I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,345

Apart from acid woman - the rest are all decent human beings

Preeti Patel looks like she would tear your face off if you as much as smiled at her

You forgot about Jess Philip's wanting every one to take a HIV test.

Quote: lofthouse @ 6th February 2022, 1:49 PM

Apart from acid woman - the rest are all decent human beings

No-one's debating whether they're decent human beings. I suspect that none of us know any of them personally and so are not in a position to form a considered judgement.

The charge was craziness.

You'd have to be crazy to risk your political career - and a prison sentence - to avoid getting a few points on your driving licence; you'd have to be crazy, not only to support but also to propose Jeremy Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party and therefore potential Prime Minister (as I accept you also would with Boris Johnson before you come back with that); you'd have to be crazy to think that mocking the England flag during a football tournament would attract support amongst voters; you'd have to be crazy to risk criticising Matt Hancock over his affair while you, yourself, are doing the same; you'd have to be crazy to berate private education publicly while, at the same time, sending your son to a private school and think no-one would notice.

Quote: lofthouse @ 6th February 2022, 1:49 PM

.... Preeti Patel looks like she would tear your face off if you as much as smiled at her

So we just need to figure out how to get Michael Gove to smile at her, the perfect crime.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 6th February 2022, 1:43 PM

And then, of course, there's Angela Rayner, Rebecca Long-Bailey, Emily Thornberry, Diane Abbot. And the one that threatened to throw acid in the face of her ex-boyfriend's partner. And the one that was imprisoned for 3 months for lying to avoid a speeding fine. All perfectly normal.

The fact you're in the Tory party at all should be a warning sign.

If you tell a joke that some people don't like, you may have a visit from the police to investigate a hate crime.
Jimmy Carr's gypsy joke for example.
I have to wonder which people see a joke and think 'I'm calling the police.

Happy Birthday to the Internet!
Ten years old today.

Question from an American who hasn't paid much attention to the subject: Is Boris Johnson under fire for having parties while the country was locked down, or because he lied about it afterwards? Or for some other reason?

Quote: DaButt @ 7th February 2022, 3:09 PM

Question from an American who hasn't paid much attention to the subject: Is Boris Johnson under fire for having parties while the country was locked down, or because he lied about it afterwards? Or for some other reason?

Both, really.
The second jut added insult to injury.
It also followed fairly hot on the heels of him trying to change the rules - and whipping his MP's to do the same - to save a mate who'd been found to be taking money to lobby for a private company (against the rules)
It's blue on blue conflict as only Tory MP's can get him out- and quite a lot of them have had enough - he's bit a liability.
The rest of us have just grabbed the popcorn.

They do sound like shit parties too. At least Berlesconi"s bunga bunga parties were filled with stunningly beautiful models. Ours had Matt Hancock.

Berlusconi says, 'At this point, all I want is food, somewhere to sleep and regular sex.' So why's he so desperate to stay out of prison?

Thanks for the clarification. I can't fault someone for having a few drinks with their friends, but lying about it is no bueno. It's sad that we expect our elected officials to lie to us. We should hold them to a higher standard.

Quote: DaButt @ 7th February 2022, 3:49 PM

I can't fault someone for having a few drinks with their friends,

But the rest of us didn't have a drink with anyone. People couldn't bury their loved ones. Weddings cancelled. Elderly parents alone and unvisited. We all (well, the non-c**ts) did the right thing. These Brexit-eers bang on about the war, blitz spirit and all that - when all the time the engineers of the policy were doing whatever they liked. Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Too right, didn't Brexiteers campaigned off the back of Eurocrats taking the piss...

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th February 2022, 4:24 PM

But the rest of us didn't have a drink with anyone. People couldn't bury their loved ones. Weddings cancelled. Elderly parents alone and unvisited. We all (well, the non-c**ts) did the right thing. These Brexit-eers bang on about the war, blitz spirit and all that - when all the time the engineers of the policy were doing whatever they liked. Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Not to be offensive, but those restrictions were ridiculous, arbitrary, and unnecessary. They should've been met with Canadian-trucker-like resistance. That kind of thing would never have worked here - at least in some states.