Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 2

Quote: David Bussell @ June 18 2012, 8:42 AM BST

Even if, in some cases, they brutally assault a toilet attendant.

By co-incidence, the word 'toilet' does link my three examples.

Michael McIntyre is the comedian for The One Show Generation. An incredibly safe, family friendly comedian with good timing and stage presence.

People don't want to see challenging, thought provoking or controversial material, they don't want to examine their perceptions and prejudices or face the crushing realities of our contemporary world. They want mock outrage over everyday trivial matters that they can easily identify with using the minimum of effort.

McIntyre has been marketed as the Disney version of stand up comedy - cuddly, cute and overwhelmingly inoffensive. He is an entertainment product, ideally suited for a modern consumerist age, where presentation, placement and branding are more important than taste, quality or depth, akin to a Sainsbury's banana or green pepper on the supermarket shelf.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 18 2012, 12:39 PM BST

McIntyre has been marketed as the Disney version of stand up comedy - cuddly, cute and overwhelmingly inoffensive.

Apart from his blow job material.

Quote: zooo @ June 18 2012, 12:43 PM BST

Apart from his blow job material.

You're obssessed with blow jobs zooo.

I haven't seen McIntyre's oral sex material, but no doubt, it is so shockingly offensive and graphic, that it would make Frankie Boyle, Jerry Sadowitz and Richard Pryor blush with embarrassment.

Unimpressed

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 18 2012, 12:47 PM BST

You're obssessed with blow jobs zooo.

:D

I'm just saying he's not as inoffensive and 100% family friendly as many people seem to keep saying. Don't watch him with your mum! You might be in for an awkward moment or two.

Quote: zooo @ June 18 2012, 12:50 PM BST

Don't watch him with your mum!

There goes my rocking Saturday night. :(

Michael McIntyre is the comedian for The One Show Generation. An incredibly safe, family friendly comedian with good timing and stage presence.

People don't want to see challenging, thought provoking or controversial material, they don't want to examine their perceptions and prejudices or face the crushing realities of our contemporary world. They want mock outrage over everyday trivial matters that they can easily identify with using the minimum of effort.

McIntyre has been marketed as the Disney version of stand up comedy - cuddly, cute and overwhelmingly inoffensive. He is an entertainment product, ideally suited for a modern consumerist age, where presentation, placement and branding are more important than taste, quality or depth, akin to a Sainsbury's banana or green pepper on the supermarket shelf.

Hear, hear.

People don't want to see challenging, thought provoking or controversial material, they don't want to examine their perceptions and prejudices or face the crushing realities of our contemporary world.

Man you know how to have a good Saturday night.

Or to summarise, "people watching comedy want to laugh".

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 18 2012, 7:41 PM BST

Or to summarise, "people watching comedy want to laugh".

I've seen Michael McIntyre on television, weirdly, I didn't laugh once. It must be my fault.

He's good at what he does, and what he does is the sort of thing that can appeal to a wide spread of different people, rather than one small section; which is why he's popular.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 18 2012, 9:27 PM BST

I've seen Michael McIntyre on television, weirdly, I didn't laugh once. It must be my fault. I just wanted to rock him in my arms and squeeze round cheeks and keep him safe from harm forever.

He's like an adult Justin Beiber isn't he?

Quote: sootyj @ June 18 2012, 9:31 PM BST

He's like an adult Justin Beiber isn't he?

He's less controversial than Justin Bieber.

Yeah, Michael McIntyre wouldn't come out and say that "these things happen for a reason" when asked about abortion after rape.

I like some of his stuff. It appeals to a mass audience, it's that kind of thing. I wouldn't go and see him live, but then again I wouldn't go and see anyone in a stadium. It seems pretty pointless. Like that Hello Wembly DVD he did is ridiculous. Half the audience is miles away watching it on a massive screen. I'd just wait for the DVD.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 18 2012, 9:27 PM BST

I've seen Michael McIntyre on television, weirdly, I didn't laugh once. It must be my fault.

Not at all, you don't find MM funny but a LOT of people do, that is why he's on TV a lot and someone like Stewart Lee isn't. Comedy is subjective but why, when lots of people do find McIntyre funny do you think they are "wrong" in some way?

Most people want nothing more from their comedy than be made to laugh, they don't want to be "educated" or "challenged" just made to laugh, what's so wrong with that?