Live At The Apollo - Series 4

A new series of Live at the Apollo is going to replace Friday Night with Jonathan Ross. The first host is going to be Michael McIntyre, and Frankie Boyle will be one of the guests during the series. Sounds like a good swap to me.

Story from the BBC

Yes, sounds good to me too. :)

I always miss this when it's on, but I'll try to catch some this time.

It's repeated on Dave, I think it is, quite a bit at present.

So... first episode of the new series. What did everyone think?

I thought Michael McIntyre was awesome. Great observations on things like baby scans, passports, saying you have a pen when you don't etc. He has an impressive ability to mine jokes out of seemingly boring topics like 'HD Ready TVs'. I felt sorry for the cameraman though, all that striding he was doing.

Nice to see Rich Hall drop his Otis Lee Crenshaw act and go it straight - he's better for it.

Rhod Gilbert had a strong set too - just a shame I'd heard it at least two times previously... it was word-for-word the same (even the responses to the audience questions). He could have come up with at least one new segment for the show.

I'd never seen Michael McIntyre's stand-up before. But I'd seen him on that Channel Four topical satire show recently and he was terrible. So I was stunned to see how good he was at this. I thought, he can't be the same bloke surely? I like Rich Hall, but he and the other Welsh guy were just put in the shade by him.

He looks just like so many other crassly commercial comedians but then his observations are just brilliantly acute and he has such energy, you can't help but be swept away by him.

Having spent a fortune the previous Friday night to see the appalling Steve Coogan show, I'll be in front of the telly for the next few Friday nights. Is he on every show?

Quote: John Kelly @ November 29 2008, 12:37 PM GMT

I'd never seen Michael McIntyre's stand-up before.

He first came to notice with another very good set for the Royal Variety Performance a couple of years ago. He's now quickly becoming one of the biggest names in the industry.

Sadly this was the only episode of Live At The Apollo he's doing though. See here for the complete series line-up: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/live_at_the_apollo/episodes/4/

I've never liked Michael McIntyre when he's appeared on panel shows, so I was surprised he was so good on 'Apollo'. Shame that Jack Dee's not appearing at all in the new series, though.

Quote: Mark @ November 29 2008, 12:24 PM GMT

So... first episode of the new series. What did everyone think?

I agree that Michael McIntyre was brilliant. The bit about not having a pen had me in bits. Infact I would go as far to say that he is the funniest comedian I have seen for a while. I personally think he stole the show.

Rich Hall was really good. I've never seen him outside of QI before so I didn't know what I was going to get. He had a good chatty style that held your attention.

Rhod Gilbert was pretty funny, but like you I had heard it before. A few weeks ago he was a featured comedian on the Radio 4 show they do and I definitely recall the section about the taliban and phoning his mom. Overall though I thought he was pretty good.

All in all I thought this first show was excellent with each comedian hitting above the belt and delivering some good stuff. Michael McIntyre however went into orbit. I'm not sure if he's touring but I would buy tickets for him in a flash. Actually I would go and see all three of them.

Def.

I enjoyed this.

Michael McIntyre did do alot of stuff from his DVD though (which is very funny btw). One bit not on there was the bit about the Kings Of Leon song 'Sex On Fire', which I thought was hilarious.

In a strong opening show, McIntyre was sensational. Agree with all comments about him here, especially suggesting he's the best stand-up around at the moment. Had me in stitches throughout and I haven't said that about anyone for a while.

I still think he's a smug, self-satisfied twat and I can't watch him.

Give me Ricky Gervais or Jack Dee anytime. N0 - don't actually give them to me.

McIntyre was hilarious, Rich Hall was OK and that welsh guy was about as funny as a kick in the nuts.

I seem to be in the minority here, but it seemed clear to me that Rhod Gilbert was the star turn. MM is really good, and a great performer, but Gilbert really did it for me.

Surprisingly for me I do like Rich Hall. He is an honorary Brit after all.