I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,760

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th August 2015, 10:36 AM BST

but at least there was a lesson learnt

Don't mess with Uncle Sam?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th August 2015, 10:36 AM BST

Would the Japanese have carried on much longer without the bombs? I doubt it

Consider the death toll for taking the tiny outlying island of Okinawa: 20,000 Americans and 200,000 Japanese dead. The invasion of mainland Japan would have killed millions. The real tragedy is that the Japanese government didn't surrender after the bombing of Hiroshima. Nagasaki shouldn't have been necessary.

Given the scale of the US losses, and the shocking atrocities the Japanese were guilty of, I'm always surprised at the restraint exercised by the US in using The Bomb so sparingly.

Quote: Nogget @ 9th August 2015, 11:14 AM BST

Given the scale of the US losses, and the shocking atrocities the Japanese were guilty of, I'm always surprised at the restraint exercised by the US in using The Bomb so sparingly.

We used the only two bombs that we had. Although more would have been ready within the next few weeks.

The Japanese thought they could get a better deal with Stalin. Who had a vast army in Manchuria, actually with more elite units than in the German front. If you include Okinawa and the fire bombings. They sacrificed hundreds of thousands of lives for brinkmanship sake.

nb the Japanese leadership seemed more willing to sacrifice their own citizens than the US.

Towards the end of the war they had 2 surprise weapons the US only knew a little about. The IS 400 aircraft carrier sub, that could have bombed the east coast of the US. And from unit 700 a weaponised version of Typhus (tested in Manchuria at a cost of thousands of lives), which i400 could deliver.

It would have caused tens of thousands of US lives at a time, US enthusiasim for a war to the very end was waning.

They never used either.

They only built two of the subs. Each could carry three planes with a single bomb. Three bombs wouldn't exactly have changed the outcome of the war. They were a waste of time and money.

That's why I said combined with the work the Japanese did on bio wepaons.

Which would have worked, they tested them on the Chinese enough.

(from the air with similar sized planes)

Why do they call it "doping" when it improves performances?

One of those words that has become generic describing what originally could have been used for slowing down an animal as well as giving it a boost.

I saw the girl who lost half her leg in the Alton Towers crash on the news today.
But still no report on what caused the malfunction.

My money is still on cheap control systems.

Somebody is going to go to jail for this.

I hope Alton Towers have good personal liability insurance although I wouldn't want to be in charge of that company. I fear the profits might take a hit.

"Families of British soldiers killed in Iraq are threatening to take legal action against Sir John Chilcot, who led the inquiry into the conflict."

6 years and £10 million - jobs for the boys. Lawyers yet again taking the piss and raking it in, f**king money grabbing bastards.

Yet another Jarndyce v Jarndyce - nothing changes. Lawyers/Politicians, and the greatest of these is that c**t Blair.

That's why they don't want it published. Blair will come of it with shit all over him but I doubt if they'll reveal anything about that Doctor who was assassinated.

Bleedin' Hell! I thought the Buncefield fire/explosion 10 years ago was bad enough when I went to see the aftermath, but this one in China is MEGA MEGA!!

This one at a Nevada plant that produced solid rocket fuel was 30x-50x larger, but fortunately it was out in a sparsely populated portion of the desert.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEPCON_disaster

http://youtu.be/_KuGizBjDXo