I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,412

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th May 2022, 8:33 AM

No one knows with any vote do they. r.

In that case, why even vote at all? Why not just have a random government generator.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th May 2022, 10:09 AM

I am not a "kind of person" thank you very much.

Everyone's a kind of person, BB
You have attempted to describe the kind of person I am in your above post.
So, honours even?
And actually I think you're more than happy with the kind of person you are so I don't think you should take it as an insult.
I think of it as the modern version of "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells."
I was faintly flattered you thought I should be a politician - I think I'd make a better job of it than most of them.
As to your point - I think "bugger future generations" was more the motto of Brexiteers, surely - just like it is with climate change deniers.
And with both causes, the actual power behind the movement was/is very much about self-interest by those at the top of the tree who want to get even richer without pesky rules, regulations and targets hampering their profit stream.
Oddly enough, the very Brexity backbench ERG, who then morphed into the very anti-lockdown CRG, are now re-formed as the NZSG (Net Zero Scrutiny Group) - the climate change sceptics.
Its all connected.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th May 2022, 7:21 AM

But we are not allowed to challenge the Henny Penny story of the sky falling in.

Of course you're allowed.
In fact you're actively encouraged by some elements of the media.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th May 2022, 8:33 AM

But we knew what being in the EU was doing to the country and decided more or less anything else would be better.

I have no doubt you knew what you voted for.
And I'm pretty sure you took the empty promises and lies with a huge pinch of salt.
I disagree of course - which is why I voted the other way.
But millions did believe the slogans (cue SG shouting "You saying I'm thick?")
And, sadly, there was no left-of-centre voice telling them any different. I hold Corbyn equally as culpable as Farage and his Russian-backed cohort.
But they weren't and aren't thick - they just believed what they were told.
And if you don't believe millions were swung by the promise of money to the NHS (a promise abandoned literally the day after the referendum), or that it would be the easiest deal in history (er, it wasn't/isn't), or that the fishing industry would be saved rather than decimated, or that red-tape would be cut (there's now more than ever, as well as thousands more 'faceless' bureaucrats) - then I don't think you're being 100% honest with yourself.

Natalie Elphicke The Tory MP for Dover is crying down her legs about the traffic jams she voted for. She is saying that peoples 'Half Term' breaks are ruined. Sadly the picture she tweeted alongside her gripe was miles and miles of articulated lorries? I doubt they're on half term and I doubt many Euro drivers that do manage to get home ever want to come back . The Brexit shit gets worse by the hour and no ones allowed to mention it on MSM they have to find other reasons. As it stands f**k all in this country works anymore from the Ports to the NHS and from the Trains to the Social Services for the elderly and infirm.
Even our f**king hens have to have 'Wet Play' inside barns because of bird flu and now Monkey Pox is on the way over , we're in f**king bits and the one running the c**try spends his sober hours lying through his f**king teeth .

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 30th May 2022, 1:01 PM

Even our f**king hens have to have 'Wet Play' inside barns because of bird flu

You'll be thrilled to hear that mandatory restriction have been relaxed so domestic keepers like me and the missus can put our ladies out.
It's small consolation for the wanton destruction of everything that was once great about this country but - eggs is eggs.

She didn't vote for the EU to insist on long and tedious customs checks with a thousand boxes to tick. The EU have decided this is a necessary punishment for anyone daring to leave, or maybe as it's just for us Brits, as many suspect. They weren't needed when we were members, the goods coming in and out haven't changed, so we all know the ridiculous hold ups aren't necessary and are purely politically motivated by a huge grudge.

I'm glad they're able to play out as I use to hate 'Wet Play' when I was a kid . And since then its been hijacked by the perverts to mean something else.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th May 2022, 1:21 PM

She didn't vote for the EU to insist on long and tedious customs checks with a thousand boxes to tick. The EU have decided this is a necessary punishment for anyone daring to leave, or maybe as it's just for us Brits, as many suspect. They weren't needed when we were members, the goods coming in and out haven't changed, so we all know the ridiculous hold ups aren't necessary and are purely politically motivated by a huge grudge.

What the Europeans do is their own business we can't moan as it has noting whatsoever to do with us. We prospered under those rules and as such we knew we would have to face them when we left so I don't see how we can complain ?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th May 2022, 1:21 PM

They weren't needed when we were members

Thats sort of the point.
We're now a third country (like the aforementioned Botswana) outside the single market and customs union and we wouldn't sign up to a common standards policy - although it was on the table but deemed not Brexity enough.
Consequently we don't get the advantages of being in the EU.
Something you've already said is a price worth paying for being released from the tyrannical yoke of the EU death machine.
We were assured time and time again that this would be the situation if we took this course, and this kind of Brexit.
It is entirely of our own making.
They've just kept to their word - a weird concept, I know, somewhat alien to the current incumbents of No.10

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th May 2022, 1:31 PM

and we wouldn't sign up to a common standards policy - although it was on the table but deemed not Brexity enough.

Because it attempted to control what we could buy & sell outside the EU as well, they don't want to be undercut by a big competitor but that's what a free market is. They've got a controlled market by a cartel, allowing free trade between members only and a complete ban on individual member trade deals with anyone else. This sort of anti competitive practice should be illegal.

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th May 2022, 1:31 PM

Thats sort of the point.
We're now a third country (like the aforementioned Botswana)

We don't have to be, when our trade was accepted for 40 years without nonsense hold ups, they know there is no danger. It is a purely political, punitive and vindictive measure that hurts their economy as much as ours. But we're dealing with the perverse French here, who are so rabidly anti British they don't care if they suffer as well, as long as we do.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 30th May 2022, 1:01 PM

is crying down her legs

Is that a saying?

It is in Liverpool and has been for time.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th May 2022, 1:54 PM

they know there is no danger.

How exactly?
The very fact that we wouldn't abide by their standards meant that their standards would not be abided by.
Otherwise we'd have agreed.
I really don't think you can complain about them applying the rules they repeatedly said they would apply.
Or did you think that "We held all the cards"?

No I just hoped they might be pragmatic and sensible for the sake of their economy and ours, and take a less officious approach based on their 40 years of experience of handling our trade with no problems.

Quote: zooo @ 30th May 2022, 2:19 PM

Is that a saying?

It is now. ?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 30th May 2022, 2:23 PM

It is in Liverpool and has been for time.

?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th May 2022, 3:04 PM

No I just hoped they might be pragmatic and sensible for the sake of their economy and ours, and take a less officious approach based on their 40 years of experience of handling our trade with no problems.

The integrity of the Single Market is more important to them.
They took a hit, but not as big as ours - they consider that worth it.
The architects of Brexit knew we were going to take a hit (though they neglected to put that on the side of a bus) and they thought it was worth it.
And now we have to wait 50 years to find out if they were right according to JRM - which is very bloody convenient as he'll be buried deeper than his off-shore money by then.
But it comes down to the same thing.
Having repeatedly said that was their policy, they'd be a pretty weak outfit if they said "Oh, alright then"
We gambled - and lost.

But first I make a protestacioun. Than is the newe pere-jonette tree and softer than the wolle is of a wether and by her (or their to be politically correcte) girdle hung a purse of leather, I announce I wishen to sprecht - also zarathustra - in Chaucerian Englishe froms henceforths and promotes it as a languages of alas metricated equalles for the Jubileebelees. Belees. By the plume de ma tante, fail ye in your taske to conform in yer netherbaskettes and thou shalle pay groats and go to the footes of our stairs. Deuteronomy. Wel bet is roten appul out of hoord than that it rotie al the remenaunt.

Yus?