I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,343

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 4th February 2022, 5:53 PM

Yawn....

Had your Horlicks a bit early, SG?

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th February 2022, 5:28 PM

Privatising energy

Another Tory master stroke

Yes, because it all worked so very well and was so cheap and clean and reliable in the 1970s, wasn't it?

Given that it was supposed to make the market competitive I have never seen one company advertising lower rates than its competitors so its basically a cabal. Its the same as Yeltsin's flotations and the rise of the Oligarchs, we saw how that went.
If something is too big too fail it shouldn't be in private hands, that's a rule of thumb for both for both ends of the political spectrum.

Privatising the railways....

Complete joke

Sky high ticket prices year on year on year - for a garbage service

Now they've done the same with the Royal Mail- give it a few years and it will be a total shambles too

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 4th February 2022, 6:50 PM

I have never seen one company advertising lower rates than its competitors

Are you serious?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 4th February 2022, 6:50 PM

If something is too big too fail it shouldn't be in private hands, that's a rule of thumb for both for both ends of the political spectrum.

You may have noticed a number of companies have gone under in the last 6 months.

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th February 2022, 7:13 PM

Privatising the railways...

Agreed, this one should never have happened.

Because they should never have been nationalised in the first place.

I have never seen one advert where a gas company or an electricity supplier offers a better rate than its competitor. I have with phones food and most things but I have never seen one of those and I am happy to be proven wrong and or ignorant I've just never seen one.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th February 2022, 6:25 PM

Yes, because it all worked so very well and was so cheap and clean and reliable in the 1970s, wasn't it?

Those hellish seventies. Thank god everything is so much better now.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 4th February 2022, 8:52 PM

I have never seen one advert where a gas company or an electricity supplier offers a better rate than its competitor. I have with phones food and most things but I have never seen one of those and I am happy to be proven wrong and or ignorant I've just never seen one.

It's always been one way traffic

Supplier raises its prices

'Other suppliers are expected to follow suite'

Which means they will - and they do

U.K. labor unions have slammed Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey after he called for workers to hold off on demanding big pay rises to help control inflation.
"Workers don't need lectures from the Governor of the Bank of England on exercising pay restraint," Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said. "Why is it that every time there is a crisis, rich men ask ordinary people to pay for it?"
The pushback comes after Bailey, in a number of interviews about the BOE's interest-rate hike on Thursday, said workers needed to exercise restraint in pay negotiations to prevent a wage-inflation spiral. Bailey's pay tops 575,000 pounds ($780,000), about 18 times average earnings.
Gary Smith, the general secretary of the GMB trade union, said the comments were a "sick joke".
"The nerve of Mr. Bailey is scarcely credible," he said. "Telling the hard-working people who carried this country through the pandemic they don't deserve a pay rise is outrageous."

Hang on, isn't he a daft c*nt??

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th February 2022, 9:48 PM

U.K. labor unions have slammed Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey after he called for workers to hold off on demanding big pay rises to help control inflation.
"Workers don't need lectures from the Governor of the Bank of England on exercising pay restraint," Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said. "Why is it that every time there is a crisis, rich men ask ordinary people to pay for it?"
The pushback comes after Bailey, in a number of interviews about the BOE's interest-rate hike on Thursday, said workers needed to exercise restraint in pay negotiations to prevent a wage-inflation spiral. Bailey's pay tops 575,000 pounds ($780,000), about 18 times average earnings.
Gary Smith, the general secretary of the GMB trade union, said the comments were a "sick joke".
"The nerve of Mr. Bailey is scarcely credible," he said. "Telling the hard-working people who carried this country through the pandemic they don't deserve a pay rise is outrageous."

Hang on, isn't he a daft c*nt??

LABOR? HOW DARE YOU!

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 4th February 2022, 8:52 PM

The go-compare companies and the like often advertised cheaper gas and electricity.
I joined years ago and as soon as a gas or electric company was cheaper than who you were with, they automatically swapped you to them.
They've all gone bust now though.

I know about the compare companies Ste my point is that I have never seen the likes of British Gas advertise anything other than its boiler services etc. I'm not taking the piss I just honestly thought they would have adverts saying how cheaper they are say to EON etc. I know the small start ups tried before they went to the wall. I just thought they would do things like Aldi do with Tesco etc they compare baskets. As it stands no matter what your political stance or view you could hardly call it a market place.
I'm not coming on here to argue just to explain my view from a council house window, it may different from yours and thats fine as I know you work your arse off for what you have and that you're your no silver spoon merchant yourself and that we differ in views. But surely we can agree that this market is fixed and we are ALL its victims .
In Liverpool we had a market called St Johns and it was predominantly Asian store holders, the price of jeans on every stall was the same because they knew if one discounted they would all have to so they never. Thats what I see with gas and electric it was supposed to be competitive and its not its just lucrative for its shareholders.

Privatisation of the railways was never going to work. Even Mrs Thatcher declined that.

Unlike the utilities or mail/courier services, there can be no competition between railway companies; they all go to different places. If I want to go from Sussex to London, I can't compare prices and services and make a decision as to with whom I want to travel. I either have to travel with Southern or not. Quite often not - because the train's been cancelled.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th February 2022, 9:15 AM

Privatisation of the railways was never going to work. Even Mrs Thatcher declined that.

Totally stupid idea, as most de-nationalisations are, as it just gives a select few very fat cat salaries that Joe Bloggs has to pay for, and what about the workers? F**k them.

Answering criticism of BBC3 that 80% of programmes are repeats the controller says that "the channel is part of a content discovery ecosystem." So not repeats then.