Newsjack - Series 7 Page 12

Quote: David Salisbury @ September 21 2012, 6:33 PM BST

You are entirely right. Much as I would love to claim "shins" it wasn't me. (Just reread that last sentence...)

'Shins' was mine, but Dave's sketch was good/better. They changed a couple of lines and added the Queen's muff finale, but the waders line was as I wrote it.

It's the first time I've got something broadcast on Newsjack/anywhere. I didn't think it went down that well, but it was interesting for me to hear the small ways they changed it to make it funnier and more Newsjack-y.

Quote: Ishy @ September 21 2012, 1:37 PM BST

I actually got a one liner on myself last night, although as I didn't get an email confirmation, only found out when I listened to the show on iPlayer.

Which one was yours, Ishy?

Quote: Big Jack @ September 22 2012, 1:47 PM BST

Which one was yours, Ishy?

It was this one

You could say there were three people responsible for my kids being born. Me, my wife and Barry White.

Although they changed the start to give it a bit more context.

It's odd I didn't get an email, given I got an automated response back to say they'd received my stuff. It could explain the lack of 'just missed' emails I had in the previous series though Whistling nnocently

I'd just email them - they're a pretty reasonable bunch.

Can I ask if anyone who got material (especially sketches) onto a show (or recorded but cut) would be okay to share the original submission that they made? Or would any be willing to tell how much material was edited or whether they put in an intro for Justin?

It's all well and good seeing the NJ rejects, but there's part of me that thinks knowing what actually makes the grade is more useful - and just listening to the broadcast doesn't necessarily tell us what was submitted.

I'm guessing that one liners/JackApps/corrections probably don't get edited as much as sketches.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ September 23 2012, 10:19 AM BST

Can I ask if anyone who got material (especially sketches) onto a show (or recorded but cut) would be okay to share the original submission that they made?

Since getting something on the show is a novelty for me, I've no idea how representative this is, but here's my submission. I've put the script editor's changes and additions in brackets where I remember them and italicised anything that was cut:

Prince Albert's Shins

JUSTIN:19th Century listeners are warned to remove their monocles now, as the following report contains graphic euphemisms and repeated use of the word 'shin'.

ATMOS:CRACKLY RECORD.

GROYNE:Wilberforce Groyne, Royal Scandalhound here.

Her Majesty Queen Victoria's visit to the South Seas has been rocked by sensation as Prince Albert's bare shins were photographed while he lounged sockless on the patio. I'm joined by a royal footman who was present when the photographer struck. (What exactly did you see?) Mr Simpleton?

SIMPLETON:Beggin' your pardon, Sir, but it all happened so fast. There was a blinding flash of light, then a voice asking us all to remain motionless for about a minute (twenty minutes), then he was gone.

GROYNE:But was the Prince wrong to go sockless in the first place? Give us your opinion.

SIMPLETON:I'd rather just rotate my hat anxiously in my hands, Sir.

GROYNE:Stout fellow.

Etchings of the Royal Consort's 'front calves' have now appeared in several appallingly foreign publications. Upon seeing the images, three women suffered fits of hysterics and were removed to a home for the sexually (femininely) deranged. One of them joins me now, through a small hole in a door. Abigail Ladygarden, good evening.

ABIGAIL:Good evening.

GROYNE:What was your reaction on seeing the pictures?

ABIGAIL:Good shape (length), but too hairy. 7 out of 10.

GROYNE:Calm yourself madam, or I shall splash Vimto in your face. (I shall put you in a cage and exhibit you at the forthcoming exhibition).

ABIGAIL:I don't see what the fuss is. We've all seen shins before.

GROYNE:I haven't. Mrs Groyne and I wear waders to bed.

ABIGAIL:I think the real question is why the behaviour of an irrelevant member of an outdated institution is of any intere-.

F/XSLIDING DOOR SHUT.

GROYNE:Thank you Ms Ladygarden. (Horrible woman... You're twice as mad as a normal woman, which is very mad indeed - I wish I'd written that bit.)

ABIGAIL:(MUFFLED PROTESTS OFF.)

(GROYNE:Shoot her!)

GROYNE:At home, Buckingham Palace say that any person who has seen the Prince's shins should be dissolved in caustic soda (should be hanged until very dead), in what most have deemed to be an under-reaction. (Next, a piece on winter fashions, with an in-depth look at the Queen's muff.) Meanwhile, a vicar who caught sight of the pictures in a mirror is reported to have vomited his own face off.

Not trying a sketch this week (been making last few edits to Shortlist entry, still have to do the bloody outline), just sending one-liners tomorrow night.

Do people think it is ok to submit a sketch that uses the structure and premise of a famous sketch but refreshes the contents with my own take on a particular story?

I would never want to plagiarise anybodies ideas but the recognition factor of the original sketch would be part of the appeal my sketch.

To paraphrase the bishop's aside to the actress's little brother, it all depends on how well you manage to bring it off...

Sorry I've been away for a while. Got caught off guard with new series of NewsJack - thought it wasn't starting for another couple of weeks. Also, I won't have much time to contribute this series due to being away and stuff. Might try and have a go at least once though.

Very impressed with the first episode so congrats to everyone who managed to make it on! LOVED the Billy Elliot spoof!

Quote: Dalekwidow @ September 23 2012, 5:40 PM BST

Very impressed with the first episode so congrats to everyone who managed to make it on! LOVED the Billy Elliot spoof!

That was my favourite bit too, and if I'm not mistaken it was StephenM's. Well done him, and everyone else successful this episode.

Quote: RobJ @ September 23 2012, 5:27 PM BST

Do people think it is ok to submit a sketch that uses the structure and premise of a famous sketch but refreshes the contents with my own take on a particular story?

I would never want to plagiarise anybodies ideas but the recognition factor of the original sketch would be part of the appeal my sketch.

As long as it's funny and suitable for Newsjack, that's fine. Just make sure it's a sketch that is genuinely famous.

Does anyone else write several sketches and then panic on Sunday night that they're just not good enough?

And are your sketches much better?

?? If I knew they're good I wouldn't be panicking - the ideas are good I'm just not sure they're good enough!