I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,689

See, you never defend the people actually in government positions , those actually running the country

It's always yeah but what about Labour, what about Rayner, what about Corbyn etc etc etc

I guess even you can't defend the clearly undefendable

Deflect deflect deflect

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st November 2023, 2:52 PM

Ang as deputy PM - or in charge in the PM's absence.
Quality.

If that's you in your avatar (wassa matter with you man, that you can't seem to settle on one - or are the police after you?), then I will have a good laugh and eat my hat, which I don't wear.

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st November 2023, 3:37 PM

See, you never defend the people actually in government positions , those actually running the country

It's always yeah but what about Labour, what about Rayner, what about Corbyn etc etc etc

I guess even you can't defend the clearly undefendable

Deflect deflect deflect

I really have no wish to defend Boris Johnson and his government. I have criticised them plenty of times myself over the years, both in this thread and in the Coronavirus thread (mind you, perversely, nobody agreed with me then - least of all Her Majesty's Official Opposition).

I merely aim to be even-handed, unlike some, and to stress the flaws in both parties and to point out that, despite the rose coloured glasses being exhibited on these pages, the idea of the Labour party riding over the horizon like the cavalry to save the UK is a complete nonsense.

You're in trouble now Billy - you've misgendered the King.
Expect a knock.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st November 2023, 3:47 PM

If that's you in your avatar (wassa matter with you man, that you can't seem to settle on one - or are the police after you?), then I will have a good laugh and eat my hat, which I don't wear.

Alright, don't tell me why you are wearing a stupid hat, and looking like a prawn

You'll turn my head with all that flattery.

When neither main party look as if they could produce a viable government, perhaps its time to drastically change parliament.

I suggest:

1. do away with the party structure, every MP should stand as an independent.
2. let the whole of parliament select the Prime Minister.
3. every appointment of a minister should be ratified by the whole of parliament.
4. there should be a (too be decided) number of constituencies in which the MP is selected by a random choice and that person has to drop whatever they are doing and serve 4 years as an MP.
5. All MPs must sell all their shares when becoming an MP and shall have no financial connections with any business anywhere.

That'l do for starters, any other suggestions?

Nice idea. A shame the MPs are allocated to random constituencies though.
If people aren't voting for parties and don't know who their MP will be at the end, how do they vote?

Pretty sure Labour will be able to form a viable government.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 2nd November 2023, 9:45 PM

Nice idea. A shame the MPs are allocated to random constituencies though.
If people aren't voting for parties and don't know who their MP will be at the end, how do they vote?

The intent of number 4 "there should be a (too be decided) number of constituencies in which the MP is selected by a random choice and that person has to drop whatever they are doing and serve 4 years as an MP." was that the random person is chosen from the population of that same constituency. I should have made that clearer.

Why would they not know the candidates? That part would be much like the present, but the candidate would be standing as what we currently call an independent. I was assuming that each MP, even the co-opted ones would have the usual system of each presenting his/her manifesto as to what s/he would try to get done.

I see there would be a snag if only one random person was chosen in the designated constituencies, so maybe one would have to 'call up' say 5 or 7 citizens & let them do their 'manifestos' etc to let the rest of the constituents vote for their choice.

Some will deliberately write poor manifestos to 'get out' of doing the job, but the salaries would be an attraction to undertake the 4 year stint. MP salaries are, I think, higher than 'average' wages.

I see. I think I slightly misunderstood you before.
That said, I also didn't realise you were advocating people should be forced to run for parliament against their will. I'm not sure I'd support that bit!
Also, it's true: Labour certainly look up to forming a viable government currently.

Quote: billwill @ 2nd November 2023, 8:53 PM

When neither main party look as if they could produce a viable government, perhaps its time to drastically change parliament.

I suggest:

1. do away with the party structure, every MP should stand as an independent.
2. let the whole of parliament select the Prime Minister.
3. every appointment of a minister should be ratified by the whole of parliament.
4. there should be a (too be decided) number of constituencies in which the MP is selected by a random choice and that person has to drop whatever they are doing and serve 4 years as an MP.
5. All MPs must sell all their shares when becoming an MP and shall have no financial connections with any business anywhere.

That'l do for starters, any other suggestions?

That's all too sensible.

Better to do away with all this voting nonsense and just have one person in charge for an indeterminate length of time.

It's the need to appeal for votes every few years that encourages governments to adopt popular, but inadequate, short-term policies instead of addressing issues properly with the necessary long-term solutions.

Half the electorate don't vote anyway and those who support the losing party/policy invariably don't accept the outcome, which just causes more conflict.

Scrap the lot and have a benign king - Charlie Boy will do for me.

Long Live King Charles III !!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 3rd November 2023, 7:48 AM

Better to do away with all this voting nonsense and just have one person in charge for an indeterminate length of time.

It's the need to appeal for votes every few years that encourages governments to adopt popular, but inadequate, short-term policies instead of addressing issues properly with the necessary long-term solutions.

Half the electorate don't vote anyway and those who support the losing party/policy invariably don't accept the outcome, which just causes more conflict.

A closet dictator. I might have known!! Ho ho. Joking, I hope.
Most people do vote, of course. Over 65% of the electorate (i.e. over 65% of everyone eligible to vote) voted in each of the last four General Elections. Nobody seriously disputed any of those results either.