The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 80

Evan, can you provide examples?

For unbelievably thick characters, I'd go with Issy Suttie's Kiki in Whites.

"No character-less characters"

ie. funny though Miranda and the main cast are, the 'additional characters' (including her new boyfriend) are absolutely nothing in terms of character, just walls to bounce jokes off.

Dan

- Make a good ensemble sitcom
Nearly all our sitcoms are based around a few lead characters but some great US sitcoms have lots of lead characters e.g. Community, Modern Family & Arrested Development. Can we do one please. And make it good.

Ok that's not a rule and totally impractical for Sitcom Mission but I wanted to get it off my chest.

Haha someone beat me to mentioning Miranda. :D

Quote: StephenM @ January 22 2013, 1:37 PM GMT

Nearly all our sitcoms are based around a few lead characters but some great US sitcoms have lots of lead characters e.g. Community, Modern Family & Arrested Development.

Modern Family, Community and Arrested Development. Three brilliant examples.

Has anybody read the pilot for Community? Read the first scene. Stunning exposition that is also laugh out loud funny.

We get sent so many scripts by writers who think that funny has to come after exposition rather than co-existing. In other words 'now that I've established who/what/where I'm going to make you laugh.'

There's a danger that the poor old reader (I'm all three) won't get that far.

In fact, make an 'American' sitcom. So many of the Sitcom Trials entries I read feel very 'British'. Why don't we have a go at the type of humour that is leading sitcom over the last decade?

Dan

Have a plot. Too much standing around nattering is dull. Start here. End somewhere waaaaaaaaaaaay over there.

Ensure that page one has three times where the audience can laugh. Straight in there. No messing.

Quote: simon wright @ January 22 2013, 10:53 AM GMT

As we all know Seinfeld had the 'no hugging, no learning' rule.

If you were to create a manifesto for a modern British sitcom what would the rules be?

I want 10 rules by close of play today. Keep the pen moving...

Tough one. Every rule I can think of has been broken and quite often made for some great comedy. I guess my rule is "Screw the rules!!" *

* Rules and guidelines of The Sitcom Mission and its parent organisation DeathCorp must be adhered to at all times.

- Don't underestimate the intelligence/attention span of the audience.

Make sure your dialogue is smart rather than obvious/basic.
Smart british TV comedy seems to be dying. Miranda, Mrs Brown and co may have their own charm but it's very basic, obvious humour. Have smart, sparky, verbose exchanges. Have your characters bouncing off each other from line one, and don't waste a word.

Quote: StephenM @ January 22 2013, 1:37 PM GMT

Yes!

Quote: simon wright @ January 22 2013, 5:12 PM GMT

Has anybody read the pilot for Community? Read the first scene. Stunning exposition that is also laugh out loud funny.

We get sent so many scripts by writers who think that funny has to come after exposition rather than co-existing. In other words 'now that I've established who/what/where I'm going to make you laugh.'

There's a danger that the poor old reader (I'm all three) won't get that far.

I haven't read that is there anywhere you can read it online? (Is it similar to the actual episode 1 introduction by the Dean?) Community for me is the near perfect sitcom so very keen to see any scripts for it if available.

Quote: swerytd @ January 22 2013, 5:49 PM GMT

In fact, make an 'American' sitcom. So many of the Sitcom Trials entries I read feel very 'British'. Why don't we have a go at the type of humour that is leading sitcom over the last decade?

Dan

That is my aim if I ever manage to get round to writing it. Used to look down on American sitcoms but there are some superb ones out there now, much better than anything on UK TV in my opinion.

Quote: Feeoree @ January 22 2013, 9:56 PM GMT

Make sure your dialogue is smart rather than obvious/basic.
Smart british TV comedy seems to be dying. Miranda, Mrs Brown and co may have their own charm but it's very basic, obvious humour. Have smart, sparky, verbose exchanges. Have your characters bouncing off each other from line one, and don't waste a word.

I think Dave Cohen wrote a blog post on this a few days ago but there is a problem with using sitcoms you like to make the rules - are they the ones that are successful. There's no denying that Miranda and Mrs Brown Boys are the most popular sitcoms on TV at the moment despite them not being that loved on this forum. But yet if I wanted to write a sitcom the most people would watch these should be the ones I'm aspiring too. And two of the American ones I love (Community & Arrested Development) have been axed or being slowly killed off.

I guess that makes rule 2 - a sitcom you (and other writers) like is not guaranteed to be successful

And rule 3 is
- ignore your opinions and write to brief
- or ignore the popular vote and write what you think is funny.

Quote: swerytd @ January 22 2013, 5:49 PM GMT

Dan

It's what I've been trying to do all along. With varying degrees of success.

For the Community pilot (and much, much more) go to Simply Scripts. Here's a link to Community which has four or five episodes.

http://www.zen134237.zen.co.uk/Community/

Another rule: The humour must arise from the characters and the situations they are in. That is, not from sticking jokes into people's mouths for no reason.

I realise now that perhaps my comments on rules are more directed at scripts I've read rather than shows on TV, because I only watch the good stuff.

Quote: simon wright @ January 23 2013, 9:17 AM GMT

For the Community pilot (and much, much more) go to Simply Scripts. Here's a link to Community which has four or five episodes.

http://www.zen134237.zen.co.uk/Community/

Cheers Simon.

And yes that introduction is fantastic, alo sets up the character of the Dean quite nicely!