Vicious - Series 1 Page 8

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2013, 9:58 AM BST

:S

Ha ha, I mean I wasn't impressed with the actual script, didn't seem to have many jokes in that weren't painfully obvious, but the cast cracked me up even when they were delivering threadbare material.

Quote: gappy @ April 30 2013, 10:06 AM BST

Ha ha, I mean I wasn't impressed with the actual script, didn't seem to have many jokes in that weren't painfully obvious, but the cast cracked me up even when they were delivering threadbare material.

I second that emotion.

The OTT performance of the two main characters reminded me a bit of Bottom's Richie Richard at his most pretentious.

I do hope story and jokes get better with the next few episodes.

It did look like Rising Damp, but it was definitely mediocre. In fact, the only thing that made me laugh was the set, namely a plyabill for a production called, 'Get Me a Vicar'. It looked to me like even the cast knew the material was less than stellar.

Quote: Pip Bond @ April 30 2013, 11:43 AM BST

It looked to me like even the cast knew the material was less than stellar.

I doubt actors of the calibre of the two leads would commit to a TV sitcom if they thought it was lacking.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ April 30 2013, 9:28 AM BST

The Guardian gets upset that it's pre-Office. If that means "funny" rather than "sneery and uncomfortable". then I'm all for it.

:)

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ April 30 2013, 9:28 AM BST

One of the pieces of received wisdom that has to be challenged is that The Office is the highpoint of comedy of the past twenty years, and after it, everything changes, rather like the aftermath of a large meteor hitting Mexico and killing the dinosaurs. Hence the endless parade of workplace-set, laugh-free, shaky camera pseudo-docs. The more advanced version of this conceit is that in fact the KT boundary of comedy is Curb Your Enthusiasm, a claim undermined by the fact that approximately no-one actually watches it, whereas the Office was at least somewhat popular.

There's nothing wrong with laugh-out-loud studio-based comedy. When it's done well, as I think Vicious is, then it's funny. It's entertaining. It passes half an hour.

<3

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 30 2013, 12:06 PM BST

I doubt actors of the calibre of the two leads would commit to a TV sitcom if they thought it was lacking.

Indeed not. They took quite some convincing, I understand - and let us not forget that they have been booked again for an expected Series 2 commission, so presumably were anything but unhappy with the completed scripts.

I haven't heard the average person's take on the show so far, just bickering comedy nerds. Will be interesting to see what the reaction of the general viewing public is.

The Independent puts what I tried to say about this far more eloquently than I ever could.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/tv-review-vicious-itv-starring-sirs-ian-mckellen-and-derek-jacobi--the-only-laughter-it-provokes-is-canned-8595474.html

Does that critic not understand what canned laughter is?

*is confused*

I was never confused.

(Sorry, wrong sitcom.)

:D

I think there was real laughter topped up with pre-recorded laughter if I'm honest. The timing of the laughter seemed so off kilter and the fact that every single laugh sounded like it was the literally the funniest thing ever committed to film even on the smaller 'jokes' made it sound very fake indeed. I think one of the comments on that article says it all really...

'It made me embarrassed to be gay!'

Quote: Will Carter @ April 30 2013, 1:12 PM BST

I think there was real laughter topped up with pre-recorded laughter if I'm honest. The timing of the laughter seemed so off kilter and the fact that every single laugh sounded like it was the literally the funniest thing ever committed to film even on the smaller 'jokes' made it sound very fake indeed. I think one of the comments on that article says it all really...

'It made me embarrassed to be gay!'

Nothing about that laughter sounded remotely canned to me. As far as I'm aware it's hardly ever used these days. Anyway, Aaron went to the first recording so I'm sure he'll let you know whether or not the audience laughed in all the correct places.

Quote: Ben @ April 30 2013, 12:53 PM BST

I haven't heard the average person's take on the show so far, just bickering comedy nerds. Will be interesting to see what the reaction of the general viewing public is.

My teenage daughters laughed their socks off. I doubt they're the target demographic, either.

Quote: Ben @ April 30 2013, 12:53 PM BST

I heard my missus giggling like a loon from the other room as she watched it. And she's a right miserable cow.

That was a joke, in case you're reading darling.