Sending Sitcom to BBC Writersroom Page 5

They sent me a picture of a dead rat.

Quote: Stevie D @ June 22 2012, 3:42 PM BST

Er (...feeling desparate now...) rats are lucky in Chinese culture.

Quote: Tim Azure @ July 16 2012, 11:06 AM BST

Er (...feeling desparate now...) rats are lucky in Chinese culture.

That's how I read it.

Quote: Stevie D @ June 22 2012, 3:42 PM BST

Not everyone gets a photo of Micheal Macintyre

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 21 2012, 4:48 PM BST

Hm, just had a response from the BBC Writersroom, the script I sent is one of just 6% of scripts sent to move onto the next stage, which is feedback. Bit surprised, assumed like many that it's a black-hole for scripts, so quite chuffed. Never sent one before, I only sent an old script in on a bit of a whim. Smiley face.

Seems like I made it past another hurdle in this. Which seems to mean that more people will read and discuss the script I sent. And then I'll either just get feedback, or something else. Not sure what that something else is. Probably a full series commission.

Nice one Matthew! Good luck with it. Is that the same script you had linked on your twitter account cos that was a really nice piece of writing.

I have a couple of episodes of my Foxing Gloves sitcom written but I think I need to work on the characters a bit more before sending.

Quote: Otterfox @ July 30 2012, 1:35 PM BST

Nice one Matthew! Good luck with it. Is that the same script you had linked on your twitter account cos that was a really nice piece of writing.

I have a couple of episodes of my Foxing Gloves sitcom written but I think I need to work on the characters a bit more before sending.

Thanks, it is the same script, yeah. It's actually pretty old, I sent it in because I was no longer trying to do anything with it.

And yes, don't send anything to anyone if you're thinking it could still use work. You will probably only get one chance to put it in front of someone, so make it as good as you can!

@Mattew Oooh well done. What is this talk of twitter? I would like to see it too, just sayin...

Ta, the first few pages are on my website. It is an old script, haven't touched it in about three years, not even before sending it into the Writersroom.

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ May 15 2012, 11:49 PM BST

Often the pilot episode isn't the funniest. Def send the one you think represents your best work. I'm sending off episode 4 of mine.

Sorry, but why have you written four episodes of an un-commissioned sitcom? Are you in prison? Just write one, outline the other eps and put your energy and ideas into something else.

Have you never heard of Art Brut Godot ;)

Well done, Matt. Especially as it was for 'no effort'! :)

Dan

Thanks Dan!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 30 2012, 5:00 PM BST

Sorry, but why have you written four episodes of an un-commissioned sitcom? Are you in prison? Just write one, outline the other eps and put your energy and ideas into something else.

What are you - the sitcom police? What a strange message.

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ August 6 2012, 7:15 PM BST

What are you - the sitcom police? What a strange message.

I often write, and always plan, more than one episode. Why? Mainly because I enjoy doing it - for me it's not just about getting something made.

Also, because I find it really helps develop the characters and the sitcom world. It can then be useful to revisit the original script.

I hope the sitcom police don't arrest me for this. I understand they have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to the enjoyment of writing.