Doctor Who... Page 897

Quote: Ben @ November 7 2012, 9:52 PM GMT

The one with Sil. I've heard its one of Colin Baker's best.

It's great. And dark. I probably prefer Baker's Dalek one though. Which was also dark and weird.

I remember rather liking his one with the Daleks pinching corpses and Alexie Sayle was a DJ who killed Daleks with rock and roll.

Vengance on Varos is a half arsed attempt to do a comentary on TV which was just really cheap and ugly.

I kinda remember liking it as a kid and rewatching it on Virgin and it just being one big meh.

Revelation of the Daleks was a mess. Absolutely, terrible.

It might be easier if you just listed all the things you DO like, Charlie. ;) (Please don't actually do that)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 8 2012, 11:32 AM GMT

It might be easier if you just listed all the things you DO like, Charlie. ;) (Please don't actually do that)

Sounds like a challenge to me .....

Basically, nearly every episode until Hinchcliffe left, then it gets a bit patchy. Obviously, there are some dodgy episodes in there, such as Keys of Marinus(great idea - no budget), The Krotons, The Space Pirates, The Time Monster, Revenge of the Cybermen. But, some of the very best in British Drama - Inferno, Ambassadors of Death, Power of the Daleks (audio only !!!!), and plenty others.

Thanks CB for giving the most accurate example of Dr Who nostalgia.

Almost all of us remember our Dr as the best and it's quite a Proustian thing. Lost in memory and growing up, sepia shading out all the faults.

The Krotons were little more than one of the early "proto Daleks" faceless robot death machines, like the War Machines et al. It's not a bad episode but not anyone's idea truly of a classic. I rather like it as at focussed on Jamie as one of the best "fighty" assisstants.

But all the seasons had their strengths and faults. I'm growing rather fond of Pertwee's earth based, UNIT capers. Where due mainly to budgetary requirements he became a scientific adviser in a military organisation. And the whole thing became like the Professionals with a scifi edge.

But was it any better than Peter Davidsons philosopher in space. Or Christopher Ecclestone's angry, refugee Dr.

I actually really like Ecclestone and Hartnells grumpy old git Dr. As both were essentially new characters in new shows, they were rather more daring than one would at first believe. Hartnells was actually incredibly fearless once it got going; rogue timelords, a whole slate of characters set upto to be killed off. Makes new Who look quite pallid.

So along with the faults in all eras there are definite strengths. Just don't get lost in your own memories.

I hate everything about NuWho!

Which is a shame.

But I suppose at heart New Who is a completely diferent animal. Though comparatively poorly funded against US rivals it must be one of the richly funded of the current UK shows. And rather than ever Saturday bar Christmas it's a dozen episodes a year. And rather than 5-10 week serial usually standalones.

So it's hard to compare on anything other than on a visceral level. Which you are doing. Because by any measure New Who is massively better. Cheap costumes, poor extras stories stretched into the dozen episodes at the cost of any tension or drama were all old Who's demise.

It's not with out good reason no other show went for such a numbing structure. Check out how the whole of STNGs Borg saga takes place in 3 compact episodes. Except maybe Buffy but old Who could only dream of having a writer of Josh Whedon's calibre.

Old Who has it's charms but they're diferent. You might want to drive a little old MG for a summers jaunt, but not as your every day car/

Quote: sootyj @ November 8 2012, 12:43 PM GMT

Because by any measure New Who is massively better.

How so?
Poorer scripts! Story arcs that have no proper beginning, middle and end! Unanswered questions! Pantomime aliens in the form of A flying Master, or farting aliens! Stunt casting (Why the hell was June Whitfield and Annette Crosbie cast in tiny parts?)

Series 7 part 1 was a joke.

I'll leave you to enjoy your proustean Madeline I'll stick with awesomely tight writing confidence and an absence of gravel pits

Granted certainly the last 2 season have had plenty o sickly sweet stinkers but the charm of who has been its uneven texture

Quote: sootyj @ November 8 2012, 12:31 PM GMT

So along with the faults in all eras there are definite strengths. Just don't get lost in your own memories.

I hadn't seen a black and white DW until 1983. I have nearly all the Classic's on DVD.

Nothing to do with memories, the classic series is better than NuWho.

I have the DVD box set of the BBC Quatermass series. I had never seen the TV version of Quatermass and the Pit(1958/59), until I bought the DVD a couple of years ago. I say its one of the best TV programmes ever made. So its got nothing to do with memories or nostalgia. Its about quality television.

Trough ton was excellent Dr hampered by 60s parsimoy at the BBC

Trough ton was excellent Dr hampered by 60s parsimoy at the BBC

Quote: Charlie Boy @ November 8 2012, 7:00 PM GMT

I hadn't seen a black and white DW until 1983. I have nearly all the Classic's on DVD.

Nothing to do with memories, the classic series is better than NuWho.

I have the DVD box set of the BBC Quatermass series. I had never seen the TV version of Quatermass and the Pit(1958/59), until I bought the DVD a couple of years ago. I say its one of the best TV programmes ever made. So its got nothing to do with memories or nostalgia. Its about quality television.

Ah now on that we can guarantee quatermass 1984 a for Andromeda 50s and 60s BBC SciFi could be awesome

Quote: sootyj @ November 8 2012, 6:59 PM GMT

I'll leave you to enjoy your proustean Madeline I'll stick with awesomely tight writing confidence and an absence of gravel pits

Granted certainly the last 2 season have had plenty o sickly sweet stinkers but the charm of who has been its uneven texture

As I have stated before, its nothing to do with memory. They are all(most) on DVD!

Takes all kinds to make a world.

Given the choice between classic Quatermass and Outer Limits vs new Who its a challenge for me. Same goes for the better classic Who.

But The Drs Wife, Dalek or Turn Left take some beating.

Revelation of the Daleks is a great episode of Who and shows what Colin Baker could have done with some decent scripts.