The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 78

Quote: mackness @ June 20 2012, 4:22 PM BST

Just wanted to apologise - I have to pull out at the last minute (as the Bishop said to the actress) from tonight's get together at The Priory Arms.
Sadly, having both a full time job and sporadic freelance writing work leaves me prone to last minute cancellations.
Hopefully another script can be read at this late stage and I hope to make the next one.

Was your script due to be read then?

Thanks to everyone who came last night, we had a perfectly-formed round table of writers and actors. Sorry I had to shoot off early.

We were treated to first reads of Living With Comedy by Roisin Rae, The Thrift Collection by Graeme Knowles and The Museum by Simon Mackness (sorry you couldn't make it).

Hopefully everybody enjoyed the experience, there was some very good feedback from around the table and I hope it was useful.

If people are up for it, we'll make it a regular thing.

I thought the scripts were going to be picked randomly on the night?

Quote: Declan @ June 21 2012, 10:17 AM BST

Thanks to everyone who came last night, we had a perfectly-formed round table of writers and actors. Sorry I had to shoot off early.

We were treated to first reads of Living With Comedy by Roisin Rae, The Thrift Collection by Graeme Knowles and The Museum by Simon Mackness (sorry you couldn't make it).

Hopefully everybody enjoyed the experience, there was some very good feedback from around the table and I hope it was useful.

If people are up for it, we'll make it a regular thing.

Yep, really enjoyed it. Useful even though I didn't submit work myself. Would certainly recommend it.

Also good to meet some fellow writers.

Could've done without the midnight train to Cambridge though. Five hours sleep is really not enough.

I'd appreciate any comments on my sitcom 'The Museum'
It was 20 pages lifted from a 60 page first draft.
The idea is to develop the character of Jason to be the protagonist -- a high flying web developer from the city plonked into a sleepy seaside Museum stuck in the past. He had to leave his job for some mysterious reason perhaps.
It's a 'fish out of water' scenario I suppose with a dysfunctional family of strange characters.
Anyone who was there, your comments would be very welcome.

I enjoyed this. nice to meet a few other writers and to hear mine and other folks stuff read out.

Thanks to Simon and Declan for sorting it, and to Declan for leaving early ;)

I'd be up for it as a regular thing, even at £5 per pint! Crits seemed fair and the atmos was supportive.

Quote: Marc P @ June 21 2012, 10:20 AM BST

I thought the scripts were going to be picked randomly on the night?

I think they were picked randomly before the night to give the actors a day or two to look at them so they had a fair chance. To be honest there were not a lot of people there who had submitted so I don't know how many there were to choose from.

Quote: mackness @ June 21 2012, 10:55 AM BST

I'd appreciate any comments on my sitcom 'The Museum'
It was 20 pages lifted from a 60 page first draft.
The idea is to develop the character of Jason to be the protagonist -- a high flying web developer from the city plonked into a sleepy seaside Museum stuck in the past. He had to leave his job for some mysterious reason perhaps.
It's a 'fish out of water' scenario I suppose with a dysfunctional family of strange characters.
Anyone who was there, your comments would be very welcome.

I'll PM you with my recollection of the comments around the table unless Si/Dec have something more comprehensive to offer?

I'ad appreciate that, thank you.

Useful and (eventually, after the criticism stopped..)fun evening. thanks to all for your thoughts, as soon as my hangover clears I'll start redrafting...

Quote: Rosh @ June 21 2012, 2:12 PM BST

Useful and (eventually, after the criticism stopped..)fun evening. thanks to all for your thoughts, as soon as my hangover clears I'll start redrafting...

Sorry! I talk too much.

Quote: Stevie D @ June 21 2012, 3:54 PM BST

Sorry! I talk too much.

No, no, that was the fun bit...

Simon, random question: did I just see you as a driving instructor in a BBC Olympics advert? :O

Quote: richiemoomoo @ August 11 2012, 5:09 PM BST

Simon, random question: did I just see you as a driving instructor in a BBC Olympics advert? :O

Yes. Filmed it ages ago. Haven't seen it myself..

Hello everyone

Hope you're all well.

We've got a couple of places available for a sitcom-writing workshop we're doing this Sunday in Cambridge. If you've got a sitcom you've been working on, or even a rough idea and want to workshop it, then email us at info@sitcommission.com for further details. The cost is £50 for the day.

This was a great workshop, thanks Declan and Simon. Learnt loads and would it recommend it to anyone wanting advice and help with their script.

Any news on The Mission in 2013? Huh?