Sending Sitcom to BBC Writersroom Page 6

I think Godot was talking about getting something made, and the process of how scripts are developed.

Quote: Marc P @ August 7 2012, 9:43 AM BST

I think Godot was talking about getting something made, and the process of how scripts are developed.

Fair enough.

I get my kicks out of the writing and the learning. Would love to get something made, but it's so competitive I need another hook.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of writing something I'm proud of - developing characters and feeling like my sitcom world is coming alive. This helps ward off the inevitable disappointment!

I'm sure everyone else loves the writing as well - otherwise why would they be doing this - but most of you are probably more professional and focused than I am!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 30 2012, 5:00 PM BST

Sorry, but why have you written four episodes of an un-commissioned sitcom? Are you in prison? Just write one, outline the other eps and put your energy and ideas into something else.

I have written 6 episodes of my first attempt at a sitcom. purely because it cures my insomnia!
aaaand before the inevitable "how boring IS your sitcom?" replies, its the ideas that keep me awake. a joke appears in my thoughts, turns into a scene, then I am awake all night thinking about the actual wording.
the only way I can sleep is to write it down first. and once I have piles and piles of scenes written down, why not make them into episodes? hence 6 episodes of one sitcom, zero amount of time spent on other projects.

plus, here in HMP Armley its best for a dainty boy like me not to go to sleep for too long or I could end up as the board in the midnight game of arsedarts.

I write a treatment of a whole comedy drama series before I even start scripting the first episode, but that's because I usually write a set of episodes that are interlinked and have an overall start, middle and end...so to speak. I need a major plot for the whole series plus mini plots for each episode, so they each need to have their own start, finish and end. If I don't do a treatment on the whole series, the plots can become disjointed and not tightly interweaved. I need to be able to tinker with the series as a whole before scripting it.

With a sitcom, I might write one full episode and then keep thinking about how to develop the characters long-term...but keeping the episodes fairly separate and punchy. I can see why people would want to script all the episodes in a sitcom series, though. However, if I'm just writing a pilot for a sitcom submission, with a view to developing it if it's taken up, I will only write one episode.

It depends whether you have a passionate vision of a sitcom or whether you're just answering a call for submissions. If that call comes when you're right in the middle of something else, you'd be less inclined to write more than one episode.

I, too, hear great dialogue at night when it's lovely and quiet. If I don't do anything about it, it's usually gone by the morning!!

Great news for you, Matthew. Crossing fingers here.

Quote: Stevie D @ August 7 2012, 9:35 AM BST

I often write, and always plan, more than one episode. Why? Mainly because I enjoy doing it - for me it's not just about getting something made.

Amen, brother. :-)

I actually have several ideas on the go (would gladly swap this for women though) - my series was written over time, and is now resting while I work on something else. Looking forward to that autumn window at the BBC Writersroom already.

All the best

Alan

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ August 9 2012, 12:24 PM BST

Amen, brother. :-)

I actually have several ideas on the go (would gladly swap this for women though) - my series was written over time, and is now resting while I work on something else. Looking forward to that autumn window at the BBC Writersroom already.

All the best

Alan

Hi Alan,

Good to know that somebody else is submitting comedy this autumn. I too am submitting a comedy series to the Writer's room and anticipate the opening window over the next few weeks. I'm close to a "send-able" script but I've yet to write out the series outline.

I have just one issue that somebody might clarify. Due to the nature of my comedy script, I envisage a bigger than usual budget than for a sitcom. Does the Writer's Room look favourably on writers who have at least attempted to keep costs at a minimum?

At the moment, I'm torn between thinking about costs and perhaps destroying the scale of canvas that my script potentially requires. Is this something I should be concerning myself with at this stage? Or should I simply let rip and make my script the best it can be, despite budgetary considerations?

Do whatever shows off your writing skills best.
They're looking for writers , not programming.

Quote: Marc Thompson @ August 19 2012, 11:47 PM BST

Hi Alan,

Good to know that somebody else is submitting comedy this autumn. I too am submitting a comedy series to the Writer's room and anticipate the opening window over the next few weeks. I'm close to a "send-able" script but I've yet to write out the series outline.

I have just one issue that somebody might clarify. Due to the nature of my comedy script, I envisage a bigger than usual budget than for a sitcom. Does the Writer's Room look favourably on writers who have at least attempted to keep costs at a minimum?

