I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,690

Sunak seems utterly obsessed with AI

Not one of his/our priorities

It's patently obvious he knows he will lose the GE and is now just using his position to make contacts for when he leaves office

A lot of assumptions there.

Quote: billwill @ 2nd November 2023, 8:53 PM

When neither main party look as if they could produce a viable government, perhaps its time to drastically change parliament.

I suggest:

1. do away with the party structure, every MP should stand as an independent.
2. let the whole of parliament select the Prime Minister.
3. every appointment of a minister should be ratified by the whole of parliament.
4. there should be a (too be decided) number of constituencies in which the MP is selected by a random choice and that person has to drop whatever they are doing and serve 4 years as an MP.
5. All MPs must sell all their shares when becoming an MP and shall have no financial connections with any business anywhere.

That'l do for starters, any other suggestions?

I think you're describing Sortition, which is essentially just government by lottery. Not sure any country has ever done it, although the ancient Greeks went on about it.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st November 2023, 4:05 PM

I merely aim to be even-handed, unlike some, .

We're truly blessed to have you as one of our members, Billy, showing us all the error of our ways. And the fact you're so humble about it, and not in any way pompous and full of yourself, makes you all the more special.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st November 2023, 4:05 PM

I really have no wish to defend Boris Johnson and his government. I have criticised them plenty of times myself over the years, both in this thread and in the Coronavirus thread (mind you, perversely, nobody agreed with me then - least of all Her Majesty's Official Opposition).

I merely aim to be even-handed, unlike some, and to stress the flaws in both parties and to point out that, despite the rose coloured glasses being exhibited on these pages, the idea of the Labour party riding over the horizon like the cavalry to save the UK is a complete nonsense.

As even-handed as Captain Hook...

Quote: chipolata @ 3rd November 2023, 11:42 AM

We're truly blessed to have you as one of our members, Billy, showing us all the error of our ways. And the fact you're so humble about it, and not in any way pompous and full of yourself, makes you all the more special.

Thank you. I aim to please.

Quote: billwill @ 2nd November 2023, 8:53 PM

When neither main party look as if they could produce a viable government, perhaps its time to drastically change parliament.

I suggest:

1. do away with the party structure, every MP should stand as an independent.
2. let the whole of parliament select the Prime Minister.
3. every appointment of a minister should be ratified by the whole of parliament.
4. there should be a (too be decided) number of constituencies in which the MP is selected by a random choice and that person has to drop whatever they are doing and serve 4 years as an MP.
5. All MPs must sell all their shares when becoming an MP and shall have no financial connections with any business anywhere.

That'l do for starters, any other suggestions?

Some good ideas there, but isn't point 1 basically going back to Feudalism ? Didn't we get divided and conquered by France in 1066 last time we tried that ?

Quote: Firkin @ 3rd November 2023, 6:44 PM

Some good ideas there, but isn't point 1 basically going back to Feudalism ? Didn't we get divided and conquered by France in 1066 last time we tried that ?

I don't think they'd be capable of that now.

"Former Conservative chancellor Ken Clarke has backed Labour's Rachel Reeves, labelling her "reassuring" and "responsible".

Lord Clarke, who served as chancellor under John Major from 1993-1997, revealed to the i's new podcast, "Labour's Plan for Power", that he has been impressed by Labour's shadow chancellor"

I think the key explanatory wording in that report is "served... under John Major".

So a bad chancellor under a bad Prime Minister? Yeah I agree

Still interesting that one of the big Tory dinosaurs is backing Reeves and not Hunt

Maybe Hunt is bad too?

I am noticing a trend ...

Ken Clarke wasn't a bad chancellor actually. The economy did okay under him. His words carry some weight.

Braverman finally going after the homeless

Yes!!

No doubt the woke, liberal lefties will have a go at her for this brave and courageous decision

F**k them and f**k dirty filthy homeless scumbags!!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 3rd November 2023, 5:55 AM

I see. I think I slightly misunderstood you before.
That said, I also didn't realise you were advocating people should be forced to run for parliament against their will. I'm not sure I'd support that bit!
Also, it's true: Labour certainly look up to forming a viable government currently.

It' not really much different than National Service used to be or Jury service on long trials.

And as I said I think many would jump at the chance because of the higher salary.

It's meant as a means to ensure that ordinary citizens, not just those with money, can stand for Parliament, thus ensuring a fairer mix in the House.

Quote: Firkin @ 3rd November 2023, 6:44 PM

I think not. I think of it more as providing a pool of 650 people to select each minister instead of a pool of around 330 (or so) at present. Quite the opposite of Feudalism.

Without more background I haven't a clue which government or historical event you are talking about. Oh I see you added 1066.

1066 was basically a battle between 2 kings, both of whom claimed the throne of England.

Tory ulez bounce in full effect 🤣

London Mayoral Voting Intention:
Khan (LAB): 50% (+10)
Hall (CON): 25% (-10)
Garbett (GRN): 11% (+3)
Blackie (LDM): 7% (+3)
Cox (RFM): 4% (New)

Via @YouGov

Yeah, the Cons managed to shoot themselves in the foot by choosing the vaguely bonkers Susan Hall.
She's not very good and prone to putting her foot in her mouth.
Can't believe the Tories couldn't come up with someone a little better.
Maybe they they knew it was a lost cause.