Doctor Who... Page 892

Quote: zooo @ October 24 2012, 9:09 PM BST

John Simm's Master was f**king brilliant.

That.

Quote: Pingl @ October 24 2012, 9:42 PM BST

I must admit I thought that, Jacobi* displayed sinister in a beautifully underplayed way

That.

Quote: sootyj @ October 24 2012, 9:48 PM BST

I mean the Master as Harold Saxon a kind of super evil Tony Blair was rather good when he was killing his cabinet and dancing to the scissor sisters. But it was a short lived charm that was overplayed to the point of being f**king annoying when he turned into a sort of evil Zebedee.

The character was boxed into a corner because how crazy can you go, but that kind of frothing at the mouth is hard to keep going. Delgado played him as the negative of the Doctors positive, but he had a charm, I always remember him when he turned up as the vicar in the Daemons, I don't see how Simm could do that unless they totally rethought his part.

Derek Jacobi, people.

No, no. It's Derickk Jacobbye.

:D

Bloody Jacobites Teary

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ October 24 2012, 8:42 PM BST

But he wants to do an episode with Moffat, who is retiring after this series.

Is he? Who told you that? He's certainly, at least, going past this series and into a 50th anniversary special.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 25 2012, 9:00 AM BST

Is he? Who told you that? He's certainly, at least, going past this series and into a 50th anniversary special.

This is news to me, I've heard nothing of him leaving. When was this announced?

Well, the rumor going around Gallifreybase ages ago was both Matt Smith and Steven Moffat would leave after the 50th anniversay special. So, for series 8 we'd have a new Doctor + showrunner, mostly probably Toby Whithouse.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 25 2012, 9:00 AM BST

I swear I read it on BBC news or something, but if you haven't heard about it that makes me doubt it myself! Actually it might have been an interview with him I read.

Hmmm nothing on his wiki page or a quick Google. Maybe I dreamt it. Good news if he is staying.

I'm in favour of a new Doctor and companion and everything.

(Nothing against current in particular, just ready for something new.)
Although of course it could be awful.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moffat did leave after the 50th anniversary stuff, but if he doesn't I imagine he'll only stick around for one more series after that. I dare say he and Smith will leave at more or less the same time.

Alas Smith and Moffat

Quote: Pingl @ October 24 2012, 9:42 PM BST

I must admit I thought that, Jacoby displayed sinister in a beautifully underplayed way, I'd have much preferred it if he had carried on. I like Simm but it was too much, the Master was always quite mannered and that's what made his madness even more scary.

That was pretty much exactly how I felt. Would loved to have seen more of him as the Master.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ October 24 2012, 8:42 PM BST

Just a point... I'd have thought all of the episodes for series 7 would have been made by now. But he wants to do an episode with Moffat, who is retiring after this series.

There is no evidence to suggest that Moffat is leaving after series 7. He has been quoted as saying that he has already written Smiths regeneration script.
Although, I would be pleased if Moffat did leave. He, and RTD, have destroyed a show I once loved.