Top Sitcom Monster?

Who do you think the top sitcom monsters are? I know a lot of people think of Basil Fawlty, David Brent and Alan Partridge as sitcom monsters, but I tend to disagree, to me they're all endearing in different ways. IMO, the biggest monster in a sitcom is Chris Finch in The Office. He's a bully and a bore and the sort of person you just don't want to be around. And the fact he's so realistic, thanks to a masterful performance by Ralph Ineson, makes him all the more monstrous... Any other suggestions?

Top monsters for me would include Basil Fawlty, Alan Partridge, Alan Statham, Rigsby and Elizabeth Mainwaring.

Very good question!

I suppose Edmund Blackadder would be an obvious answer, but I think he's more frustrated by the utter idiocy of those around him than an actual monster per se. Rigsby could also be another candidate, but again, I think he's just a bit stubborn and insecure.

Interesting question. Will have to think a bit...

The best monsters are probably those that you don't see. Mrs Mainwaring, as previously mentioned, Maris and Mrs Barraclough are a few examples.

C.J. is one of the best to have shown his face.

Dr. Kelso or Harry Grout?

Although Dr. Kelso is occasionally nice.

Alan B'Stard wasn't very nice!

1. Alf Garnett (Till Death us do Part)
2. Eddie Booth (Love thy Neighbour)
3. Blakey (On the Buses)

All of the above
Vivian & Rick - The Young Ones

Yeah, I wouldn't really consider Brent, Partridge or Fawlty monsters.

Jill Tyrell - Nighty Night

Mr. Burns - The Simpsons

Quote: Mike @ February 8, 2007, 7:47 AM

Jill Tyrell - Nighty Night

Ooo -- good call! She's the most horrible individual *ever* on tv!

(with the obvious exception of anyone who's ever appeared in a reality show)

Dan

Pauline, the Restart Officer from League Of Gentlemen. Although in the second and third series, when her life fell to pieces you ended up feeling sympathy for her. And I guess the true monsters you never feel sympathy for.

Steptoe. His selfishness frequently and deliberately prevented Harold finding happiness.

Though the Vindaloo beast in Red Dwarf certainly competes as "top sitcom monster"!

-Kyle

Steptoe is a great monster. Not only manipulative and destructive, but physically disgusting as well. I think the best Red Dwarf monsters were when the crew met evil versions of themselves in the episode where Red Dwarf was duplicated twice.

Quote: chipolata @ February 14, 2007, 10:16 AM

I think the best Red Dwarf monsters were when the crew met evil versions of themselves in the episode where Red Dwarf was duplicated twice.

Specifically, the Rimmer character in that:

'I'm going to whip you within an inch of your life. And then... I'm going to *have* you.'

My flesh still creeps when I see that episode and hear evil Rimmer say that!

Does anyone else find the characters of Marjorie Dawes in Little Britain and Pauline from The League of Gentlemen precariously close in style and appearance? How there have never been legal proceedings over the similarities is beyond me.

-Kyle