Live At The Apollo - Series 4 Page 2

Quote: Mark @ November 29 2008, 12:24 PM GMT

Nice to see Rich Hall drop his Otis Lee Crenshaw act and go it straight - he's better for it.

He's already done Live At The Apollo as himself in a previous series.

Michael McIntyre was really funny. Just recently missed him doing a show local to me, absolutely gutted. His appearance on the last series of ...Apollo was possibly even funnier, especially the stuff about getting trains in London.

His 'Sex On Fire' gag had me splurting my coffe across the living room.

I was really dissapointed with Rhod Gilbert. He was ok but I thought he was a bit off that night. He is much, much better than that showed. Hoping to catch him live in the new year. Have a look on YouTube for his Comedy Store special. It's on there in 3 parts - just brilliant. As is his lost luggage routine.

By the way, McIntyre's last Apollo appearance is on YouTube aswell I think.

The second episode - Jack Dee, Shappi Khorsandi (sp?) and Russell Kane

Not a patch on the first episode. Jack Dee was a bit flat and the 'read out your texts' gimmick is old and tired now. I've seen Jack live twice and he has done this both times and used up a good proportion of his time on stage to do it. The first time I went to see him he used paper so people could write a funny message and the second time paper was replaced by texting. Also, call me odd but even I know that a large paragraph he 'reads out' cannot possibly fit on a small mobile screen. I'm sorry but I just find this aspect dull and tired.

Shappi was funny but unfortunately her material here was the exact same set she did for the Secret Policeman's Ball. Come on people, If lots of people are going to see both sets then can't we have something new?

Russell Kane - a bit weird really. Some of it funny but overall I wasn't impressed with him.

I think that the first show was a blinder and it's going to be hard to keep up with it.

Def.

Test?

Tickle?

I thought Russell Kane was pretty good.

Deferenz, are you sure you watched it? Jack Dee's not on this series.

Michael McIntyre has definitely been the best so far. Russell Kane was pretty good as well. So was Al Murray and Rich Hall... they've all been funny.

Quote: Yatta @ December 10 2008, 12:59 PM GMT

Al Murray

Sick

Matthew, you're barred! Angry

I haven't watched any of this and frankly with the acts you've all named I'm bloody glad.

If Sean Lock Lock turns up I'll watch him. He's great.

Otherwise, bring back Jonathan Ross!

Quote: Aaron @ December 10 2008, 12:47 PM GMT

Deferenz, are you sure you watched it? Jack Dee's not on this series.

Well spotted! - I feel an explanation is required...

Now that I've searched the memory banks, just before the new episode I watched an episode of Live at the Apollo on Dave or Gold. This was Jack Dee and Lee Mack. What I said about Jack Dee still stands albeit not as fresh as before.

So anyway, I then switch over and It was Al Murray wasn't it doing the intro's. I am of course deeply embarrassed at getting this wrong. Incidently, his routine was pretty much identical to the set he did when I saw him live on stage in Crawley. I would add the same comment here as for Shappi.

Def.

Sean Lock is on this week's episode.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/live_at_the_apollo/episodes/4/

Quote: Deferenz @ December 10 2008, 1:35 PM GMT

Well spotted! - I feel an explanation is required...

Now that I've searched the memory banks, just before the new episode I watched an episode of Live at the Apollo on Dave or Gold. This was Jack Dee and Lee Mack. What I said about Jack Dee still stands albeit not as fresh as before.

So anyway, I then switch over and It was Al Murray wasn't it doing the intro's. I am of course deeply embarrassed at getting this wrong. Incidently, his routine was pretty much identical to the set he did when I saw him live on stage in Crawley. I would add the same comment here as for Shappi.

Def.

Then you are forgiven.

I didn't think it was the Guv's best set, but I'd not seen it before, so was pleasantly amused.

Cheers Aaron. I shall watch it then. Ta.

Felt a bit odd.

Al Murray- the pub landlord character is very much love it or hate it. That makes it all the more amusing he targeted benefit cheats, since they seem to be a big part of his audience. Probably one of his more enjoyable performances.

Shappi- Flat. Another 'I'm middle class trying to talk to a working class audience' comedian, along with the 'Every joke I tell is about my race' gimmick. A few flashes of wit but pretty painful.

Russel-...Are we sure this wasn't Russel Howard? They felt very similar, even in name.

On this last note, are there any comedians called Russell who are actually funny? I can't think of buggery all.