I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,972

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 6th February 2018, 9:26 PM

That was a thrilling ride and it was made to look so easy. At some parts it was almost showboating and hard to believe these are real life, very large objects :D

I'll never get the chance but I don't think I could be surrounded by all that fuel with all those afterburners.

You should visit Florida and take in a launch sometime. They're very impressive in person.

Great sense of humor from Elon Musk, launching his car into space and quoting The Hitchhiker's Guide:

Printed on a circuit board on a car in deep space:

I didn't know before today, but the new Tesla Roadster had a lot of design input from Lotus.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/blog/lotus-position

Quote: Briosaid @ 17th January 2018, 11:33 PM

Where do I begin? (SIGH). I take it your response means you think Alfred SHOULD be strung up by the bollocks?

Try beginning by saying what benefits we get from being part of the EU.

Numerous. Food hygiene standards (or maybe you'd prefer crappy American chicken washed in disinfectant) Farmer subsidies.More than 50% per cent of our trade (bear in mind new trade deals can take years to put in place) . The ability to swan about Europe without worrying about health problems, passports etc. No wars between member countries since WW2, which is quite a record when you consider previous centuries. The list is endless but it's late and I've had 2 glasses of wine. Then there are the negatives which began soon after the referendum - withdrawal of European research funding for universities, withdrawal of clever Europeans from universities, which began very quickly after the result. And where do we start about finance! A friend's daughter works in finance in London, and ages ago her firm began transferring staff to Paris. Sorry to say this and I kniw it doesn't apply to all who voted for Brexit, but it looked very much as if a lot of folk who voted for it, did so for racist reasons, and sometimes because they thought they could turn the clock back to what they think were the great days of the Empire (I'm trying not to sneer). I'm glad to say I only know 3/4 people who voted for Brexit and I don't live a hermit's life.

Quote: Briosaid @ 8th February 2018, 12:25 AM

ages ago her firm began transferring staff to Paris. life.

A lot of sectors are looking at moves like that. Transportation industry, their licenses will become invalid on European roads. Also 10% tariffs on new car models will not be made in UK factories, so they will slowly wither and die. America and Japan have clearly stated they do not see us as their gateway to Europe any more, so it's not just EU income this is damaging.

The service industry is starting to off shore more and more, India's hourly rate is a third of that in the UK for highly skilled jobs, no issue with minimum wage etc... So ironically the reasons for Brexit won't be met. You are more likely to hear more foreign accents on the phone than less. The NHS absolutely has to have overseas professionals, we don't train enough. All this to ban holes in cheese ? To take away choice ? Remind me of the tangible, evidenced benefits again ? I know people who admitted to voting Brexit but deny it now. That number will rocket once we feel the financial reality of it all. It took 60 years to build these trade links, and we have gifted the competition an excuse to price out of the market in just a few months. Pride before a fall. Sick

It strikes me that the only ones you hear from are the remoaners
And always with terrible tales of woe.
They never let up with false or misleading facts.

The country voted fairly and democratically and the vote for Brexit won. (doesn't even matter if it was by just 1 vote)

Here's what's going to happen when we leave the European union.
Virtually nothing noticeable.
The farmer in Seville will still sell his 1 million oranges a year to the UK at the same price.
And UK traders will still sell their goods and services to whomever they sold them to before.

And more than likely, other countries will see that the UK is doing alright and also leave until it collapses in on itself.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th February 2018, 8:54 AM

And more than likely, other countries will see that the UK is doing alright and also leave until it collapses in on itself.

France's Macron recently admitted that France would vote to leave the EU if offered a similar choice. The tides of anti-EU sentiment are rising across Europe.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th February 2018, 8:54 AM

They never let up with false or misleading facts."

I'm really trying not to laugh. One word - BUS!

It's very naive to believe one side is lily white and the other side are liars. They're all at it. That''s what politicians do. I've experienced 2 referenda in the last 3 years - all you can do is decide what is best for you and vote accordingly, and not just believe what Brexshitters like Farage and Johnson tell you. Every argument has 2 sides and both will play every card they can.

"Here's what's going to happen when we leave the European union.
Virtually nothing noticeable.
The farmer in Seville will still sell his 1 million oranges a year to the UK at the same price.
And UK traders will still sell their goods and services to whomever they sold them to before."

More naivety. Do you really believe this? I do wonder what news programmes you watch.

Quote: DaButt @ 8th February 2018, 12:46 PM

France's Macron recently admitted that France would vote to leave the EU if offered a similar choice. The tides of anti-EU sentiment are rising across Europe.

It's no surprise to me, I always felt that if we WERE to stay in Europe (this is way before the BREXIT vote) then we should have taken a tougher line with Brussels (i.e. way back when we COULD have done..) As we have always been a major contributor, we should have had a major say regarding policy. The idea that all 27 member states are "equal" is a fantasy; how can that be so in the World "as it is"? It might be so in a World where things are, "how we would like them to be"; and we can look into that when we have that paradise on Earth. Otherwise, let's reside in the real World.

Hiya DaButt, your old banter pal is back, though I am less "angry" than before, as you can see from the name change.

:)

The wording painted on the bus did NOT promise all the money to the NHS; (it was blatantly exaggerated by the media to make it seem that all the money would go to the NHS. In their speeches Boris and Gove consistently actually said:

Vote Leave, which is jointly lead by Mr Gove, will also accuse the Government of failing to give the health service adequate resources and suggest that Britain should stop spending its money on EU bureaucrats and instead invest it in "priorities like the NHS".

note Priorities like the NHS, not: Give all the money to the NHS

Typical misquoting by the media:

Vote Leave claims £50m a day is being sent to Brussels - money it says could be spent instead on building hospitals and reducing pressures on the NHS.

More typical misquoting by the media: This was the Telegraph headline above that quote above (that clearly said "Priorities like the NHS")

EU referendum: Spend Brussels billions on NHS instead, Boris Johnson and Michael Gove to urge

However some of the posters & banners displayed behind speeches did imply that all of the saved EU money could go to the NHS.

However the Doom & Gloom predictions by the remainers were equally untrue; but the remoaners hardly ever if ever mention that.

If remoaners stopped treating it as Armageddon or some sort of judgement day then there would be more meaningful intercourse between the two.

Quote: Briosaid @ 8th February 2018, 11:27 PM

I'm really trying not to laugh. One word - BUS!

It's very naive to believe one side is lily white and the other side are liars. They're all at it. That''s what politicians do. I've experienced 2 referenda in the last 3 years - all you can do is decide what is best for you and vote accordingly, and not just believe what Brexshitters like Farage and Johnson tell you. Every argument has 2 sides and both will play every card they can.

More naivety. Do you really believe this? I do wonder what news programmes you watch.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th February 2018, 7:46 AM

..............then there would be more meaningful intercourse between the two.

You've got my vote.

Quote: Frankie Mildly Perturbed @ 8th February 2018, 11:33 PM

Hiya DaButt, your old banter pal is back, though I am less "angry" than before, as you can see from the name change.

Howdy!

So - can anybody tell me what they think the advantages of Brexit are (apart from the mad belief that Britain controls the universe and that all non-white people must be the spawn of satan)?