The Sitcom Mission 2013 Page 3

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ January 31 2013, 1:44 PM GMT

Hello Lazzard, I wasn't for one minute suggesting it was a rip off, I just don't know enough about the industry.
To date I have steered clear of people asking for dough up front regardless of the amount.

I tend to agree - nearly all the screenwriting ones are just schemes for sucking cash from wannabe's.
This comp is good - if you're going to dip your toe, this might be a good one to dip it in.
Doesn't promise the earth, but doesn't cost the earth and people who know what they're talking about.
Plus IMHO this years format is way better - the whole stage-play thing was like trying to play the piano with boxing gloves on!

Quote: Lazzard @ January 31 2013, 1:39 PM GMT

Entrance is cheap.
Feedback even cheaper - the notes I received last year were of a good quality.
12% as a producers/finders fee is pretty reasonable, too.

As comps go, it would be hard to put this in the 'rip-off' category.

I'm working on the assumption the 12.5% finders fee is for scripts derived from those that actually reach the development/performance stage (which would seem quite reasonable) and not all entrants irrespective of whether they got anything more than a no.

This appears to be what the t&c implies but confirmation would be helpful.

Would be a shame for first-round failures only able to feed their kids because they got a couple of sketches on Newsjack to have to surrender a portion of that meagre pie.

So. Simon. How many people have asked you what it's like to be directed by Ricky Gervais?

P.S What's it like to be directed by Ricky Gervais?

Quote: enigmatic @ January 31 2013, 7:28 PM GMT

I'm working on the assumption the 12.5% finders fee is for scripts derived from those that actually reach the development/performance stage (which would seem quite reasonable) and not all entrants irrespective of whether they got anything more than a no.

This appears to be what the t&c implies but confirmation would be helpful.

Would be a shame for first-round failures only able to feed their kids because they got a couple of sketches on Newsjack to have to surrender a portion of that meagre pie.

Hi enigmatic

Rule 10 states: "This agreement will expire on the date 18 months from the date of the show's performance at the Sitcom Mission industry showcase."

So it only applies to the four scripts that will be showcased.

Quote: richiemoomoo @ January 31 2013, 8:16 PM GMT

So. Simon. How many people have asked you what it's like to be directed by Ricky Gervais?

P.S What's it like to be directed by Ricky Gervais?

IBest telly experience I've ever had. Ricky Gervais wasn't at all precious about his script, and was very open to improv and taking ideas from the actors. His method was very like Larry David's on Curb. Couldn't have enjoyed it more.

I had two days on it, and spent them thinking: 'why isn't it always this much fun?'

Hi Simon and Declan.

Just to clear up, entered sitcoms no longer have to be written for stage. Yep. Got that.
But what about the showcase for the four finalists? Will that be staged?
So the question is, would finalists then have to write a new episode of said sitcom, specifically for the stage?

Quote: Lazzard @ January 31 2013, 2:33 PM GMT

like trying to play the piano with boxing gloves on!

I can still knock out a few tunes.

Considering the new format, would you prefer scripts written for the radio?

Hi guys

We're planning to do the industry showcase as a rehearsed reading, so we'll have a script reader for stage directions. We're no longer worried about which medium you're writing for, more about whether the characters are bold and interesting, it's got series potential and whether or not it's funny.

We'll be working with the eight long listed writers and four short listed writers, so what you send us won't be the finished product anyway.

Quote: Declan @ February 1 2013, 10:09 PM GMT

Hi guys

We're planning to do the industry showcase as a rehearsed reading, so we'll have a script reader for stage directions. We're no longer worried about which medium you're writing for, more about whether the characters are bold and interesting, it's got series potential and whether or not it's funny.

We'll be working with the eight long listed writers and four short listed writers, so what you send us won't be the finished product anyway.

Declan's point about working with the long and shortlisted writers is absolutely central to our new approach.

We don't want to put something in front of commissioners and production companies until it's as good as it possibly can be.

We've come to believe that simply taking a script and staging it usually (though not always) means short-changing the writer. We don't want to stage scripts because they are the best of the bunch that was sent to us, we want to stage scripts that are the best they can be.

I take it you guys won't be offering the pre-deadline feedback this time?

It's good to see The Sitcom Mission back in the ring and ready to start punching again. I will definitely be taking a punt.

I'm also looking forward to this thread - it's bound to be an interesting read. Although I am slightly disappointed so far - still no questions about font size. That has got to be a record.

Quote: michael b @ February 3 2013, 12:55 PM GMT

It's good to see The Sitcom Mission back in the ring and ready to start punching again. I will definitely be taking a punt.

I'm also looking forward to this thread - it's bound to be an interesting read. Although I am slightly disappointed so far - still no questions about font size. That has got to be a record.

What's a font?

I have a question about font size.

Should it be this big?

Or this big?

Mikey: I think they're both too big. Remember, the scripts have to be delivered by Courier.