Frankie Boyle Page 19

But in fairness to him, he does at least try and 'explain' his reasons for making the jokes in the first place. He makes jokes about everything, the paralympics are just another subject to him, hard though that may be to stomach and all this huge gnawing and gnashing of teeth is probably music to his ears.

Quote: Harridan @ August 31 2012, 10:45 PM BST

I probably would too. I've never like Frankie Boyle but I understand why people do, but his claiming to be some kind of equality advocate is just stupid.

Not really. He's the only radical mainstream comedian in Britain. The majority of his material attacks reactionary actions and ideas, some of it is obviously left wing and supports minorities - he cracked at least two pro-Palestinian jokes during his tenure on Mock the Week (which is two more than any other comedian) and only the other day he cracked a joke about Anders Brevik that demolished white supremacy ideas, told a truth about black minorities and upbraided white liberal society. And it was funny.

I do find it strange that so many people want to tell you what they think of him, when it's obvious from what they say that they are largely unfamiliar with his material.

I'm also tired of people being offended on behalf of others - especially when they don't understand the joke - The Saudi/thieves one is a criticism of Saudi Arabia, not disabled people. In case you didn't know the Saudis have public beheadings and maimings every Friday after prayers.

Boyle is about as radical as Bobby Davro.

He's funny, is a peerless writer and teller of gags. He blows Jimmy Carr off the stage.

But radical?

Nah

Quote: sootyj @ September 1 2012, 12:21 AM BST

Boyle is about as radical as Bobby Davro.

He's funny, is a peerless writer and teller of gags. He blows Jimmy Carr off stage.

:O I knew some bloke was but didn't think it was Boyle.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 1 2012, 12:16 AM BST

he cracked a joke about Anders Brevik that demolished white supremacy ideas, told a truth about black minorities and upbraided white liberal society. And it was funny.

Ooh, what was it? (Can't find it on Google.)

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 1 2012, 12:16 AM BST

Not really. He's the only radical mainstream comedian in Britain.

I do find it strange that so many people want to tell you what they think of him, when it's obvious from what they say that they are largely unfamiliar with his material.

I'm also tired of people being offended on behalf of others - especially when they don't understand the joke - The Saudi/thieves one is a criticism of Saudi Arabia, not disabled people. In case you didn't know the Saudis have public beheadings and maimings every Friday after prayers.

I've never detected anything radical in his comedy at all - he's a shock comedian who gets laughs with close to the bone jokes. He's not exposing the untold truths of our society, he's not creating biting satire, he's telling jokes that make people laugh and then go 'oooh, harsh'.

I've seen enough of him - watched Mock the Week (though I haven't made an encyclopaedic record of jokes told as you seem to have :S ) and I've seen one of his stand-up shows, and also gave Tramadol Nights a go but found it unpleasant.

I'm tired of people using the defence that if you personally aren't disabled/black/Jewish/gay/trans/Muslim/female then you can't criticise people who make distasteful jokes about any of those groups.

I got the Saudi joke, I didn't think it would be that offensive to disabled people, but it seems a lot of disabled people did take offence. I thought it was just unpleasant and incredibly old-fashioned.

Quote: zooo @ September 1 2012, 12:32 AM BST

Ooh, what was it? (Can't find it on Google.)

That's because it wasn't on Google, it was on his TV show.

I'm not watching all thattttt. I'll wait till someone writes it down on the internet. ;)

Thanks for the link though. Might give it a try tomorrow.

When I first became aware of Frankie Boyle I liked what I heard but the more I hear about the man the more I dislike him. It all started with the title of his book 'My shit life so far'. Ha bloody ha.

"Isn't it funny - I used a rude word on the cover!"

Piss off.

Quote: Tuumble @ September 1 2012, 1:02 AM BST

When I first became aware of Frankie Boyle I liked what I heard but the more I hear about the man the more I dislike him. It all started with the title of his book 'My shit life so far'. Ha bloody ha.

Piss off.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Harridan @ September 1 2012, 12:34 AM BST

I've never detected anything radical in his comedy at all - he's a shock comedian who gets laughs with close to the bone jokes. He's not exposing the untold truths of our society, he's not creating biting satire, he's telling jokes that make people laugh and then go 'oooh, harsh'.

I've seen enough of him - watched Mock the Week (though I haven't made an encyclopaedic record of jokes told as you seem to have :S ) and I've seen one of his stand-up shows, and also gave Tramadol Nights a go but found it unpleasant.

It's clear you're not really familiar with his work.

You also don't seem to realise the significance of telling a pro-palestinian joke on Mock the Week on BBC1. Boyle told two.

I'm tired of people using the defence that if you personally aren't disabled/black/Jewish/gay/trans/Muslim/female then you can't criticise people who make distasteful jokes about any of those groups.

Well, both positions are valid.

I got the Saudi joke, I didn't think it would be that offensive to disabled people, but it seems a lot of disabled people did take offence. I thought it was just unpleasant and incredibly old-fashioned.

Surely you like old fashioned, you're wearing a cloche hat in your avatar and then went out of fashion 80 years ago.

Quote: Tuumble @ September 1 2012, 1:02 AM BST

Piss off.

So your complaint is the title wasn't funny enough? You should read the book itself - it's hilarious. Even Tim Walker conceded that and he hates FB.

He's very Scottish looking.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 1 2012, 1:21 AM BST

It's clear you're not really familiar with his work.

You also don't seem to realise the significance of telling a pro-palestinian joke on Mock the Week on BBC1. Boyle told two.

Well, both positions are valid.

Surely you like old fashioned, you're wearing a cloche hat in your avatar and then went out of fashion 80 years ago.

Jesus! How much do I have to watch to be familiar with his work?! Do you have to live in his shed to call youself a 'fan'?

You're right, I wasn't aware of the zionist stance of Mock the Week?

Cloche hats are cool. Like bow ties.

But seriously, I do find his form of 'edgy' humour outdated. Saying the unsayable is only interesting if no one's said it. Jimmy Carr beat him to those jokes years ago and he's hardly the most cutting edge comedian.

Who is going to back down first? More importantly, who is going to win the internet??

I'm pretty sure I already won the internet at a school fete. I guessed how many jelly beans there were in a jar.