Doctor Who... Page 900

Torchwood was kak watched a couple, hate Barrowman anyway, always think when that cheesy grin appears he is about to break into song, still I suppose that is quite scary

Children of Earth was good.

The rest was awful.

Even the episode with James Masterson how do you f**k that up?

It was so bad it was almost comforting.

Quote: sootyj @ November 8 2012, 11:07 PM GMT

And what the old series hit rate?

If you look at all of the criticisms levelled at old Who - bad direction, static camera work, laughable special effects, rubber masked monsters, wobbly sets, etc. - they've all been addressed.

Ergo, the success rate of New Who should be in the ninetieth percentile. The only reason it's not is the poor storytelling.

Or an impossible remit; a kind friendly adult oriented, family friendly, darkly horrific show in which nobody ever dies or gets badly injured, in which half of the universe is gay (inlcuding f**king horses and probably chairs), but no body ever has sex, except they're all in monogamous couples, except the dr who's not some creepy loner space nonce.

Concot a good story out of that mess. Old Who had no sex, so no problems with it, lashings of violence, assisstants getting beaten up and killed left right and centre and lashings of genocide.
Make a story out of that, it's a piece of piss.

Hence I suspect roughly similar hit rates.

I'd like to see a reboot of Adam Adamant lives! or Saphire and Steel, but they would probably turn out like Reeves and Mortimer in Randall and Hopkirk Sick

The hit rate is about the same, although I think Pertwee had the highest hit rate, but I'm biased

Quote: sootyj @ November 8 2012, 11:19 PM GMT

Or an impossible remit; a kind friendly adult oriented, family friendly, darkly horrific show in which nobody ever dies or gets badly injured, in which half of the universe is gay (inlcuding f**king horses and probably chairs), but no body ever has sex, except they're all in monogamous couples, except the dr who's not some creepy loner space nonce.

Concot a good story out of that mess. Old Who had no sex, so no problems with it, lashings of violence, assisstants getting beaten up and killed left right and centre and lashings of genocide.
Make a story out of that, it's a piece of piss.

Hence I suspect roughly similar hit rates.

Bring back Eric Saward

Oh and Who has conversley got the problem that it's the uber budgetted super battleship of the BBC attack fleet.
But it's fx budget is a fraction of it's rivals.

Quote: sootyj @ November 8 2012, 11:19 PM GMT

ST:TNG managed it.

Quote: Pingl @ November 8 2012, 11:20 PM GMT

I'd like to see a reboot of Adam Adamant lives! or Saphire and Steel, but they would probably turn out like Reeves and Mortimer in Randall and Hopkirk Sick

The hit rate is about the same, although I think Pertwee had the highest hit rate, but I'm biased

Pertwee was like the professionals of scifi, 3 rounds rapid!, kick that Silurian in the space bollocks Benton!, lets ram that f**king Dalek with Bessy!

Great fun.

Now I'd like to see Doomwatch come back.

Albeit Saphire and Steel with Vic Reeves and Ulrika Johnson and maybe Bob Mortimer as Lead.

Quote: sootyj @ November 8 2012, 11:21 PM GMT

But it's fx budget is a fraction of it's rivals.

Well yes and no - the cost of producing CGI has gone way, way down. The BBC made a massive investment in computers and software and even created piss poor comedy sketch shows (The Back Door or whatever the hell is was called) to show off their technological investment.

You don't need great fx to tell a decent story.

I think eeven the 5th doctor had some real highlights. Enlightment was one of the best who stories even made. Kinda and Eathshock where good too

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 8 2012, 11:23 PM GMT

ST:TNG managed it.

Do you know here's a rare thing, I completely concede.

STNG has been repeated endlessly on the cable channels and yet I can always watch Worf kebbabing some traitorous Klingon whilst all the other Klingons shout, or Picard bitch slapping Wesley, or just crying in a field with his brother because he couldn't stop the Borg.

STNG is probably one of the classiest scifi shows of all time. Which is odd as it was also the most pc.

Give Patrick Stewart a knighthood it was nothing without him

Doomwatch would be good. But beware what you wish for remember the lesson of the Survivors.

Quote: Badhead @ November 8 2012, 11:26 PM GMT

I think eeven the 5th doctor had some real highlights. Enlightment was one of the best who stories even made. Kinda and Eathshock where good too

Earthshock that is how to get rid of a companion

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 8 2012, 11:26 PM GMT

Well yes and no - the cost of producing CGI has gone way, way down. The BBC made a massive investment in computers and software and even created piss poor comedy sketch shows (The Back Door or whatever the hell is was called) to show off their technological investment.

You don't need great fx to tell a decent story.

I mean it's compared perhaps unfairly to shows like Enterprise. Which can have massive space fleets slugging it out, with 5 diferent fully realised CGI alien races.

Whilst Dr Who is still sticking helmets with masks on half the aliens. Because prosthetic masks are expensive and some one's still got to feed Will Iam's his diamond filled M&ms.

That it still outperforms most of it's rivals on a regular basis is impressive (well except the last 2 series of Pond Life)

Quote: Pingl @ November 8 2012, 11:27 PM GMT

Doomwatch would be good. But beware what you wish for remember the lesson of the Survivors.

With the excpetion of the ridiculous effects Doomwatch was probably better than the Xfiles.

That said it had an awful channel 5 remake.

Quote: sootyj @ November 8 2012, 11:26 PM GMT

STNG is probably one of the classiest scifi shows of all time. Which is odd as it was also the most pc.

It's biggest let down was the inclusion of crap characters that no one cared about - Geordie, Ryker, Troy, O'Brien, etc. Though Troy had a great episode in 'Face Of The Enemy'.

And a 'ship's counsellor' was just pandering to the trend of everyone in LA having personal therapists at the time.