Frankie Boyle Page 15

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 31 2012, 4:55 PM BST

It's starting to sound like someone once told you you had a big nose, Zoo, well you don't your nose is fine - as is Becky Adlington's.

;) Bingo.

Quote: zooo @ July 31 2012, 5:02 PM BST

;) Bingo.

Our society is telling that 'big-nose' joke to women every day, 'cause Cheryl used to have a monster, didn't she?

Instead of attacking FB the Daily Mail should be attacking the culture that suggests there was anything wrong with Cheryl Cole's nose, tits or teeth in the first place.

Z000 are bautful not matter what they say

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 31 2012, 5:11 PM BST

Our society is telling that 'big-nose' joke to women every day, 'cause Cheryl used to have a monster, didn't she?

Instead of attacking FB the Daily Mail should be attacking the culture that suggests there was anything wrong with Cheryl Cole's nose, tits or teeth in the first place.

Sadly no surgery can give beautu to her shrivelled husk of a soul

Quote: sootyj @ July 31 2012, 4:14 PM BST

No idea I hardly watch comedy anymore so they're rough approximations.

There's a smirking Christian one who's always doing lousy puns one after another.

I mean I do it, but as a legitimate sociopathic with a need to cause suffering to others.

I don't even pretend to be funny.

Milton Jones. And I assume the poet is Tim Key (who is thoroughly wonderful).

On topic, Frankie Boyle was once a wonderful comic who appears to have become a caricature of himself. He's like a trained marine who has seen some terrible things, and now, returning to peacetime goes on a wild bulletstrewn rampage and guns down whomever is unfortunate enough to get in his way. Or maybe he is the comedy Brevick.

Is Milton famously a Christian?

I assumed he meant Tim Vine, who is.

I dunno and I don't care.

But aside from Boyle I can't remember the last time I actually laughed at a standup.

Other than I suppose David Mitchell's blog vids. But then he is a living treasure.

I think perhaps I'm getting jaded and humourless and really shouldn't bother with comedy.

Ah Tim Vine, of course. For some reason I thought sooty was just talking about people on Mock The Week, but he wasn't.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 31 2012, 3:44 PM BST

Well, your avatar is Max Miller - a blue comedian from the fifties and earlier who was also banned by BBC and attracted much opprobrium in his life.

No doubt back then people of your age and mindset thought the same about him as he delighted audiences and sold out venues, just like FB.

Interesting comparison. . . .

I assume you've seen videos of Max in action? And noticed the audience age range?

He never swore on stage and he usually left the audience to fill in the blanks then telling them 'It was clean when it left me.'

http://www.thestage.co.uk/features/feature.php/7373/beyond-a-joke-max-miller

He never, from what I have seen, read and heard, made a public hurtful remark to anyone (cf FB) and nor do I believe he ever told 'that joke' . Far too obvious for such a clever comic as Max.

And, as far as I know, he never took opprobrium.

And he was banned in an infinitely more conservative era at the bbc.

Quote: sootyj @ July 31 2012, 9:30 PM BST

And he was banned in an infinitely more conservative era at the bbc.

Good point, well made Bar bera

You only have to look at this list to see what being banned by the BBC means . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_banned_by_the_BBC

His craftsmanship as a comic was something else. He's like Laurel and Hardy or the Marx Brothers in that the subject may date, but the humour doesnt.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 31 2012, 4:21 PM BST

Can't we just go back to laughing at thick working class Irish people dressed as women?

Why drag Danny La Rue into it? If anyone could carry off a dress, he could...and his ankles were sturdy, not thick :P

Quote: sootyj @ July 31 2012, 10:22 PM BST

His craftsmanship as a comic was something else. He's like Laurel and Hardy or the Marx Brothers in that the subject may date, but the humour doesnt.

Off subject I admit but I remember Bob Monkhouse telling the tale of when he was a small time support comic to Max. He said that when Max went on the walls moved in, the ceiling lowered and he was talking to one person, you, the audience.

Quote: sootyj @ July 31 2012, 9:25 PM BST

But aside from Boyle I can't remember the last time I actually laughed at a standup.

Same here and his choice of target with Rebecca Adlington is why he is so funny. He is one of Britain's most popular comedians, has sell out tours and is instantly recognisable.

However, he has been virtually banned from appearing on almost every mainstream talk and panel show because his brand of humour goes against the current fashion of ultra-safe family friendly comedy.

When he does pop up on something, such as Buzzcocks, it is invariably brilliant and memorable. But these forays into television are too sporadic and brief compared to say...I don't know...Michael McIntyre.

So he has to maximize his exposure on Twitter and garner headlines to keep his name out there. Long may he continue to mock, shock and rock.