Derek - Series 1 Page 19

An second series of Derek has been commissioned by channel 4 for next year.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001071/channel_4_recommission_ricky_gervais_derek_series/

I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but it was really good.

Those who don't like it probably have no experience of their lives being tough in any sense, so they can't relate.

Hurray for a new series of Derek. I've never been a great fan of Ricky Gervais - and understand he has a Marmite quality but his talent cannot be denied. Derek the series is brave, poignant and funny but more importantly is actually saying something, which is rare in TV comedy. When you consider the sheer amateurish rubbish such as Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys hitting the over 6m mark it is depressing to think that this Ch4 comedy is less appreciated. It's little surprise that the writing is informed by Gervais' personal, family connections as domestic workers in Residential Homes.

Why criticise such a brave show because it might not be totally authentic? Was Friends truly evocative of flat sharers in New York? No, even the size of the flat was exaggerated. Derek is a comedy not a fly on the wall doc from Panorama. It is unique and brave. Gervais has written it with compassion and demonstrating his brilliance for laughs that don't rely on gags.
It's a comedy that says so much about how people, the old, are treated in society and by the state and for that should be applauded. As Gervais has personal experience of residential homes through his family I assume like any good writer and stand-up he is presenting some real life issues and incidents.
The episode showing the callousness of bean counters in the welfare state affecting the home was gut wrenching - and yet still managed to elicit laughs. Having worked myself in an old people's home as a voluntary domestic in my youth I can assure anyone his presentation is spot on - at least in the workers' dedication. I was actually dismissed for racing wheelchair bound geriatrics around the building. So in real life such daft things can happen, even in a residential home. Congrats on a well deserved re-commission.

Hello Ricky, nice of you to join us. Could you write something funny for the next series please?

Quote: enigmatic @ March 4 2013, 7:39 PM GMT

Hello Ricky, nice of you to join us. Could you write something funny for the next series please?

:D

Quote: Gaffer @ March 4 2013, 7:28 PM GMT

Derek is a comedy not a fly on the wall doc from Panorama.

But it purports to be exactly that, stylistically.

As Gervais has personal experience of residential homes through his family I assume

Yes, says it all really.

Any modern care facility run like that would probably get shut down. There are certain legal requirements that are not covered by one member of care team. It can't be a cheesy 80s sitcom where the setup is too convenient and also a mockumentary at the same time.

It's a comedy that says so much about how people, the old are treated in society and the state and for that should be applauded.

Hmm? I've seen mercifully little of Derek, but from what I did see, the elderly are just window dressing. They don't do anything. If he really gives that much of a shit, he's not expressing it well through his writing.

Despite checking this thread I quite enjoyed it
I couldn't bear to watch at first so I saved them up & watched them 3 at a time.

Wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, & made me laugh a good few times.

Quote: MCharsley @ March 4 2013, 8:45 PM GMT

I've seen mercifully little of Derek

Thank you for your educated opinion despite not having watched it. ;)

Oh I've watched a few minutes too many, zooo...

Quote: Aaron @ March 4 2013, 8:00 PM GMT

But it purports to be exactly that, stylistically.

Really? A Panorama style documentary?

I'm glad it's coming back if only because it annoys so many people.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 4 2013, 10:22 PM GMT

I'm glad it's coming back if only because it annoys so many people.

That's your answer to everything

indeed it maybe your raison d'etre