The Café - Series 1 Page 4

Recommisioned, according to Chortle, not getting its own story: http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/02/09/14813/ruth_jones_gets_a_second_series_of_stella?rss

Dan

More details and suitable respect paid on the British Comedy Guide Dan, naturally: https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000747/sky1_the_cafe_recommissioned_series_2_ralf_little/

Quote: ashfield @ December 18 2011, 9:34 PM GMT

Having watched all 5 episodes, my wife & I are real converts to this refreshingly light entertainment. I was hooked after the first 3 bars of the signature tune. Brilliant. Its low key version of Beyond the Sea immediately sent me off for the music & learn the song.

Whilst promoting the series with friends, I say that there is no sex, no swearing, no violence, just simple acting, plenty of emotional ups & downs and real life situations. Excellent to see some of the "young" comedy talent developing their skills in new areas.

I feel that all the individuals that criticise the programme should watch out when this series gets a broader audience when it moves to the main channels. Then the awards will flow in.

Well done Ralf Little & team.

I see that in two months Ashfield has failed to add to his post total of one, despite showing such an active involvement in life that 3 bars of a show's theme music are enough to send him looking for the sheet music and a singing teacher.

Can't we do something about this kind of thing - PR people connected with a show pretending to be members of the public. It makes a mockery of all the effort people put in here both in the threads and behind the scenes.

Pay for a f**king banner you cheap c**ts.

Godot I think he is the one genuine fan of the show.

Value him, he is rarer than a south sea turtle.

Sooty, you blessed innocent.

This show doesn't even have one fan.

Oh every show has one fan even.

"Noel Fieldings luxury self indulgent wank fest."

Just been to Weston super Mare, they are 3 weeks into filming the next series, filming due to finish end August
Looked like a wedding happening but couldn't find out who or to who

Not seen this one but am slightly drawn to it by some of the descriptions on this thread.

I could be wrong but they invoke memories of early Last Of The Summer Wine when the cafe scenes were a particular highlight, before the farce took over.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Suppose I'd better watch it and find out.

Well it's not a million miles off, but there isn't as much 'action' in the café itself as one might suspect - and it's certainly of a far more glacial nature than Last Of The Summer Wine ever was. It's closer to a sleepy soap than anything one would naturally consider a 'sitcom', really.

Quote: Aaron @ November 24 2011, 4:35 PM GMT

It strikes me that it's one of a (sadly increasing) breed of shows that aren't 'sitcom' in any recognisable, traditional, or identifiable sense of the term. Rather, it's a light-hearted narrative serial. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with such a format or series per se, but when they 'masquerade' (for want of a better term) as sitcom, it's neither accurate nor fair to either the series itself, or to the sitcom genre.

I just find it really quite depressing that so many writers seem to be content with just raising a faint smile rather than inducing proper, full-on belly laughs. Is this really what passes for comedy in the early 21st Century?

My thoughts exactly Aaron and I think a lot of this is down to the success of Gavin and Stacey but at least Corden and Jones managed to raise more than the odd smile in each episode of their show.

The Cafe isn't a sitcom it's a 1/2 hour dramedy.
:(

When is this coming back on and when is Series 1 DVD coming out? I was in Weston last July whilst they were filming it.

The DVD will almost certainly be released when Series 2 begins.

When that'll be exactly, I'm afraid I don't know. Summer or Autumn would be my guess.

Quote: Aaron @ March 25 2013, 8:41 PM GMT

The DVD will almost certainly be released when Series 2 begins.

When that'll be exactly, I'm afraid I don't know. Summer or Autumn would be my guess.

I hope it's soon as I quite enjoyed the first series.

I really didn't like it.

Quote: David Smith @ March 25 2013, 8:43 PM GMT

I really didn't like it.

Eh? The Cafe was decent , very watchable! Not laugh out load but good.