I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,280

Or it could be that he fancied her more than she fancied him.
And she went very publicly broke a couple of years ago and he's still attached limpet like to the government teat.

You are so unromantic, Soots.

Oi I've written dating guides and copy for dating websites.

I'm professionally romantic.

And I think my version is romantic in the classic, Bronte, Portrait of a Lady sense.

None of this soppy marrying someone you love rubbish.

Quote: Natalie Of Wicks @ August 26 2013, 1:10 AM BST

Our western leaders might be deceitful and uncaring, but at least they're not slaughtering us in the street quite yet.

No , not us

But theyve slaughtered countless thousands in the middle east in the last couple of decades

And thousands continue to die in those countries as a direct consequence of 'our' actions there

And they couldn't give a shit

And they will go into Syria even if the UN says no

Sounds familiar ...

Quote: lofthouse @ August 26 2013, 6:05 PM BST

No, not us

Uh-huh.

I must have imagined the charitable food banks and the suicide rates for young unemployed males.

Quote: lofthouse @ August 26 2013, 6:05 PM BST

No , not us

But theyve slaughtered countless thousands in the middle east in the last couple of decades

And thousands continue to die in those countries as a direct consequence of 'our' actions there

And they couldn't give a shit

And they will go into Syria even if the UN says no

Sounds familiar ...

The problem with the middle east is it's history is so turbulent and bloody, that you can pick any moment. Find a massacre and then say you; Iranians, Russians, Islamists, Jews, Kurds, Ottomans, Americans or Brits.

It's all your fault, look what you did.

Doesn't help. Nor does the shrill, wheesle voice of the people who protested the 2003 Gulf War and are still miffed they were ignored.

Frankly bombing Syria or invading it will make little diference.

Setting up a sea and land blockade and turning back every ship or truck carrying arms would. And making abundantly clear to Russia if it wants to trade with Europe it can't sell cheap guns to exallies, out of misguided romanticism for the USSR.

As would firmly informing the Arab League et al they can send peace keepers in uniforms with guns. Not a bunch of dubious guys in mufti with truckloads of unaccountable firepower to handout like sweets.

Quote: sootyj @ August 27 2013, 10:19 AM BST

The problem with the middle east is it's history is so turbulent and bloody, that you can pick any moment. Find a massacre and then say you; Iranians, Russians, Islamists, Jews, Kurds, Ottomans, Americans or Brits.

It's all your fault, look what you did.

Doesn't help. Nor does the shrill, wheesle voice of the people who protested the 2003 Gulf War and are still miffed they were ignored.

Frankly bombing Syria or invading it will make little diference.

Setting up a sea and land blockade and turning back every ship or truck carrying arms would. And making abundantly clear to Russia if it wants to trade with Europe it can't sell cheap guns to exallies, out of misguided romanticism for the USSR.

As would firmly informing the Arab League et al they can send peace keepers in uniforms with guns. Not a bunch of dubious guys in mufti with truckloads of unaccountable firepower to handout like sweets.

I don't have any view on what we should or should not do. It won't be our decision so there is very little point. An "expert" on the radio said the alternative to Assad would be the caveman thing or words to that effect. That's worse. What is becoming clearer by the day is that sanctimony should begin at home. MPs haven't mastered it here yet - or indeed in their own peculiar affairs undertaken in the Parliament buildings.

Quote: lofthouse @ August 25 2013, 10:53 PM BST

The yanks just want to stick one of their puppets in power in Syria , just like in Afghanistan and Iraq

Because that has worked out well?

In 1990 Douglas Hurd vetoed arms supplies to the various none Serbian forces in the Yugoslav civil or military war.
Famously saying he didn't want to create a "level killing field."

The wars that followed killed an estimated 140,000 created a refugee crisis and almost became a mini cross European conflict.

It ended with US, French and English massive military intervention in the Kosovo war, precded by NATO using force to bomb Serbia and lift the seige of Sarajevo.

There is a place for force in politics. Although after 4 or 5 wars in 10 years I suspect the Allied militaries could do with a break.

It seems that the British army are involved in some sort of conflict pretty much all the time; as we pull out of one, we commit to another.

Nogget whats the motto of your bigamy club>?

Quote: Nogget @ August 27 2013, 11:15 AM BST

It as we pull out of one, we commit to another.

Big of you!

But true like France, Britain can't seem to shake endless, pointless post colonial fights.

Quote: sootyj @ August 27 2013, 11:18 AM BST

But true like France, Britain can't seem to shake endless, pointless post colonial fights.

Not completely pointless. There's no training like combat training, and we like to claim our troops are the best in the world. They wouldn't be best if we didn't keep creating training grounds for them.

It's nice to know our Celtic brethren can spare some time away from the devolution debate . .

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/glasgow-man-says-edinburgh-ketchup-charge-racist-1-3062264

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 27 2013, 10:07 PM BST

It's nice to know our Celtic brethren can spare some time away from the devolution debate . .

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/glasgow-man-says-edinburgh-ketchup-charge-racist-1-3062264

Wel you have to get your priorities right and we Glaswegians know that Edinbuggers are mean bastards.

There was/is an article about Steve Coogan in my local paper today:

http://bazonline.ch/kultur/kino/Ich-mag-es-nicht-von-Kopfnickern-umgeben-zu-sein/story/14826780