The Wright Way Page 14

Quote: Marc P @ April 28 2013, 9:07 AM BST

Second in command an asian woman.

Indeed. Your Asian, the racist from the saloon bar will tell you (or, indeed, your racist Tory councillor inveighing against a boarding school for inner-city children will tell you) is so much harder working than your black. White man in charge, subcontinent assistant, black still cleaning the lavatory. Exactly the power gradient of the empire.

As it was a vehicle for David Haig in the main, would it be better if he 'blacked' up for the part.

And yet a role for a black woman could be found. Had he not been so busy casting his mates' daughter, he would have had other roles open for a bit of diversity.

Shame he knocked other comics but he did apologise in some ways when he grew up a bit.

He accused Benny Hill, if memory serves, of being responsible for rape. In that context, any fit of the vapours he has over a crappy sitcom being called crappy is entirely his problem. He didn't apologise, anyway: he used the politicians "out of context, I never intended, if I caused offence" formulation.

'Indeed. Your Asian, the racist from the saloon bar will tell you (or, indeed, your racist Tory councillor inveighing against a boarding school for inner-city children will tell you) is so much harder working than your black. White man in charge, subcontinent assistant, black still cleaning the lavatory. Exactly the power gradient of the empire.

And yet a role for a black woman could be found. Had he not been so busy casting his mates' daughter, he would have had other roles open for a bit of diversity.'

So your point is the sitcom is racist because it had a black woman as a cleaner because he was so lazy in casting his mate's daughter as a lesbian?

Are you Rik from The Young Ones?? Laughing out loud

Laughing out loud

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ April 28 2013, 9:44 AM BST

Indeed. Your Asian, the racist from the saloon bar will tell you (or, indeed, your racist Tory councillor inveighing against a boarding school for inner-city children will tell you) is so much harder working than your black. White man in charge, subcontinent assistant, black still cleaning the lavatory. Exactly the power gradient of the empire.

:|

Wow.

I was sat in my orangery taking Tiffin and absorbing my Daily Mail leather bound annual, when I came across a rather venomous critique of a sitcom thing written by young Ben. I assume this critic had been on some comedy course, based on the way he threw in such utterings as: set-up; reveal; edgy; dark; and was now some kind of comedic genius. The resultant effect of this read lead me to view this sitcom; entitled 'The Wright Way'. Well; I laughed so hard, I shat myself.
I think Young Ben has written another winner, I have since read and enjoyed all of his novels and will be shortly addressing my tailor regarding measurement for various shiny suits. But you know best of all, Ben produces a marvellous rice pudding.

Quote: SMOS @ April 28 2013, 12:29 PM BST

I assume this critic had been on some comedy course, based on the way he threw in such utterings as: set-up; reveal; edgy; dark; and was now some kind of comedic genius.

I have not been on a course - is it okay for me to dislike it?

You mean to tell me there are actually courses you should attend to dislike stuff?

Quote: SMOS @ April 28 2013, 1:07 PM BST

You mean to tell me there are actually courses you should attend to dislike stuff?

Oh, yes. Much like antibiotics, a week is usually suffice.

Come on folks, can we get beyond 15 pages before the second episode airs? I don't think even Big Top managed that!

This show based on the first episode wasn't that awful. It reminds me of a time when comedy was a bit more simple and reminds me of Ben's older stuff. Though a lot of the writing for episode one seems to be rehashed. I enjoyed watching and will keep watching. Where were all you haters when that dreadful "Cuckoo" was airing, that was truly appalling? Poor Greg and the rest of the cast having to carry that abhorrent Andy Samberg.

Quote: Jezzer @ April 29 2013, 6:25 PM BST

Where were all you haters when that dreadful "Cuckoo" was airing, that was truly appalling?

They were posting in the "Cuckoo"-thread.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 29 2013, 6:27 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 29 2013, 6:27 PM BST

Good one! I meant why weren't there more people complaining? It got a second series, I'm still scratching my head.

Quote: Jezzer @ April 29 2013, 8:27 PM BST

Good one! I meant why weren't there more people complaining? It got a second series, I'm still scratching my head.

Because they didn't agree with you. And have you tried Head and Shoulders?

Quote: Jezzer @ April 29 2013, 6:25 PM BST

Where were all you haters when that dreadful "Cuckoo" was airing,

One flew over the Cuckoo's thread.