At the moment, I'm torn between thinking about costs and perhaps destroying the scale of canvas that my script potentially requires. Is this something I should be concerning myself with at this stage? Or should I simply let rip and make my script the best it can be, despite budgetary considerations?

If you have an amazing idea in your head and you can see it unfolding in a fantastic way...get it out and write it down. If it's a great read and workable, someone will want to take it up I'm sure. If you worry too much about budgets etc, you're running the risk of compromising on quality. Let the professionals worry about that. You just worry about being amazing!

I've got a couple of scripts going on, but I usually have to sit back and let ideas settle into place before I can start writing them down. I don't see it as being lazy...I just can't write what I can't see or hear. I think you know what I mean. <confuses everyone>

Quote: Joyce @ August 20 2012, 2:15 PM BST

If you have an amazing idea in your head and you can see it unfolding in a fantastic way...get it out and write it down. If it's a great read and workable, someone will want to take it up I'm sure. If you worry too much about budgets etc, you're running the risk of compromising on quality. Let the professionals worry about that. You just worry about being amazing!

I've got a couple of scripts going on, but I usually have to sit back and let ideas settle into place before I can start writing them down. I don't see it as being lazy...I just can't write what I can't see or hear. I think you know what I mean. <confuses everyone>

Thank you, Joyce. That's very reassuring to hear. Boy! This will cost someone ;)

Back on the Writer's Room. Does anybody know if they have issues with us sending a script to production companies at the same time. I know they don't like them sent to other BBC departments. But what about external to them? I can't see it as an issue since they're not looking for programmes per se. I see nothing in their FAQs or T & C with regards to this issue.

Quote: Marc Thompson @ August 20 2012, 9:47 PM BST

Thank you, Joyce. That's very reassuring to hear. Boy! This will cost someone ;)

People will read ten pages at most for 99% of the stuff submitted to writers room. Do not for one minute imagine they are looking for nuggets of gold that with work could with advice etc etc be turned into something good. The readers are looking for reasons to reject something - do what you can to not give them any. Sitcoms cost plenty enough as it is. As I said to Carol Vordeman once - you do the math!

Does anybody know if they have issues with us sending a script to production companies at the same time. I

Not a problem.
Mainly 'cos they'll never know.

Quote: Joyce @ August 9 2012, 8:47 AM BST

I

It depends whether you have a passionate vision of a sitcom or whether you're just answering a call for submissions.

I'd say the former is absolutely vital for a potential sitcom's success. You have to really love the idea and the characters yourself before you expect millions of others to. Even then, your chances of success are slim, that's why writing is a tough grind.

Back on the Writer's Room. Does anybody know if they have issues with us sending a script to production companies at the same time. I know they don't like them sent to other BBC departments. But what about external to them? I can't see it as an issue since they're not looking for programmes per se. I see nothing in their FAQs or T & C with regards to this issue.

Yes don't give this a second thought, sending to other prod cos is your main priority, not BBC WR. It's yours so you can send it to as many companies as you like.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 30 2012, 4:25 PM BST

Ta, the first few pages are on my website. It is an old script, haven't touched it in about three years, not even before sending it into the Writersroom.

That's actually a good sign, assuming you read it through again. Means it is probably as good as you can make it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 30 2012, 12:30 PM BST

Seems like I made it past another hurdle in this. Which seems to mean that more people will read and discuss the script I sent. And then I'll either just get feedback, or something else. Not sure what that something else is. Probably a full series commission.

Have you heard anything back from them yet, Matthew?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 26 2012, 10:01 AM BST

Have you heard anything back from them yet, Matthew?

They said I'd hear something by the end of August, so I'm assuming I'll hear next week.

Well, bah; fallen at the last hurdle. Seems the next step was to actively develop writers, and I just missed the cut.

Not disappointed though, the script I sent was old, and the negative they pointed out was something I could agree with and something that I've since improved on in subsequent scripts. I should have sent a script that represented me as a writer now, rather than a more undeveloped me of four years ago, but like many I imagined Writersroom to be a dead end.

So the plus point is that I've been invited to send another script, and I know I have several better than the one that almost made the grade.

SO lessons learned; Writersroom is NOT a dead end, do send something in; and if you do, send your best work that represents you at your finest, not something that represents you at your best four years ago!

Oh, and in my script feedback, they used the word 'Razzmatazz'.

:) I have to say that after two stages I thought the least you'd get was another chance which is what you have, so good luck with that! And yes it's good for us all to get confirmation that WR's not a black hole for scripts. Interesting feedback Matthew.