Vicious - Series 1 Page 13

Quote: evan rubivellian @ May 8 2013, 6:40 PM BST

You agree that the characters in Vicious are not realistic, but then you say that you know a few people like them? They are realistic,then, in your viewpoint.

Except that the people you know are watered-down versions.

But that means the characters in Vicious are more realistic than the actual people you know?

I can't argue with that!

Of course flamboyant queens exist! But people are often more than what they appear to be on the surface. Or less. And that is what good art is about.

Well, in a way all sitcoms ARE a social commentary.

Haven't read through all of this, but put me down for DISAGREE just to be consistent!

Consistently what?

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2013, 8:32 PM BST

Consistently what?

Sorry, Marc--that must have seemed unduly flippant of me. I was making light of the fact that I'd disagreed with everyone else. I had in fact read your post. And agreed with it!

OK, it's not going to win any awards for originality, but I love the performances. Although for me, The Wright Way is better, I am enjoying this for the ensemble cast.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ May 8 2013, 9:48 PM BST

Sorry, Marc--that must have seemed unduly flippant of me. I was making light of the fact that I'd disagreed with everyone else. I had in fact read your post. And agreed with it!

Then that's okay! ;)

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2013, 4:11 PM BST

Well there is a thing called the willing suspension of disbelief.

There is, but don't push it too far: in terms of plot, character and mise en scene it is not difficult to distinguish between Blackadder Goes Forth and a documentary about British life on the Western Front in the middle years of the First World War. I'm not sure that weakens it as a comedy.

To put it simply if you are admiring a particular shot in a film you are not really engaging with the narrative. You shouldn't be noticing the wheels... just going on a journey. So in a sitcom, Tokyo, If you are noticing a cranky plot device and letting it go, it's ok... but not as good as it should. Especially within the farce genre. The trick is to have simple things get more complicated, as one lie or situation builds complexity. The thing with everything is that it doesn't matter how weird or absurd the world created in that sitcom, what happens within it should be true to it. It was that dissonance that jarred for the reasons I outlined above.

I enjoyed this weeks episode again. Got a nagging feeling though that perhaps a bit too much of the script is taken up by the bitching between Stuart and Freddie. Still, there's plenty of energy in the whole thing, so it's a small criticism.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ May 8 2013, 6:40 PM BST

You agree that the characters in Vicious are not realistic, but then you say that you know a few people like them? They are realistic,then, in your viewpoint.

Except that the people you know are watered-down versions.

But that means the characters in Vicious are more realistic than the actual people you know?

I can't argue with that!

I do know many people who are a watered down version of the characters in Vicious. In Vicious they are meant to a more hyper version of reality - not realistic.

I always feel as if I'm watching a Live Theatre production when I watch Vicious which isn't necrisally a bad thing.

Does anybody know what the theme tune is called?

Quote: G180e @ May 11 2013, 4:42 PM BST

Does anybody know what the theme tune is called?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/vicious/details/

I only recently learned that this reverend bloke that keeps appearing in panel shows was a former member of the Communards. You live and learn.

Ditto!

He is my local vicar :)

I wasn't sure what to make of this when I watched the first episode, but having watched the second episode I quite like it! There were some genuinely funny moments and a few classic one-liners.

As a point of interest, 'Heat' magazine recently featured an article about Vicious and The Job Lot, and they referred to them as a "double bill", as though you can't have one without the other!

I really liked this weeks episode again...some classic lines and the ending really made me laugh!