasn't very funny but I will give it another chance. They had to try to introduce about 10 new characters and it made the episode a bit of a mess but maybe when they settle in it will work better.

Well, I enjoyed it but it'll take some time to get into. I'd watch it next week. Alice Lowe's dancing had me LOL'ing, especially when one of the guys said, "You shouldn't be disrespectin' yo'self like dat."

Laughing out loud

I'd completely forgotten that (it's been about 2 months since I watched it). It may not be rip-roaringly funny all the way through, but definitely has some great bits sprinkled through. :)

A bit surprised by the general reaction so far on here, because although I didnt think it was a work of comic genius I did enjoy it and found it pretty funny. With that amount of characters i also think its the kind of show that could (hopefully) grow and improve as you get to see more of the characters each week. Easily (and I know this isnt really saying much) the best homegrown comedy five have done. I especially liked the two policemen.