Doctor Who... Page 888

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 1 2012, 12:59 AM BST

why the Tardis... might need a repaint.

That was pitiful along with the whole "husband & wife" schtick.

I thought - as a piece of drama (that's what it is according to the trails) this hung together well - quite moving in parts.
BUT it was about Amy & Rory, and it only worked because so much of the recent output has been about Amy & Rory
And that's not why I watch Dr Who.
Once again, the Sci-Fi element was very much the poor relation to 'Pond Life' - to the point that they played fast and loose with existing 'monsters' and the 'rules' set up in previous episodes, as well as allowing various plot holes to go unchallenged.

From the teaser it looks like we're in for "Tipping the Velvet" with aliens this Crimbo.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 1 2012, 9:58 AM BST

That was pitiful

Someone saying the Tardis needs a paint is 'pitiful'?! Never let it be said that people go over the top in their criticisms of Doctor Who! :P

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 1 2012, 10:02 AM BST

Someone saying the Tardis needs a paint is 'pitiful'?! Never let it be said that people go over the top in their criticisms of Doctor Who! :P

Maybe.
:D
But I think if I'd been in the room when that was suggested I might have said something similar.
It's a tiny, tiny joke that barely raises a laugh but undermines the entire mythology of the Tardis, and as such is an indulgence by the writers.

I think if people didn't care so much, they wouldn't give it such a hard time.

I like that it managed to do it all in 45 minutes. Sure, there were massive holes in the plot, and the denouncement didn't make a massive amount of sense, but I'm glad they could do it all in 45 minutes.

Quote: chipolata @ October 1 2012, 10:27 AM BST

I like that it managed to do it all in 45 minutes.

Agreed - it was well constructed - the best yet, I think.

I see the Christmas special is set in Victorian times again!!! Dr Who doesn't seem very interested in ancient history, why doesn't he go back in time and wish Jesus happy birthday, it would be polite.

Quote: Pingl @ October 1 2012, 12:36 PM BST

I see the Christmas special is set in Victorian times again!!! Dr Who doesn't seem very interested in ancient history, why doesn't he go back in time and wish Jesus happy birthday, it would be polite.

It would be expensive.
And they'd end up filming it in Cardiff.
Which wouldn't look right.

Quote: chipolata @ October 1 2012, 12:42 PM BST

It would be expensive.
And they'd end up filming it in Cardiff.
Which wouldn't look right.

Oh I don't know the old sand pit could double as anything.

Quote: Pingl @ October 1 2012, 12:36 PM BST

I see the Christmas special is set in Victorian times again!!!

Yep Victorian times and World War 2 are always in vogue in the Doctor Who script writing offices. You see, a lot of the writers are told to come up with a Christmas theme and because they can't burn down the Queen Vic pub in Eastenders, they soon run out of ideas and pull the most obviously contrite crap out of their collective bum rings.

Plus, if you set it before Victorian times, you can't have Christmas trees and Santa and all the other guff that let's the thick audience know it's bleeding Christmas.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 1 2012, 6:30 PM BST

Yep Victorian times and World War 2 are always in vogue in the Doctor Who script writing offices. You see, a lot of the writers are told to come up with a Christmas theme and because they can't burn down the Queen Vic pub in Eastenders, they soon run out of ideas and pull the most obviously contrite crap out of their collective bum rings.

Plus, if you set it before Victorian times, you can't have Christmas trees and Santa and all the other guff that let's the thick audience know it's bleeding Christmas.

I know. I like my idea Dr Who of Nazareth, in which dr who saves the baby Jesus from Herod using only his sonic screwdriver, some frankincense and a headdress. It's Christmassy but not too much, I mean who equates Christmas with Jesus now!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 1 2012, 6:30 PM BST

Not to trip up your rant, but, of course, strictly speaking, we've yet to see a Christmas special set in Victorian times. And we've only had one set during the war. Carry on.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 1 2012, 6:44 PM BST

Not to trip up your rant, but, of course, strictly speaking, we've yet to see a Christmas special set in Victorian times. And we've only had one set during the war. Carry on.

wasn't that cyberman one set in Victorian times - with the nutter who thought he was doctor two

Quote: Pingl @ October 1 2012, 6:46 PM BST

wasn't that cyberman one set in Victorian times - with the nutter who thought he was doctor two

Oh balls, so it was, thought that was just a normal episode. Still, that's only one episode, and it was four years ago.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 1 2012, 6:44 PM BST

I'm counting A Christmas Carol in there as well, even though it was set on another planet that looked exactly like Earth in Victorian times.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 1 2012, 6:52 PM BST

I'm counting A Christmas Carol in there as well, even though it was set on another planet that looked exactly like Earth in Victorian times.

Count it, but it wasn't set then, so wrong! Neer-!

I've quite liked the setting of the last few, it does give a nice short cut to a Christmassy feel.