Newsjack - Series 7 Page 13

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ September 23 2012, 10:07 PM BST

Does anyone else write several sketches and then panic on Sunday night that they're just not good enough?

I'm the opposite. I think my sketches are great until after I fire them off. It's literally the moment after I press 'send' when the reality begins to dawn.

My problem is I don't know what they're looking for, I put in a few easy jokes as sometimes they like those - and then I think are those too easy, and I put in a few groaners because I think they like those then I think are they too groany - and then I put in some clever jokes that I like and then I think oh God this is terrible. I've focused on strong premises this time round, they just need tightening up.

Quote: Dalekwidow @ September 23 2012, 5:40 PM BST

Very impressed with the first episode so congrats to everyone who managed to make it on! LOVED the Billy Elliot spoof!

Shucks :$

That was was indeed mine. Now to try and replicate that for week 2!

I sent off three sketches last night. I'm happy with the first two - however the third one's a bit of a rush job.

Now onto the one-liners.

Three sketches sent, pretty happy with all of them... hello one-liners!

I'm in the game, I covered Plebgate, George Galloway and John Terry.

I've submitted corrections, jack app and previously on newsjack. Fingers crossed again.

Quote: Alakazam @ September 23 2012, 11:43 AM BST

Since getting something on the show is a novelty for me, I've no idea how representative this is, but here's my submission. I've put the script editor's changes and additions in brackets where I remember them and italicised anything that was cut:
--SNIP--

Thank you very much for that! Interesting (and potentially useful) to see what edits were made.

This week: One submitted but I ran out of time on 2 sketches - I may salvage a one liner or two from them though...

Just one sketch from me today - James Bond supping Heineken rather than Vodka Martinis. Trying to focus but it'll come I'm sure.

Great show last week and sorry to repeat previous points but I also thoroughly enjoyed the Billy Elliot sketch and it's brilliant it came from a BCG forumer.

Sadder and wiser. Dithered putting final touches to sketch. Posted
at, according to 'sent box' 12.02 Monday. No auto response. Assume not accepted?

My brain is just not tuned in this week. Am away for a couple of weeks hence so might not be able to contribute for a while. Good luck to everyone who does!

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ September 23 2012, 10:56 PM BST

My problem is I don't know what they're looking for, I put in a few easy jokes as sometimes they like those - and then I think are those too easy, and I put in a few groaners because I think they like those then I think are they too groany - and then I put in some clever jokes that I like and then I think oh God this is terrible. I've focused on strong premises this time round, they just need tightening up.

As I said to you before I think they do like strong premises in Newsjack. I have also being trying to focus more on the premise of the sketch rather than my usual technique of writing a joke half way down a page and then building a sketch around it!

But (and I speak as a lifelong worrier and obsessive self editor) I think the most important thing can be to relax, remember why you thought they were funny and that you can't control the NJ script eds... they are immune to hypnotism... I can't tell you how I know that... Whistling nnocently

Only sent 5 one liners this week.

I'm slipping!

2 sketches sent, - bates out and norman bettison interview. 3 jack apps, cleggo, cameron yoof and imelda marcos. 1 quickie, channel 4's drugs live.

first time submitter so anticipation level is low.
it is brilliant to be able to read what other people sent in and compare what gets chosen and whats rejected, especially having only ever heard newsjack once.
the writing bug definitely bites hard, first attempt and I was up at 5am typing!

Think have permanently given up on the sketches. Just concentrating on the one liners these days - you've got to know your game. Competition is going to be fierce for Mitchell rant and Abu Hamza, obv. Time to hit the "B" headlines maybe...