The general pop/rock - music thread Page 28

Looking forward to tonight's extended "Later". Tuesday's show was great. Kicked off with Stereophonics, who I've not paid much attention to since 1999's "Performance and Cocktails" - I've found them a bit ordinary and plodding since then - but they were on fire playing "Catacomb", making a fairly unmelodic track seem fresh and vibrant.

Then there were 3 new acts I hadn't heard before, all really good. I'd heard of John Grant (only recently), but was impressed - the track grew on me second time around. I'd never heard of Low and they've been around for 20 years apparently, reminded me a bit of Alt-J, and I definitely want to check out more of their stuff.

Lee Thompson (from Madness) was on with his Ska Orchestra, really good too, with a great vocalist.

Stereophonics closed the show with a strong song, the title track from their new album, "Graffiti on the train". Won't win any awards for its lyrics, but musically really good, and a fantastic performance. They've really raised their game to the extent I'd go and see them live, whereas I wouldn't have ever considered that before.

The switch to Maidstone studios has possibly even given the show a new lease of life. I was worried it was going to get harder to book acts once they moved from London, but not on this evidence.

:|

'I'm over here ! Wave

Watching Searching for Sugarman the Rodriguez story.
Anyone else heard his stuff?
Been enjoying his two albums.

Bought these two dirt cheap at the flea market. At least of them is a(n) (American) classic:

I'm thinking about buying this compilation:

Any thoughts on the ex guitarist of Procol Harum? I have no knowledge about his solo work yet.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ June 1 2013, 11:18 AM BST

I'm thinking about buying this compilation:

Any thoughts on the ex guitarist of Procol Harum? I have no knowledge about his solo work yet.

Yes - buy it. Loads of great stuff including his Hendrix inspired playing - and the vocalist isn't too shabby either.

Quote: lofthouse @ May 24 2013, 10:12 PM BST

You absolute BASTARD Lofthouse!

I do love the Fall though. Not necessarily the music but the attitude - but yes I do like lots of their stuff.

Quote: Chappers @ June 1 2013, 12:29 PM BST

Yes - buy it. Loads of great stuff including his Hendrix inspired playing - and the vocalist isn't too shabby either.

Thanks Chappers.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ June 1 2013, 12:32 PM BST

Thanks Chappers.

I've got Long Misty Days on vinyl somewhere and love it. And there were albums before that which were critically well-recived.

Oooh - and a live cassette somewhere too.

Music related...
I've finally tracked down a picture of my guitar being played on stage with The New York Dolls!
I'm ordering a print off the photographer...

Not you playing it then. Did you have it before and leant it to them or did you just nick it?

(Reminder to listen to NYD Live CD.)

Quote: Chappers @ June 1 2013, 2:01 PM BST

Not you playing it then. Did you have it before and leant it to them or did you just nick it?

(Reminder to listen to NYD Live CD.)

Bought it in 1983 (that pic is 76/77).
I was told it was his when I bought it (yeah, sure!) - but never quite believed it, then a year ago found a shot of him playing it in The Criminal, but nothing up till now to prove it saw action in the NYD's.
Rather chuffed.

Was it a bargain?

Quote: Chappers @ June 1 2013, 3:39 PM BST

Was it a bargain?

It wasn't a bargain - took out a bank loan to buy it (age 23)!
But it was a good investment.
Not sure I'd ever sell it though.