Chalk

I'm surprised I've not made a thread on the show before. Anyhoo. With the announcement of series one's impending DVD release, I thought it deserved one.

Very good farce from Steven Moffat (Coupling, Joking Apart, and now Doctor Who). Erm. Yes, I like it. Very good. :)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/chalk/

I've ordered a copy. Remember this very vaguely at the back of my mind, but I'm pretty sure it was Series 2 graveyard slot episodes that I saw.

Dan

I seem to remember enjoying this quite a lot. There was a very Basil Fawlty-style teacher in it, wasn't there? And I seem to rememember a preocuppation with sadomasochism, which is never a bad thing.

I remember watching this and liking it too.

Quote: chipolata @ November 18 2008, 11:44 AM GMT

There was a very Basil Fawlty-style teacher in it, wasn't there?

That'd be the headteacher, Eric Slatt.

Quote: Aaron @ November 17 2008, 9:06 PM GMT

I'm surprised I've not made a thread on the show before.

Yes, me too.

It was a much better show than its reception would have suggested.

Quote: Aaron @ November 18 2008, 12:36 PM GMT

That'd be the headteacher, Eric Slatt.

er... deputy headteacher, played by David Bamber.

Didn't John Wells play the head?

I remember Paul Mayhew-Archer (Vicar of Dibley) saying this was the funniest script he had ever read and an example of what can go wrong from script to production phase. I can't remember seeing it though. Might have to have a look.

Quote: Timbo @ November 18 2008, 5:29 PM GMT

er... deputy headteacher

That's the one.

Quote: Timbo @ November 18 2008, 6:29 PM BST

er... deputy headteacher, played by David Bamber.

Didn't John Wells play the head?

John Wells played the head in the first series and then he died and Duncan Preston took over I think, playing a different character.

Quote: peter gazzard @ May 16 2009, 8:27 PM BST

John Wells played the head in the first series and then he died and Duncan Preston took over I think, playing a different character.

John Wells was still alive when series 2 was filmed but was too ill to participate.

I have both series on tape although a bit of series 1 is missing.

I can't find it on DVD now. Has it been deleted?

Would be good to have series 2 released or both together.

Edited by Aaron.

As I remember, this show was bollocks. Moving on...

You remember wrong.

Was quite hyped at the time...? Return to the glory days of BBC1 family comedy, et cetera...? Lasted one two series? (Don't think I watched it past series 1, episode 4.) Lots of "serious" actors mugging horribly as they showed how they could play comedy, that sort of thing.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 21 2009, 3:34 PM BST

Was quite hyped at the time...? Return to the glory days of BBC1 family comedy, et cetera...? Lasted one two series? (Don't think I watched it past series 1, episode 4.) Lots of "serious" actors mugging horribly as they showed how they could play comedy, that sort of thing.

I have to disagree :S it was a good show, but you did have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it. I loved (still love) it

Bring Back Chalk!