I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,407

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th May 2022, 10:20 PM

Yeah but you lefties love being virtue signalling martyr's

Martyr?
Me approving of someone demonstrating that there's no place for prejudice is hardly hanging upside down from a cross.
Silly & rude.
As usual.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th May 2022, 7:58 PM

We'll get ya kit together and do one.
Bound to be a Eutopia somewhere for you.

We can't, remember?
You took away our Freedom of Movement.
I know you keep saying it was a long time ago, but surely you remember what you voted for?

I read you went to France recently. Stowaway maybe?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 26th May 2022, 8:14 AM

I read you went to France recently. Stowaway maybe?

Ah ! As I suspected, you didn't know what you were voting for.

You must have me confused with someone else.

No. I'm pretty sure you're the one who confused about the difference between Freedom of Movement and going on holiday.

All of it lovely as per usual.

But it is just a tad Return of Cissie and Ada isn't it.

Anyways..........

I applaud the government for once for their announcement today on the energy crisis

Seems very fair on the whole

Of course it's about two months too late

Oh and it's a Labour Party policy that they've rebadged to make it look like they've not done ANOTHER u-turn

But credit where it's due

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th May 2022, 6:24 PM

I applaud the government for once for their announcement today on the energy crisis

Seems very fair on the whole

Of course it's about two months too late

Oh and it's a Labour Party policy that they've rebadged to make it look like they've not done ANOTHER u-turn

But credit where it's due

Plus they all voted against it last week.

Quote: Lazzard @ 26th May 2022, 6:28 PM

Plus they all voted against it last week.

I was thinking just that whilst brewing up at work today!!!

BBC Four and CBBC will no longer be aired as traditional broadcast channels after the next few years as part of the corporation's plans to become "digital first".

They will end as linear TV channels and are expected to move online to the iPlayer, while Radio 4 Extra could become available on the BBC Sounds service only.

What if you don't have a computer linked to the TV? My first experiences of iPlayer a while back saw the programme saved to my hard drive. I had to watch it on the computer and it self-deleted after (I think) 4 weeks. I couldn't find any software to allow me to save it and convert it to a TV friendly file format.

I've since found a means of saving iPlayer shows permanently as mp4 files. So I can download a full series - Scandi crime dramas are my thing - and then watch them at any time I wish by transferring them to a USB stick and plugging that into my TV.

These mooted changes may well come about when I am no longer bothered with TV (or anything else) but if not I don't want to have to upgrade my current perfectly adequate TV and computer for anything else for what will probably be a short time.

"We can't, remember?
You took away our Freedom of Movement.
I know you keep saying it was a long time ago, but surely you remember what you voted for?"

Get your facts straight:
Brexit took away the automatic right to work & remain in 26 countries; just 13% as there are 193 countries in the world.
You need to get a visa to work and remain in any of the countries other than your own. It really isn't much of a problem.

They prefer the assumption that we were led blind up a dead end without reading the small print.
You've seen above where he thought he'd seen a chink in the armour - could hardly contain himself.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 27th May 2022, 7:48 AM

They prefer the assumption that we were led blind up a dead end without reading the small print.
You've seen above where he thought he'd seen a chink in the armour - could hardly contain himself.

At least Bill does a bit of research (albeit fatuous) where as you just snipe from he sidelines.
So, for clarification.
I - and more importantly, my children, who didn't get a say in it - formerly had the right to live and work in any EU country.
A right taken from me.
The EU may well count for just 13% of the available countries - but frankly it's the only 13% I'm interested in.
Botswana can f**k off.
A few years back I lived for a year and a half in France - a brilliant experience for the family.
I couldn't do that now.
I would only be allowed to spend 90 days at a time in the EU.
So my retirement plans have had to change, too.
I'm now in the 'slow' lane at passport control.
The queues at The Tunnel are five times longer as I can no longer just wave my passport at the chap in the booth - all (six in my case) passports rigorously checked and stamped.
But at least they're blue!
Work visas are available - but the application process is complicated & lengthy and many EU countries demand you have a job offer in place.
So my son can no longer chuck the mountain bike in the back of the car and spend his gap year picking up work all over Europe and tearing down various mountains.
It doesn't end there for him.
He wants to work in film production.
But film and music weren't included in the deal - so working on projects in the EU is problematic.
Casting and crew calls are already going out with "applicant must hold EU passport".
Both my girls work within the Arts - and many placement schemes are no longer open to them - too much hassle for the organisers.
And of course the Erasmus scheme is no more. Replaced by a watered down version that only the wealthy can afford.

And that's how it's affected me.
Millions of others will have had it worse.
And all with no apparent benefit - quite the opposite, in fact.

The best analogy of Brexit I ever read was this:

"It's like seeing your local library burnt down by people who don't read books."

Well done.

Oh no, I didn't realise that. The 17 million should have thought about your personal circumstances. And the consequential permanent whining, we wouldn't have done it had we known. Sorry.

I said "Millions of other would have had it worse"
Please read the entire post, SG.

At least we moved from "I don't know what you're moaning about" to "I couldn't give a f**k"
That's some progresst.

Look - it's a done (but not exactly oven-ready) deal.
You get to gloat over you're not quite sure what.
I get to moan and point out the stupidity of your actions.
Seems fair.

On a separate note - more leaked photos from those No.10 parties...